Chasing the Birds

lonestarnation

2016 JKU - 130k miles. I’ve got major bird whistles under the hood at speed only. Not during idling. Serpentine belt was replaced at 110k. Didn’t see any damage upon inspection. Replaced idler pulleys next. Noise still there. Tensioner pulley next?

Tough to hear in video. With belt off did you check all the pulleys for play and spin them?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Assuming the sound goes with rpm and it’s a high pitched bearing like sound thats where I would start, when it’s warmer at least.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
Have you upgraded your front drive shaft? If so, it’s probably the double Cardian joint failing.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jeeeep

Hooked
I imagine it would squeal when reving it up, have you had someone rev it up and hold it at the higher rpm to see if it squeals?

also hand check your hubs. My Jk chirped only when in motion until it didn't.

Didn't give it any thought until I pulled the passenger side wheel for a maintenance check and discovered the hub was shot.

I've learned that noises travel, what sounds like it's coming from the front may actually be from something in the rear.

lonestarnation

I agree with this if there is no noise when stopped. That is one thing you do not want to fail at speed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

You guys nailed it. I have an Adam Extreme HD front driveshaft. Likely the U joint. Dallas Offroad installed it - taking it back to them. Question - was this bound to wear out anyway? The driveshaft has about 75k miles on it. Mostly street/highway.

jesse3638

Hooked
You guys nailed it. I have an Adam Extreme HD front driveshaft. Likely the U joint. Dallas Offroad installed it - taking it back to them. Question - was this bound to wear out anyway? The driveshaft has about 75k miles on it. Mostly street/highway.
Yes, greasable or not they are very difficult to grease. My driveline guy said the center ball should last between 70-80k miles. Once it starts chirping pull it and bring it back. Its a log cheaper to rebuild if they don't have to replace the entire CV head.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked

Glad you found it. It depends on your location and proximity to salty roads. Mine only made it 35k here in Michigan.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom