Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beadlock Balance

Beadlock Balance

For those that have mounted their own bead locks, are you balancing them at all? Or are the just fine w/out getting them balanced? Thoughts on balancing beads?

Iím asking b/c Iím currently stationed in the U.K. and looking to move up to 37s since my tires will need to be replaced soon, however, it is nearly impossible to find a shop to mount and balance anything over a 35 here.

If not balancing them isnít an issue I can get bead locks and tires shipped here.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Roll the dice. 37ís sometimes need to be balanced more so than 40ís. You can mount them yourself and then IF you need to balance them itís easier to find a shop to do just the balance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Its going to be a crap shoot as AJ suggests. Some tires need balancing, others maybe not. My Toyos on beadlocks needed a fair amount of weight to balance. I just replaced them with Nitto mud grapplers and, although they probably could use a little weight here and there, I havenít had them balanced and they drive fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

My Coopers needed a small amount of weight and my BFGs needed a lot.

Sent from my SM-G781V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I still havenít had to balance my TGís... but they are 35ís and Load E so probably irrelevant here... I really just came here to brag. Lol

Caught the Bug
    As far as balance beads go...

I've never had any luck with them... ends up being a tedious PITA of trial and error. Remove rings, put beads in, tediously reinstall ring, doesn't work, still shakes. Remove rings, put more in, reinstall rings, still doesn't work. Take it in for a balance, find out they won't touch it with beads in it... come home, break all the rings down again to vacuum all the beads out.. good times!

I once got close to balance with beads when I was in a pinch and couldn't get to a shop before having to leave for a trip (having seemingly not learned my lesson before)... almost seemed to work at first; but anytime I stopped, it took a few seconds before they'd stop shaking after going again; every time I'd go through a curve, they'd start shaking until I was going straight again; every time I hit a bump in the road, they'd start shaking for a few seconds, unless there were more bumps. That, and it didn't make them roll smooth, it just made them tolerable (barely). Then of course after I got home, had to break them down and vacuum out all the beads before heading to the tire shop.

You should be able to find a shop somewhere that can spin them.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    I still havenít had to balance my TGís... but they are 35ís and Load E so probably irrelevant here... I really just came here to brag. Lol
    Yeah, but where you live you rarely get over 15MPH, so you'd never notice anyway.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by kbp810 View Post
    As far as balance beads go...

I've never had any luck with them... ends up being a tedious PITA of trial and error. Remove rings, put beads in, tediously reinstall ring, doesn't work, still shakes. Remove rings, put more in, reinstall rings, still doesn't work. Take it in for a balance, find out they won't touch it with beads in it... come home, break all the rings down again to vacuum all the beads out.. good times!

I once got close to balance with beads when I was in a pinch and couldn't get to a shop before having to leave for a trip (having seemingly not learned my lesson before)... almost seemed to work at first; but anytime I stopped, it took a few seconds before they'd stop shaking after going again; every time I'd go through a curve, they'd start shaking until I was going straight again; every time I hit a bump in the road, they'd start shaking for a few seconds, unless there were more bumps. That, and it didn't make them roll smooth, it just made them tolerable (barely). Then of course after I got home, had to break them down and vacuum out all the beads before heading to the tire shop.

You should be able to find a shop somewhere that can spin them.
    You took off the beadlock ring? You can remove the vale stem and pour right into the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    Yeah, but where you live you rarely get over 15MPH, so you'd never notice anyway.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Oh .. Right.

I think one of the biggest factors pertaining to the requirement of balancing is the quality of your tires and beadlocks.

I am running KMC Machetes with Nitto Trail Grapplers on my JK. I have run both 37 and 40-inch Nittos with no balancing required. I mounted them myself and I am militant about rotating tires and insuring suspension torque as well as beadlock ring bolt torque are orrect. I also did the Ďchalkí test to determine the correct tire pressure for my Jeep.

I have driven my Jeep from Virginia to California and back. I drove speeds of up to 85 mph ( downhill with a tailwind ) and itís been rock steady. I do have quality EVO and King suspension components so Iím sure that does not hurt the stability. While it is a workout I definitely enjoy mounting my tires to beadlocks myself because I know itís done correctly, it gives me peace of mind and I have a better understanding of my Jeep.

There are some great videos by Eddy and EVO that will help out. I would highly recommend doing the work yourself and skipping the shop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast