Tru-Lok Current Draw?

M8yd8y

I'm installing Rubicon axles into my 2013 JK Sport, so I need to wire the lockers to switches inside the cab. I haven't found a definitive source for how much current the Tru-Lok will draw when powered on. It seems the factory harness uses 18AWG wire to the locker solenoid and another thread someone says 4 Amps without providing the source.

Does anyone have a reference document/link showing the current draw for the Tru-Lok, or confirmed the value with a measurement on a Jeep? Thanks, in advance!

jesse3638

Hooked
I too am in this boat... I was able to find the owners manual for a similar type of locker from Eaton and that locker requires a max amp draw of 10 amps with a constant draw between 5 and 8 amps. I plan to install a relay to mine to lower the draw going through the switch.

Here is a link to the manual I am referencing:

https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@vehicle/documents/content/pct_1087652.pdf
Depending on the switches rating it can probably handle 10amps no problem. The switch pros setup has 4 switches at 25 amps and 4 switches at 35 amps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Does the wire first go to a relay from the switch or are you wiring from switch directly to the solenoid?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I believe with an e-locker there isn't a need for a solenoid. The solenoid on an air locker opens and closes the supply of air to the locker. Reading the Eaton literature it seems their elocker comes with a relay. This essentially is a "solenoid" which opens and closes the flow of higher amperage electricity. A relay has a very low draw through the switch operating it compared the the device the relay is operating when activated.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would still use a standard relay to protect switch but if it’s 18 gauge it’s not that much power.

IMG_0786.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

M8yd8y

I mentioned connecting a wire to the locker solenoid since inside the locker is a solenoid (coil of wire that creates a magnetic field to move something) that moves the locking mechanism. Solenoid valves are connected to air lockers to give air to a piston moving the locking mechanism inside.

My setup is rocker switches in the cab, power distribution and relays in the engine bay, and then wires to lockers. I'm sizing the wires and fuses, so I'm asking for what the load is when the locker is on.

M8yd8y

Scott, I saw that too from Eaton. Probably good to assume the actual current for Rubi lockers is under 10A, Hopefully someone out there knows the actual value, or is able to measure it on their Jeep.

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Agreed! Assuming 10 amps or less, if you have your relay under the hood for your rear locker, automotive wiring charts I’ve seen indicate 18 gauge is appropriate for up to 10 amps at up to 14 feet for a 12 volt circuit.

Top Bottom