Comms

Jimmypaget

So I’ve got the uniden bear cat 980 but I rarely find myself using it these days, either because others don’t have cb or it just doesn’t pick up very well. I’m really on the fence about a rugged setup for the jku. What are you all running for comms these days?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think more and more people out in the west are moving over to race radios like what Rugged makes. Only problem is, with the exception of Weatherman, you'd need to have the same frequencies as your friends. Otherwise, it's kind of useless. I think most people on here run the same channels as EVO.

Jimmypaget

I think more and more people out in the west are moving over to race radios like what Rugged makes. Only problem is, with the exception of Weatherman, you'd need to have the same frequencies as your friends. Otherwise, it's kind of useless. I think most people on here run the same channels as EVO.

Well what channel is evo running?? Do you mean the actual weatherman from the score race channel or the NOAA channel?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well what channel is evo running?? Do you mean the actual weatherman from the score race channel or the NOAA channel?

Weatherman is a standard frequency that pretty much every race radio has, assuming the one you buy comes with programmed channels. If you buy a radio you have to dial in, it would be 151.625. PCI sells radios that you can request EVO channels but typically, they're 151.250 and 151.430. There are a lot more but for the most part, these are what most of us use when not using weatherman.

Jimmypaget

Weatherman is a standard frequency that pretty much every race radio has, assuming the one you buy comes with programmed channels. If you buy a radio you have to dial in, it would be 151.625. PCI sells radios that you can request EVO channels but typically, they're 151.250 and 151.430. There are a lot more but for the most part, these are what most of us use when not using weatherman.

Got it. Thank you Eddie!

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'd run whatever your crew or club uses. Race Radio > GMRS > SSB CB > CB

My clubs run CB. I tried to get them on GMRS, but people are cheap and didn't want to buy $150-200 vehicle radios. I bought a single side band capable CB- but that only works if everyone has SSB, so again, that feature is useless for me.

rich67

Caught the Bug
I recently grabbed some Baofeng UV5Rs and got my GMRS license. You can program them with any PC if you have some basic computing knowledge and the range on them is outstanding. You just have to make sure your group is using the same frequency which can also be manually entered on most radios of this type. The GMRS license requires no test, it’s a 70 dollar cost and valid for 10 years. You will get a call sign and still need to familiarize yourself with GMRS radio etiquette. Much better than CB. Range straight out of the box can be well over a mile as long as you have good line of sight. For tight convoys it works great, and if you want to dabble with HAM it can do that too. Bouncing off a repeater (haven’t figured out how to do that yet) you can extend range beyond what any CB would be able to eek out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tossing it out there. I recently made an order with PCI. Way over the top customer service. They walked me through the muddy waters of understanding gmrs/race radios and the pros and cons of different radio configurations.

Highly recommend PCI Race Radios. [emoji106]

jesse3638

Hooked
Just tossing it out there. I recently made an order with PCI. Way over the top customer service. They walked me through the muddy waters of understanding gmrs/race radios and the pros and cons of different radio configurations.

Highly recommend PCI Race Radios. [emoji106]
That's awesome they have great customer service. The radio world will blow your mind trying to take it all in.

If you're anything like most of the guys I work with they have little clue about the radios we use...haha. If they hit the PTT and if doesn't work its broken...haha. Essentially they are gmrs. I geeked out with our radio tech and got to be pretty good with them and understanding how they work.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's awesome they have great customer service. The radio world will blow your mind trying to take it all in.

Dude no shit. I was going dizzy trying to read up on it all. I still can’t make heads or tails of it all. Hopefully the thing works when I turn it on. 🤣

Top Bottom