CJ5 fender question and assistance needed.

BobnMak1

Hola, Bob here and I'm looking for the CJ 5 crowd. I bought a 1970 CJ5 from a friend and am presently tearing the Buick Dauntless V6 down for rebuild and just planning ahead a little. This Jeep has a 1974 tub in good shape ( side marker lights) on it but had the original 70 front fenders ( no side lights) . Trashed fenders I might add. Original owner told me he had to use the original fenders due to they were shorter than the 74's to bolt and line up correctly. I need some fender advise please. Will the 74 fenders work or do I have to stay with the 70's? Wouldn't hurt to have some side lights. Somewhere in this forum I had my original post when I bought this entitled Rizzo or maybe Rizzo Project but couldn't find it.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Last edited:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
74 fenders won't work, too long. If you look at pics between the two, you'll see that the wheel opening nearly meets the tub on the 70. The 74 has several inches of extra metal there. I believe the extra length was added there to accommodate the V8 option.
0895c41a2eb084c6db677de969018c7e.jpg
cd1bae9d5192d762def21ff52cab031d.jpg

BobnMak1

Thanks !!

Thanks very much. My fenders look like the open cab Jeep you sent but w/o the side markers. They are cracked and horribly rusted right behind where that side light is. The extra room for the V 8 makes sense and I have noticed that the later CJ 7s had the longer fenders so I picked up on that difference but they also have a longer wheel base. This V 6 is pretty short and squatty and that little bit of difference at the bottom corner would affect everything. My 74 tub is in good shape and everything was in place when I got it so I'll stay on track with the shorter new fenders and I should be fine. Thanks again.

Top Bottom