Gear Research Making Me Crazy

PokerStogey

IMG_9157.jpg

'16 Rubi Camping/Trail Rig
Evo Enforcer Stage 1
37x12.50s
Stock 4.10s and auto tranny

I think I have read so much with regards doing a regear that I'm even dumber than I was when I started.

The 2020 shit show and recent spinal surgery put our rig upgrades on the back burner for a bit but I would really like to take advantage of Black Friday and finally grab some gears in a couple weeks.

I'm leaning towards 5.13s but fear they would be too much. We drive the jeep to the trails (Rubicon is about 6.5 hrs away) and favorite camp spots, sometimes even towing a military trailer set up as a base camp. It's not my daily but enjoy driving it around town and do so pretty regular as well.

For those of you on 37s, would 4.88s be a better option? Anyone have experience with both? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bmkrinne

Go 5.13 and don’t look back!!! You’ll love them!!

I had the same dilemma with 37’s and regeared to 4.88. It was still sluggish and downshifted on slight hills. I regeared again to 5.13 and couldn’t be happier. They are the perfect gears for the auto 3.6L on 37’s!!!

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’d second 5:13s, 4:88s are fine for flat land, but hills and mount, 5:13s are better.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I'm running 4.88s in my fairly light 2dr, it's my dd and it has plenty of get up and go. If I had a 4dr I think I'd want the 5.13s though. Driving through the mountains in TN it did hunt for gears a bit and probably would have been worse in a heavier 4dr.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I'm running 4.88s in my fairly light 2dr, it's my dd and it has plenty of get up and go. If I had a 4dr I think I'd want the 5.13s though. Driving through the mountains in TN it did hunt for gears a bit and probably would have been worse in a heavier 4dr.

I live in Illinois so it doesn't get much flatter than that lol

jesse3638

Hooked
I just regeared and went 5:13's, granted I have a manual, and absolutely love it. I still have over 300 miles to go on the break in and can't wait to see how they perform off road. 35's were tolerable on stock 4:10's, but 37's were terrible. I'd have to usually drop to 4th on a hill to maintain 50-55 mph.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
5:13's all the way. I've run both 4:88's and 5:13's on 37's and the 5:13's really make a difference.

PokerStogey

Go 5.13 and don’t look back!!! You’ll love them!!

I had the same dilemma with 37’s and regeared to 4.88. It was still sluggish and downshifted on slight hills. I regeared again to 5.13 and couldn’t be happier. They are the perfect gears for the auto 3.6L on 37’s!!!

I’d second 5:13s, 4:88s are fine for flat land, but hills and mount, 5:13s are better.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I just regeared and went 5:13's, granted I have a manual, and absolutely love it. I still have over 300 miles to go on the break in and can't wait to see how they perform off road. 35's were tolerable on stock 4:10's, but 37's were terrible. I'd have to usually drop to 4th on a hill to maintain 50-55 mph.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

5:13's all the way. I've run both 4:88's and 5:13's on 37's and the 5:13's really make a difference.

I’m on 4.88 with the manual and 37s, and wish I went with 5.13s.

Well, looks like 5.13s it is... I really appreciate all the feedback guys! Looking forward to it!

A lot of others have said it and I’ll echo the same, 5.13’s all the way. I wanted a gear that would work for 37’s and in the event I went bigger (and recently did) they would also be a good fit. As a result I had plenty of power for the hills and a good gear for crawling and when I went to 39’s... I stayed in a good power band and even picked up a little MPG. 4.88’s are fine if you stick to pavement and flat areas but you’ll want that extra pull if you do any kind of hills with a loaded up Jeep.

jdofmemi

As above, go with 5.13s

I had them originally in my '15 on 37s, and I loved it. Lots of long distance trips, and I was very happy with the performance, and never thought about wanting anything else.

My upgraded axles came with 4.88, and it is just not the same. I'm going to live with it, and off road it is fine because the Rubicon T-case is low enough, but on road I'm constantly going into 4th gear for the slightest incline or headwind.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I have 4.88s with 37s and don’t like the setup . Think it contributes to faster overheating on the hills .

I’m not going to regear at this point .. but there are always axles down the road.

Only had the Jeep for a little over 2 years . Things change fast

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

PokerStogey

A lot of others have said it and I’ll echo the same, 5.13’s all the way. I wanted a gear that would work for 37’s and in the event I went bigger (and recently did) they would also be a good fit. As a result I had plenty of power for the hills and a good gear for crawling and when I went to 39’s... I stayed in a good power band and even picked up a little MPG. 4.88’s are fine if you stick to pavement and flat areas but you’ll want that extra pull if you do any kind of hills with a loaded up Jeep.

Thanks brother, appreciate the feedback.

PokerStogey

As above, go with 5.13s

I had them originally in my '15 on 37s, and I loved it. Lots of long distance trips, and I was very happy with the performance, and never thought about wanting anything else.

My upgraded axles came with 4.88, and it is just not the same. I'm going to live with it, and off road it is fine because the Rubicon T-case is low enough, but on road I'm constantly going into 4th gear for the slightest incline or headwind.

I have 4.88s with 37s and don’t like the setup . Think it contributes to faster overheating on the hills .

I’m not going to regear at this point .. but there are always axles down the road.

Only had the Jeep for a little over 2 years . Things change fast

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks guys, appreciate your time

Top Bottom