Beadlock Balance

210JKU

For those that have mounted their own bead locks, are you balancing them at all? Or are the just fine w/out getting them balanced? Thoughts on balancing beads?

I’m asking b/c I’m currently stationed in the U.K. and looking to move up to 37s since my tires will need to be replaced soon, however, it is nearly impossible to find a shop to mount and balance anything over a 35 here.

If not balancing them isn’t an issue I can get bead locks and tires shipped here.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

A.J.

Roll the dice. 37’s sometimes need to be balanced more so than 40’s. You can mount them yourself and then IF you need to balance them it’s easier to find a shop to do just the balance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Its going to be a crap shoot as AJ suggests. Some tires need balancing, others maybe not. My Toyos on beadlocks needed a fair amount of weight to balance. I just replaced them with Nitto mud grapplers and, although they probably could use a little weight here and there, I haven’t had them balanced and they drive fine.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I still haven’t had to balance my TG’s... but they are 35’s and Load E so probably irrelevant here... I really just came here to brag. Lol

kbp810

Caught the Bug
As far as balance beads go...

I've never had any luck with them... ends up being a tedious PITA of trial and error. Remove rings, put beads in, tediously reinstall ring, doesn't work, still shakes. Remove rings, put more in, reinstall rings, still doesn't work. Take it in for a balance, find out they won't touch it with beads in it... come home, break all the rings down again to vacuum all the beads out.. good times!

I once got close to balance with beads when I was in a pinch and couldn't get to a shop before having to leave for a trip (having seemingly not learned my lesson before)... almost seemed to work at first; but anytime I stopped, it took a few seconds before they'd stop shaking after going again; every time I'd go through a curve, they'd start shaking until I was going straight again; every time I hit a bump in the road, they'd start shaking for a few seconds, unless there were more bumps. That, and it didn't make them roll smooth, it just made them tolerable (barely). Then of course after I got home, had to break them down and vacuum out all the beads before heading to the tire shop.

You should be able to find a shop somewhere that can spin them.

MericaMade

As far as balance beads go...

I've never had any luck with them... ends up being a tedious PITA of trial and error. Remove rings, put beads in, tediously reinstall ring, doesn't work, still shakes. Remove rings, put more in, reinstall rings, still doesn't work. Take it in for a balance, find out they won't touch it with beads in it... come home, break all the rings down again to vacuum all the beads out.. good times!

I once got close to balance with beads when I was in a pinch and couldn't get to a shop before having to leave for a trip (having seemingly not learned my lesson before)... almost seemed to work at first; but anytime I stopped, it took a few seconds before they'd stop shaking after going again; every time I'd go through a curve, they'd start shaking until I was going straight again; every time I hit a bump in the road, they'd start shaking for a few seconds, unless there were more bumps. That, and it didn't make them roll smooth, it just made them tolerable (barely). Then of course after I got home, had to break them down and vacuum out all the beads before heading to the tire shop.

You should be able to find a shop somewhere that can spin them.

You took off the beadlock ring? You can remove the vale stem and pour right into the tire.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
I think one of the biggest factors pertaining to the requirement of balancing is the quality of your tires and beadlocks.

I am running KMC Machetes with Nitto Trail Grapplers on my JK. I have run both 37 and 40-inch Nittos with no balancing required. I mounted them myself and I am militant about rotating tires and insuring suspension torque as well as beadlock ring bolt torque are orrect. I also did the ‘chalk’ test to determine the correct tire pressure for my Jeep.

I have driven my Jeep from Virginia to California and back. I drove speeds of up to 85 mph ( downhill with a tailwind :cheesy: ) and it’s been rock steady. I do have quality EVO and King suspension components so I’m sure that does not hurt the stability. While it is a workout I definitely enjoy mounting my tires to beadlocks myself because I know it’s done correctly, it gives me peace of mind and I have a better understanding of my Jeep. :thumb:

There are some great videos by Eddy and EVO that will help out. I would highly recommend doing the work yourself and skipping the shop.

jesse3638

Hooked
I think one of the biggest factors pertaining to the requirement of balancing is the quality of your tires and beadlocks.

