VIDEO : BIGGER is BETTER - 42" Nitto Trail Grappler & 20" KMC Grenade Beadlocks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
VIDEO : BIGGER is BETTER - 42" Nitto Trail Grappler & 20" KMC Grenade Beadlocks

Nitto has been manufacturing their awesome Trail Grappler for a little over 10 years now and in a 40" tire for the last 5 of them. During that time, they’ve rightfully earned a reputation for being one of the best mud terrain tires that money can buy and specifically because of how well they perform out on the race course, out on the rocks and maybe most importantly, out on the highway as a daily driver. Of course, Cindy and I have been running Trail Grapplers for years and in a 40 on both Moby and our JT and honestly, I could never imagine a need for anything bigger. But then, sometimes, BIGGER is more of a desire than a need.

Coming this February, Nitto will be releasing their Trail Grappler in a 42x13.50R20 and thanks to our good friend Mel Wade, the owner of EVO Manufacturing, Cindy and I got a chance to be the very first people to test them out and on our Jeep Gladiator. We hope you enjoy what you see.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
20210102090618-7b8dafd5-me.jpg

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I....am....so.....envious. But to be realistic, I couldn't justify the upgrade from the proposed 37's. I am destined to live in the shadows and drool.

CalSgt

Hooked
RAD! :rock:

I never would have thought of using furniture spray to lube a tire bead, i've used just about everything else though. I also never thought of WD-40 like the guys at ORE either. I think I used cable lube for lubing conduit last time, dish soap the time before that...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yaaaaassssss! Watching now

Cool video thanks for sharing love the 42’s on the JT .

Glad you enjoyed the video :thumb:

I....am....so.....envious. But to be realistic, I couldn't justify the upgrade from the proposed 37's. I am destined to live in the shadows and drool.

LOL - I think you'll be plenty happy with the 37's especially since your better half is good with them :yup:

RAD! :rock:

I never would have thought of using furniture spray to lube a tire bead, i've used just about everything else though. I also never thought of WD-40 like the guys at ORE either. I think I used cable lube for lubing conduit last time, dish soap the time before that...

LOL - you'd be surprised at all the things that Mel uses lemon Pledge on :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mel made it look way too easy putting them together. It looks really good. I imagine when the 40's wear out a set of 42's will be ordered

Oh, we have 42's coming. This was just a test fit to see what we'll need to do to clear them well. :yup:

Well, there goes my future plan for 40s.

LOL - Glad to hear you're thinking about going big :thumb:

JT@623

Hooked
Oh, we have 42's coming. This was just a test fit to see what we'll need to do to clear them well. :yup:

LOL - Glad to hear you're thinking about going big :thumb:

So will this be as easy a trimming the fenders and adding more pre-load on the coil overs ? or other more let’s just say costly mods LOL .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So will this be as easy a trimming the fenders and adding more pre-load on the coil overs ? or other more let’s just say costly mods LOL .

Yeah. Looks like we're just rubbing the bottom of the black trim when turning and just a bit of the rear fender liner when flexing. That should be easy enough to address but we'll still need more lift to clear well. We do have room to add in more pre-load but the better answer would be to install slightly heavier springs.

LOL - should have put that in the video :doh: :crazyeyes:

MericaMade

WOW, I literally just rolled a set of 40s into my garage and was shocked by how big they are. Then I see these 42 made the 40s look small. Mel made mounted them look too easy. The JT is looking really good Eddie. Question, do all KMC beadlocks come with two valve stems?

jeeeep

Hooked
Mel makes beadlocks look easy.

Pledge for the win! I use it on a lot of stuff but never thought about using it on beadlocks. Going to try it next time. :thumb:

What color JT did he put the tires in? it looked like Chief blue.

damn those 42's are huge but look like the JT was made for them, if you get a flat they'd just become 37's? lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WOW, I literally just rolled a set of 40s into my garage and was shocked by how big they are. Then I see these 42 made the 40s look small. Mel made mounted them look too easy. The JT is looking really good Eddie. Question, do all KMC beadlocks come with two valve stems?

LOL - 40's ARE big on a JK or JL and honestly, I don't know if I'd want to run anything bigger on mine. The Gladiator is a different beast altogether.

Yes, all current KMC beadlock wheels come with 2 valve stem holes.

Great video! Crazy how much bigger they are/look.

I was expecting them to be bigger but seeing them in person, they looked a LOT bigger for sure.

Mel makes beadlocks look easy.

Pledge for the win! I use it on a lot of stuff but never thought about using it on beadlocks. Going to try it next time. :thumb:

What color JT did he put the tires in? it looked like Chief blue.

damn those 42's are huge but look like the JT was made for them, if you get a flat they'd just become 37's? lol

Mel just bought a brand new Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator with a diesel. You should be seeing more of it soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So listening to Mel talk about rapid deflators who makes them and are they worth it?

Powertank makes some and a company called RAD used to but I'm not sure how worth it they are. At least, I haven't felt a need for them. If anything, I like the fact that they give you 2 points to air up from as it's always easier to air up from the bottom stem :yup:

Top Bottom