Big Bend National Park Dec 5-6

FFPulley77

Hooked
Heading out to Big Bend National Park for some light wheeling and back country camping. Going to hit Black Gap (Badge of Honor trail) and possibly Old Ore Rd. If anyone wants to go or has any info on these two trails let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Heading out to Big Bend National Park for some light wheeling and back country camping. Going to hit Black Gap (Badge of Honor trail) and possibly Old Ore Rd. If anyone wants to go or has any info on these two trails let me know.

Make sure to stop at High Sierra bar if you’re spending any time in Terlingua. Good people there. Would love to get back to Big Bend some day. Have fun, be safe.

TGPJKUR

Check out Mariscal Mine, I was just there in the beginning of March before everything went sideways. It is not far off Black Gap road. Black Gap road is a pretty easy trail with one small shelf to climb and some spots you can get a little twisty if you want. I will say that it was dry when I was there and I am on 37s. I have seen it can get real sloppy if it has rained recently. I loved my trip there and can't wait to get back, enjoy the trip!

DSC05570.jpg

FFPulley77

Hooked
Check out Mariscal Mine, I was just there in the beginning of March before everything went sideways. It is not far off Black Gap road. Black Gap road is a pretty easy trail with one small shelf to climb and some spots you can get a little twisty if you want. I will say that it was dry when I was there and I am on 37s. I have seen it can get real sloppy if it has rained recently. I loved my trip there and can't wait to get back, enjoy the trip!

View attachment 355839

Thanks! I’m definitely going to check out the mine. I’m camping at Pine Canyon 5 the first night then camping at Ernst Basin off of Old Ore Road the second night. Planning on getting to the summit of Emory Peak somewhere in between all that. I think Black Gap will be fine, I’ve been out to Hidden Falls and did 2’s and 3’s. The 3’s I was on look worse than that step.

Last edited:

TGPJKUR

Sounds like an awesome visit. I drove in from Terlingua for two days of exploring. I drove all around the Chisos mountains and regret not having time to get there. The fuel pumps at Panther Junction are still useable with a credit card after the station closes, this was fortunate otherwise I would have had to use the 3 gallons of gas in the rotopax! Next time I get a chance to go I would like to spend five days there, two went by so fast.

tgutierrez

I’ll be heading down there the first weekend of February (same as Super Bowl weekend, but my team isnt playing) Any tips?

FFPulley77

Hooked
I’ll be heading down there the first weekend of February (same as Super Bowl weekend, but my team isnt playing) Any tips?

If you’re going for trails, Black Gap is the BoH trail and I did it easily in a stock height 2 door Jk. Ole Ore is long but fun. Black Gap is more scenic. The rest of the unimproved roads are just rocky dirt roads. I camped at Pine Canyon #5 the first night and Ernst Basin the second night. Pine Canyon was by far my favorite IMG_4405.jpg

tgutierrez

If you’re going for trails, Black Gap is the BoH trail and I did it easily in a stock height 2 door Jk. Ole Ore is long but fun. Black Gap is more scenic. The rest of the unimproved roads are just rocky dirt roads. I camped at Pine Canyon #5 the first night and Ernst Basin the second night. Pine Canyon was by far my favorite

Awesome! Thanks for the info man

tgutierrez

Thanks for the helpful info Pulley, it came in handy! We took Glenn Springs Rd. To Black Gap and West on River Rd. We camped out at Loop Camp alongside the Rio Grande for the night. It was a memorable (and slightly freezing) night. Next morning we stopped by the Santa Elena Canyon, north along the Old Maverick Rd and finally North to Alpine, TX. Soooo much park left for us to see, I will have to definitely plan another trip!

FFPulley77

Hooked
Thanks for the helpful info Pulley, it came in handy! We took Glenn Springs Rd. To Black Gap and West on River Rd. We camped out at Loop Camp alongside the Rio Grande for the night. It was a memorable (and slightly freezing) night. Next morning we stopped by the Santa Elena Canyon, north along the Old Maverick Rd and finally North to Alpine, TX. Soooo much park left for us to see, I will have to definitely plan another trip!

I’m glad you enjoyed it!! I’ve got a lot more to see out there, too! It’s a beautiful place. Alpine is a cool little town. We stopped and got coffee at a cool cafe on the way back home.

I like that pic of the step on Black Gap. I didn’t get any when I went up because it was just me and my buddy in my Jeep and he said he wanted to ride up.

Yeah, we froze our asses off too. We had a little tent heater that helped a bit.

tgutierrez

I’m glad you enjoyed it!! I’ve got a lot more to see out there, too! It’s a beautiful place. Alpine is a cool little town. We stopped and got coffee at a cool cafe on the way back home.

I like that pic of the step on Black Gap. I didn’t get any when I went up because it was just me and my buddy in my Jeep and he said he wanted to ride up.

Yeah, we froze our asses off too. We had a little tent heater that helped a bit.

Next time, I will definitely take a mattress or mat, I didn’t anticipate my campsite was gonna a field of jagged rocks haha.

FFPulley77

Hooked
Next time, I will definitely take a mattress or mat, I didn’t anticipate my campsite was gonna a field of jagged rocks haha.

Ha! Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I have a self inflating mat from Gear Doctor that I got off Amazon. It worked like a champ.

FFPulley77

Hooked
I’m heading back out to Big Bend from Sept. 3-6. Hitting a few of the trails out there, camping and hiking. If anyone wants to head out there, let me know.

RCC

This will only be my second trip out there, but I fell in love with that place on my first trip. I’ve got more places that I want to go and more trails to explore.
This will be my first offroading/exploring trip so I am very much looking forward to it. My gladiator should be finished in September so I am looking forward to putting miles and light trail use on it before moving on to bigger things.

Top Bottom