I am running KMC Machetes with Nitto Trail Grapplers on my JK. I have run both 37 and 40-inch Nittos with no balancing required. I mounted them myself and I am militant about rotating tires and insuring suspension torque as well as beadlock ring bolt torque are orrect. I also did the ‘chalk’ test to determine the correct tire pressure for my Jeep.

I have driven my Jeep from Virginia to California and back. I drove speeds of up to 85 mph ( downhill with a tailwind :cheesy: ) and it’s been rock steady. I do have quality EVO and King suspension components so I’m sure that does not hurt the stability. While it is a workout I definitely enjoy mounting my tires to beadlocks myself because I know it’s done correctly, it gives me peace of mind and I have a better understanding of my Jeep. :thumb:

There are some great videos by Eddy and EVO that will help out. I would highly recommend doing the work yourself and skipping the shop.
^^^This^^^

I do the same thing. My local America's tire will balance them for me. Some take a lot of weight some take a little.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Balancing beads BLOW. Yeah they kinda work, but your tires sound like maracas and if you hit a bump at the same time you’re getting going they bounce themselves to the wrong spot and make it worse.

210JKU

I appreciate everyone’s input. I may end up pulling the trigger on some Coopers or KM3s as well as some beadlocks.

I’m going to check if any of the shops are able to balance 37s and skip the balance beads.

MericaMade

I appreciate everyone’s input. I may end up pulling the trigger on some Coopers or KM3s as well as some beadlocks.

I’m going to check if any of the shops are able to balance 37s and skip the balance beads.

Most will if you bring them the tire and wheels off the jeep so all they have to do is balance and be done. I want to say I paid $15 per tire at a local shop.

Sent from my SM-G781V using WAYALIFE mobile app

kbp810

Caught the Bug
You took off the beadlock ring? You can remove the vale stem and pour right into the tire.

Was trying to stick with the bigger beads; the smaller ones I've been told can start to clump from condensation after airing up/down a few times or big temperature swings. Also have one friend who's valve stems would occasionally jam up with them when using a rapid deflate tool (and in the end beads didn't work out for him either). Also, that one time in a pinch was using airsoft BB's as it was all I could find on the fly.

jesse3638

Hooked
Most will if you bring them the tire and wheels off the jeep so all they have to do is balance and be done. I want to say I paid $15 per tire at a local shop.

Sent from my SM-G781V using WAYALIFE mobile app
My local America's Tire (Discount Tire) will balance them no questions asked. Just drive the jeep up and they do their thing. Even pull the spare down as long as I give them the wheel lock. I think its cheaper than $15 a Tire too.

JYough

My local America's Tire (Discount Tire) will balance them no questions asked. Just drive the jeep up and they do their thing. Even pull the spare down as long as I give them the wheel lock. I think its cheaper than $15 a Tire too.

Not here in Texas. Last time I tried to have Discount tire balance my beadlocks they told me they were illegal to have on the road and they wouldn’t touch them. I even asked if I could take them off the Jeep and bring them in the bed of a pickup they said no.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Not here in Texas. Last time I tried to have Discount tire balance my beadlocks they told me they were illegal to have on the road and they wouldn’t touch them. I even asked if I could take them off the Jeep and bring them in the bed of a pickup they said no.

What JY said. It is against their corporate policy. They used to do it for a long time now they won’t because they don’t want someone to report them. I’ve had a few managers tell me they would love to but can’t take the risk.

bkac

Caught the Bug
What JY said. It is against their corporate policy. They used to do it for a long time now they won’t because they don’t want someone to report them. I’ve had a few managers tell me they would love to but can’t take the risk.

That’s funny to hear and I’m sure true. My local DT balances and rotates mine and 4-5 other friends that go there. They will do everything but mount them. I did buy the Nittos and KMCs from them so that might help my cause.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That’s funny to hear and I’m sure true. My local DT balances and rotates mine and 4-5 other friends that go there. They will do everything but mount them. I did buy the Nittos and KMCs from them so that might help my cause.

Yeah like I said still hit or miss. The one I used to go to in San Diego didn’t think twice. The ones in Orange County/riverside county, wouldn’t touch them. Haven’t tried up north yet but I think discount on here told me it was against their policy now. I want to say beginning of 2019 but maybe 2018.

Top Bottom