Race Radios

bhaner

After the new years run thread requirements I started looking into race radios again.

A little frustrating after I just got licensed and installed a GMRS radio for the East-West run. But no problem.

I have many friends who are licensed HAM radio operators. When I said something you would think that I pissed in their corn flakes. Not sure what the beef is... But...

They gave me a quick rundown... Not sure how much is good info...

- Race Radios use commercial frequencies
- You must have a commercial, business license (PLMR License) from the FCC that says you have explicit rights to the frequency that you are using, from the geographical area that you are using it.
- PLMR Licenses are only good for a 75 mile radius to cover the area that your business operates.
- A HAM radio license does not cover usage of a Race Radio. Nor does a GMRS license.

It looks to me (Reading their websites) like PCI and Rugged Radios paid for some frequencies. They are allowing their users to use those frequencies. Is it that simple? Good to go as long as you use one of their radios?

bhaner

I went down this Wormhole last night for about 2 hours... things got Nerdy real fast. [emoji15]

Same! It continued this morning!

The worst part is I had everyone in my small wheeling group buy GMRS radios. They haven't even used them yet... They are gonna be pissed if I switch it up again...

I had looked into HAM licenses... But we have a few special folks in my group that are never going to be able to pass a test.

Ddays

Hooked
I have many friends who are licensed HAM radio operators. When I said something you would think that I pissed in their corn flakes. Not sure what the beef is... But...

Lol, they get really goofy about that shit. My response....

nerds.jpg

bhaner

Eddie gave us 3 frequencies... Outside of one being called "Weatherman" I don't see much info.

151.625 - Weatherman

CalSgt

Hooked
Same! It continued this morning!

The worst part is I had everyone in my small wheeling group buy GMRS radios. They haven't even used them yet... They are gonna be pissed if I switch it up again...

I had looked into HAM licenses... But we have a few special folks in my group that are never going to be able to pass a test.

I have one of the older Rugged radios that is hand programable, I think the new ones need a computer, cable and special software to program in new frequencies. I was able to program GMRS frequencies into my Rugged by looking up the frequencies on the interwebs. Last road trip we were able to talk with the guys that only had the little handheld GMRS walkie talkies like you buy at wallmart.

TrailHunter

Hooked
And what’d you find out? Are we all breaking the law?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Probably, if you don’t have a HAM license. I got the impression Rugged has some pre programmed channels that aren’t so strict. But not sure on this.

From my research I see it like this:

1. GMRS is like CB on steroids.. easy license online, just pay $70. Good reach with higher wattage than CB.. simplicity of a lower watt handheld if you want.. Repeater towers are limited.

2. HAM is the best all around. License requires a class, a test and $15. Head units can range from 25-60 watts... or 5w handhelds for simplicity. You can get a Beofang handheld and program yourself or a pre programmed Rugged Radio for simplicity. Rugged also offers VHF or UHF digital units... VHF is better for off-roading... Digital is more clear but drops off at long distance.. whereas the blue analog dual band unit will reach a little farther but have static. HAM has a plethora of Repeaters available for emergencies or reaching across states.. (And this is where it gets real Nerdy)

rubiDave

And what’d you find out? Are we all breaking the law?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
A lot of people are. Little consequences for that though in today's world.
There are numerous import vhf radios that cover the race frequencies, GMRS, FRS, and HAM bands. Boafeng UV-5R can be had for under $30 on amazon. They are legal for use on the HAM bands for properly licensed amateur operators, but illegal on the others. You can weigh the risk, many people own them.
There is overlap in some of the GMRS and FRS frequencies and the two can talk to each other on certain channels. FRS is limited in output power, but sufficient for close range vehicle to vehicle comms. FRS handhelds are cheap and legal.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Seems to me, the Blue UHF/VHF are the simplest to tell your buddies that aren’t into programming shit.... “buy this and we are good to go”... Then you can always buy a head unit with more power, setup an antennae, etc...

I don’t think GMRS and HAM are very compatible and will only lead to frustration...

In the end, its all about getting everyone to use the same shit, the simplest way... Probably why CB’s have stuck around so long.

treys1

Seems to me, the Blue UHF/VHF are the simplest to tell your buddies that aren’t into programming shit.... “buy this and we are good to go”... Then you can always buy a head unit with more power, setup an antennae, etc...

I don’t think GMRS and HAM are very compatible and will only lead to frustration...

In the end, its all about getting everyone to use the same shit, the simplest way... Probably why CB’s have stuck around so long.

I'm not sure I ever heard the reason everyone is migrating away for CB.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure I ever heard the reason everyone is migrating away for CB.

I like CB radios and in a lot of ways, I still prefer them. So long as their antenna's are setup right and with a good ground, I find that they give me more than enough range to keep in contact with all my friends. The biggest reason for me using a race radio is that a lot of the trips we attend like the JKX require them. And, on a trip like our New Year's Run, there are enough rigs spread out over big distances that the range they provide, way more than a CB, is helpful to have.

MericaMade

Ham guys are nerds and think you should jump through special hoops and pay a price to get your ham radio callsign when using a ham radio on repeaters.

I have a Icom 2300 and have a list of 60 race channels program with weather man and a few others. I program my baofeng handheld and my Icom to the same exact layout so if I need to get out of my Jeep I grab the hand held. I have a spreadsheet if you need.

I just stay off channels that use repeaters and only use the race channels to communicate with my buddies on the trail.

Example, that first day of Moab I use my handheld to communicate with the entire group but all of my buddies were on a race channel together.

Sent from my SM-G781V using WAYALIFE mobile app

treys1

If Eddie’s giving you the frequencies that you’ll be using one of these would work just fine. You can program them in with her without her computer.

I have a couple and just program GMRS frequencies into them.

Baofeng UV-5R Two Way Radio Dual Band 136-174/400-480Mhz Walkie Talkie 1800mAh Li-ion Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XPB313/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_0I9XFbMD2CZ77

I was wondering about that, so you can just type the frequency straight in on these. Good to know.

treys1

treys1

I like CB radios and in a lot of ways, I still prefer them. So long as their antenna's are setup right and with a good ground, I find that they give me more than enough range to keep in contact with all my friends. The biggest reason for me using a race radio is that a lot of the trips we attend like the JKX require them. And, on a trip like our New Year's Run, there are enough rigs spread out over big distances that the range they provide, way more than a CB, is helpful to have.

Understood. Yeah, the CB antenna setup is important and with SWR meters being cheap I would hope most try to sort that out. I wasn't familiar with the fact that a handheld race radio would provide that much additional range over a properly installed, fixed CB setup, so that is good information.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Once you type them in, can you save them as well for easier use in the future?

I believe you save it with a channel #.. then you can switch back from channel or the station on the display... And with the pc software you can name it.... (just what I saw in my research)

Top Bottom