Steering stabilizer - Old Man Emu?

vasquez27

I’m looking for something that will help sturdy up my steering wheel when driving on I70 in Colorado. I have a 2017 JKU with a Metalcloak 2.5 in lift (looks more like 3.5), and 33x12.5 KO2 E rated tires. You can definitely feel the wind in the mountains of Colorado and bumps make it a little hard to control. Sometimes I feel like I’m wrestling the steering wheel.

So onto the solution. I was wondering if maybe a steering stabilizer would help smooth some of this out. The Old Man Emu steering stabilizer seems like it would be a solid upgrade for $100. Also seems like it can just be installed right into the factory brackets even though they sell a relocation bracket. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jesse3638

Hooked
First off many have run the OEM stabilizer without issue. Second how many miles are on your jeep? Worn steering consonants can lead to flighty steering. Also what pressure sre you running in your tires? Larger than stock tires require less air fo create the correct contact patch. Filling them to stock pressures can cause wandering as well. Typically a steering stabilizer can mask the true problem.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would check that your caster and toe are in spec before spending money on a steering stabilizer for the issue you describe.

vasquez27

First off many have run the OEM stabilizer without issue. Second how many miles are on your jeep? Worn steering consonants can lead to flighty steering. Also what pressure sre you running in your tires? Larger than stock tires require less air fo create the correct contact patch. Filling them to stock pressures can cause wandering as well. Typically a steering stabilizer can mask the true problem.

I have about 50,900 miles. I run mine at about 28psi

jesse3638

Hooked
I would check that your caster and toe are in spec before spending money on a steering stabilizer for the issue you describe.

^^^This^^^ If you have adjustable control arms make sure your caster is somewhere between 4.2 (Stock) and 5.0°. Toe should be 1/8" narrower on the forward edge of the front tire compared to the rear edge.
I have about 50,900 miles. I run mine at about 28psi

Sounds about right for 33's. Also at that mileage ball joints may be worn out, if they're still stock, causing some issues. I discovered mine were really bad at about 42k miles. They probably had been bad for sometime before that as I had at least 1/32" of vertical movement when i jacked up the tire and lifted up on it with a prybar. I was on 35's so it may be different for you, but I was beginning to get death wobble from them being bad

Last edited:
I’m looking for something that will help sturdy up my steering wheel when driving on I70 in Colorado. I have a 2017 JKU with a Metalcloak 2.5 in lift (looks more like 3.5), and 33x12.5 KO2 E rated tires. You can definitely feel the wind in the mountains of Colorado and bumps make it a little hard to control. Sometimes I feel like I’m wrestling the steering wheel.

So onto the solution. I was wondering if maybe a steering stabilizer would help smooth some of this out. The Old Man Emu steering stabilizer seems like it would be a solid upgrade for $100. Also seems like it can just be installed right into the factory brackets even though they sell a relocation bracket. Thoughts?

There are a lot of threads on this forum talking about solutions to Jeep steering. I took those suggestions in this order: toe in, castor angle, tire pressure, tire balance, new tie rod / tie rod ends, new drag link, drag link flip, raised track bar bracket, new track bar, dynatrac ball joints, new unit bearings, and I’m looking at a PSC steering gear box...all of these things helped a ton. There is really no one quick solution if you’re into tight steering. Search some threads and make a couple adjustments here and there.

You’ll be flying down Vail Pass with ease🤙

Do you have slop in the steering wheel left to right or are you just getting wandery on the road

vasquez27

There are a lot of threads on this forum talking about solutions to Jeep steering. I took those suggestions in this order: toe in, castor angle, tire pressure, tire balance, new tie rod / tie rod ends, new drag link, drag link flip, raised track bar bracket, new track bar, dynatrac ball joints, new unit bearings, and I’m looking at a PSC steering gear box...all of these things helped a ton. There is really no one quick solution if you’re into tight steering. Search some threads and make a couple adjustments here and there.

Thanks for the suggestions!

vasquez27

Do you have slop in the steering wheel left to right or are you just getting wandery on the road

It’s not bad city driving, it’s more so when I’m at highway speed over bumps, would like to make it feel a little safe for the wife and kid

vasquez27

I’ll start with the alignment and go from there

Top Bottom