Long term feedback on Dyna Pro Grips

303Nubbins

Evening Wayalifers, I read the posts on the Dyna BBK, originally I was considering alternate kits. This GD COVID crap has given me cabin fever...might as well be productive and install new stoppers. Wondering if anyone using the Pro Grips have any revelations or regrets.....

My JK is a 2 door with 35s....Pointers? Advice? Much appreciated:rock:

Last edited:
In a nutshell they are a great upgrade IF you’re currently having issues with stopping, weather that’s on the trail or daily driving, or if you plan on going bigger in tire or carry a bunch of gear that weighs your Jeep down.

If you’re not really playing in the dirt much and your Jeep is just a street rig, I’d say a good brake pad is likely sufficient.

That being said, I’ve been running my Pro grip brake kit now for 3 years and it has made a noticeable difference. Pads last about a year for me (35k) give or take. Currently on my second set of front and rear and about to change them. Rotors have lasted this long but now they need to be turned or replaced as they are starting to glaze. My Jeep isn’t the heaviest but she’s still a big girl. 4drs and 39’s with armor and I’m always carrying at least 100-200 lbs in the back worth of tools and other gear for my job.

Zero regrets. Love em. I’d get them again. Are there kits out there that stop better? Perhaps. But by far the most effective AND simplest kit IMO.

Last edited:

303Nubbins

In a nutshell they are a great upgrade IF youÂ’re currently having issues with stopping, weather thatÂ’s on the trail or daily driving, or if you plan on going bigger in tire or carry a bunch of gear that weighs your Jeep down.

Zero regrets. Love em. IÂ’d get them again. Are there kits out there that stop better? Perhaps. But by far the most effective AND simplest kit IMO.

The goal when I got the lil 2 door was to build a fun winter driver. To keep the weight down because of the horror stories read/viewed on the anemic 3.8L and go bouncing around and not break anything...on purpose.

Fast forward 9 months later....suffice it to say, I began this journey with frugal intentions only to have the aftermarket Satans entice me into a different direction....

The added mass is evident, the expected weight increase driven by future upgrades (couple 100 lbs here and there, new front axle in the spring and under belly skids) and the fact that I-70 has a 7% grade with some twisties before reaching the bottom give me pause...I am careful, it is the idiots texting I am a worried about....

Thanks for your feedback, I wondered about the life span of the components and I suspect someone would experience similar results on a pad upgrade.....thank you, loving Wayalife members no BS, straight poop insights.

Last edited:
The goal when I got the lil 2 door was to build a fun winter driver. To keep the weight down because of the horror stories read/viewed on the anemic 3.8L and go bouncing around and not break anything...on purpose.

Fast forward 9 months later....suffice it to say, I began this journey with frugal intentions only to have the aftermarket Satans entice me into a different direction....

The added mass is evident, the expected weight increase driven by future upgrades (couple 100 lbs here and there, new front axle in the spring and under belly skids) and the fact that I-70 has a 7% grade with some twisties before reaching the bottom give me pause...I am careful, it is the idiots texting I am a worried about....

Thanks for your feedback, I wondered about the life span of the components and I suspect someone would experience similar results on a pad upgrade.....thank you, loving Wayalife members no BS, straight poop insights.

IMO it really is a worthy investment. And unlike other kits that require you to run their brake pad... in a pinch you can buy OE brake pads from any parts store. That being said I just order them up from Dynatrac when I know they’re getting close. I’m surprised at how long the pads last to be honest. For a performance pad I think they’re great. Like I said, I get about 35k miles out of a set and I’m driving our canyons and mountains regularly as well as weekly wheeling trips. I’ll be replacing my rotors in the spring and they have well over 70k miles on them.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Just installed mine a few weeks ago... First drive with them was 4hrs away and to a trail with some pretty steep & long declines... and a narrow shelf road with a 200ft drop. The whole trip I was thinking that upgrade was 100% worth the money... I felt safe & in control with less effort on the peddle.

jesse3638

Hooked
IMO it really is a worthy investment. And unlike other kits that require you to run their brake pad... in a pinch you can buy OE brake pads from any parts store. That being said I just order them up from Dynatrac when I know they’re getting close. I’m surprised at how long the pads last to be honest. For a performance pad I think they’re great. Like I said, I get about 35k miles out of a set and I’m driving our canyons and mountains regularly as well as weekly wheeling trips. I’ll be replacing my rotors in the spring and they have well over 70k miles on them.
Why not just turn them? Do you know if they a proprietary rotor?

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

303Nubbins

Just installed mine a few weeks ago... First drive with them was 4hrs away and to a trail with some pretty steep & long declines... and a narrow shelf road with a 200ft drop. The whole trip I was thinking that upgrade was 100% worth the money... I felt safe & in control with less effort on the peddle.

Great feedback! Thank you!

303Nubbins

That info helps. I’m pretty certain I’ll need brakes by spring....makes sense to upgrade and I really like the Dynatrac kit....big pretty calipers are cool and all....but......

Why not just turn them? Do you know if they a proprietary rotor?

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I actually will try that first. Some of the shops here are weird about turning rotors if you don’t have them do your brakes at the same time and pretty much all of them have a policy about installing “customer supplied parts.” So it all else fails I’ll replace them.
As far as them being proprietary I do know that their rotors have a special design feature that makes them more ridged. Aside from their larger side I’m not sure if anything else sets them apart. Seems like it would be a major PITA to try and source aftermarket rotors that are the same diameter. I’ll just get them from Dynatrac

zimm

Caught the Bug
I put on Pro-grips 40k miles ago. Been through 2 sets of rear pads and discs (they last about 20k). When I was ready for new fronts, I decided to try the Crown front BBK and kept the rears. Much bigger calipers and pads, slightly smaller rotors, bigger master cylinder. Didn't notice any real difference over the old pro-grips. Both are great.

Last edited:

Bierpower

Hooked
I actually will try that first. Some of the shops here are weird about turning rotors if you don’t have them do your brakes at the same time and pretty much all of them have a policy about installing “customer supplied parts.” So it all else fails I’ll replace them.
As far as them being proprietary I do know that their rotors have a special design feature that makes them more ridged. Aside from their larger side I’m not sure if anything else sets them apart. Seems like it would be a major PITA to try and source aftermarket rotors that are the same diameter. I’ll just get them from Dynatrac
If your trying to get them turned, every NAPA I've ever been to has a lathe. That's where I've always gotten flywheels done for clutch jobs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom