Motortrend calls the Gladiator’s towing characteristics, “terrifying.”

Exodus 4x4

I wouldn’t tow anything more than probably 4500 pounds with one and be comfortable doing it. I’ve tried more weight than that and on short hauls it’s ok, but I’d be worn out after a few hundred miles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dale72

Hooked
People are thinking the JT is a full size truck and trying to tow more than it can tow. Just like People taking a 1/2 ton pickup and trying to tow with it like it's a 1 ton. I see it everyday

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I love my Gladiator but I sure as hell didn't buy it for its towing capabilities. Sure, it can be done but that's a far cry from saying that it can be done well and with ease.

fiend

Caught the Bug
From the article: “we cannot overlook the reduced ability to do actual truck stuff.” Seems to me the Gladiator is more like a Wrangler with additional storage capacity than an “actual truck.” And I mean that in a good way, not as a criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
People are thinking the JT is a full size truck and trying to tow more than it can tow. Just like People taking a 1/2 ton pickup and trying to tow with it like it's a 1 ton. I see it everyday

^^ this. I've seen knuckleheads do a lot of sketchy shit in 1/2 ton pickups. Tow ratings are done for a reason and it's not just a calculation. There are serious real world tests done to come up with those numbers and you exceed them at your own risk.
Unfortunately, there is no test for common sense :rolleyes2:

Dale72

Hooked
^^ this. I've seen knuckleheads do a lot of sketchy shit in 1/2 ton pickups. Tow ratings are done for a reason and it's not just a calculation. There are serious real world tests done to come up with those numbers and you exceed them at your own risk.
Unfortunately, there is no test for common sense :rolleyes2:
You will be surprised at the stupid shit I see people tow with trucks way way to small for what they are doing

nbunga

Caught the Bug

Exactly. I used to pull my bobcat with my F-150. Was it safe? No. But it was just 5 miles on back roads to my folks place.

WJCO

Meme King
I was thinking of putting a 5th wheel hitch in the Gladiator. Maybe I'd better reconsider.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Well, if they new anything about towing with midsize of half ton trucks, they'd know that over 5K# you need a weight distributing hitch. Perhaps the Gladiator needs it more so, but none the less, I wouldn't tow over 5K# in a small or half ton truck with out a weight distributing hitch.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I can’t tell by the images, but I wonder if they used a load leveling hitch, with anti-sway bars.

jesse3638

Hooked
I can’t tell by the images, but I wonder if they used a load leveling hitch, with anti-sway bars.

Regardless of the truck those make all the difference in the world. They mentioned they'd recommend one. They should go back with one and see how it compares.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Regardless of the truck those make all the difference in the world. They mentioned they'd recommend one. They should go back with one and see how it compares.

So there’s more to towing than just throwing a ball on a bumper? Haha, someone should’ve told the geniuses over at Motor Trend that, but then they wouldn’t of had the catchy title for the article.

Bierpower

Hooked
I was thinking of putting a 5th wheel hitch in the Gladiator. Maybe I'd better reconsider.
I had an F-150 come into a shop I was working at for a rear end rebuild. It had a gooseneck hitch in the bed. When I finally got the wheel bearings out of the rear you could see where the bearing race had heated up enough to weld itself to the top of the axle tube. You joke, but people do it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

J&k_Overland

I had an F-150 come into a shop I was working at for a rear end rebuild. It had a gooseneck hitch in the bed. When I finally got the wheel bearings out of the rear you could see where the bearing race had heated up enough to weld itself to the top of the axle tube. You joke, but people do it.

Ha haha my brother in law wanted to use my 32’ goose neck behind his F150 I told em that was a terrible plan and didn’t want to go pull my trailer out of his back seat when it all went wrong

WJCO

Meme King

Oh yeah. I've seen a few half tons come into the shop with hitches in the bed. Definitely a wtf moment.

Top Bottom