Dynatrac Progrip warning! Check slider bolts!

HeyitsRay

Yesterday the Jeep had a weird grinding sound when coming to a halt and having over 40,000 miles on the front brakes I just assumed the pads were at the end of life. I disassembled to inspect I noticed that the inside of my rim was shiny, ground, this is when I got concerned… IMG_0438.jpg

Upon disassembly, I found 2 broken caliper slider bolts! IMG_0447.jpg
These were OEM bolts that broke not a dynatrac part, this applies to any brake system where you extend the caliper mount for a bigger disk and don’t upgrade the slider bolts. As soon as you hear a weird sound, look and see why. IMG_0442.jpg Another day of driving and the rim may have been cut in half. IMG_0443.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
The bolts were in place. Look at the picture, the bolts are in place, It was the fore-end that broke.

Oh right... that's crazy... kinda why I haven't driven my jeep in 3 weeks... until I fixed my bent flange... weird shit like that can happen. Sucks your wheel got f'd up.

JKbrick

Yesterday the Jeep had a weird grinding sound when coming to a halt and having over 40,000 miles on the front brakes I just assumed the pads were at the end of life. I disassembled to inspect I noticed that the inside of my rim was shiny, ground, this is when I got concerned… View attachment 356843

Upon disassembly, I found 2 broken caliper slider bolts! View attachment 356844
These were OEM bolts that broke not a dynatrac part, this applies to any brake system where you extend the caliper mount for a bigger disk and don’t upgrade the slider bolts. As soon as you hear a weird sound, look and see why. View attachment 356845 Another day of driving and the rim may have been cut in half. View attachment 356846

Does it make them more prone to break when you move the caliper further away from the center? Do they make an upgraded caliper bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Does it make them more prone to break when you move the caliper further away from the center? Do they make an upgraded caliper bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I suppose it would put more leverage on them considering the rotational forces have moved outward from the original axis. This being said I'm not sure if it would be enough to cause them to fail. I also don't know if there are any bolts to upgrade too. Maybe something off of a ram 2500 would fit

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ray, where the pins stuck in the caliper bracket? I ask this because the only time I have seen slide pins break was due to the boot being torn and water getting into the pin area. The pin gets seized and rusts causing them to sheer. If the pins didn’t have enough grease then this would happen.

HeyitsRay

Ray, where the pins stuck in the caliper bracket? I ask this because the only time I have seen slide pins break was due to the boot being torn and water getting into the pin area. The pin gets seized and rusts causing them to sheer. If the pins didn’t have enough grease then this would happen.

I only found one of the pins retained in the bracket. It was greasy, no rust. Had to use brake clean and 100psi to get it out. IMG_0448.jpg

TrailHunter

Hooked
Were all the Caliper Bracket bolts tight? There must have been movement somewhere to put stress on those slide pins...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That sucks, but this can happen on any caliper, no?

IMO yes. Happens to me when I’m working on cars with lots on miles on them or that just are older. The grease drys up and the pins get stuck in the bracket.

Top Bottom