Evo skins and rocker write up?

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I’ve been searching for about an hour and can’t seem to find a good write up on installing the Evo sliders and skins. Anyone know of one?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I’ve been searching for about an hour and can’t seem to find a good write up on installing the Evo sliders and skins. Anyone know of one?

I’m going to be installing rear quarter panel skins tonight. One thing I can say from mocking them up is use a bit of electrical tape on the edges when you first go to put them against the Jeep to transfer your hole locations. I was kinda heavy handed and may end out with some scratches outside of the final location of the panels.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I’m going to be installing rear quarter panel skins tonight. One thing I can say from mocking them up is use a bit of electrical tape on the edges when you first go to put them against the Jeep to transfer your hole locations. I was kinda heavy handed and may end out with some scratches outside of the final location of the panels.

Did you use any tape at all? Planning on RTV or silicone anywhere?

I just used the tape temporarily as I was getting the skin to fit exactly where I want it so I didn’t scrape up the Jeep too much. After install, I don’t plan to use any silicone. Others who have run them will probably weigh in.

I made my own from a file drawn from a crude template that I made so I bet Evos will fit much better, haha. I had to make quite a few trips back and forth to the press to get my bends right. They’re still not perfect and I anticipate some ratchet strapping... IMG_2256.jpg IMG_2317.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
I made my own from a file drawn from a crude template that I made so I bet Evos will fit much better, haha. I had to make quite a few trips back and forth to the press to get my bends right. They’re still not perfect and I anticipate some ratchet strapping... View attachment 357598 View attachment 357599

That’s still pretty bad ass you built those yourself.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

-AINOKEA-

Hooked

Heres an install video of the skins and bomber rockers on a JL... Probably not too different

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/56966-VIDEO-JL-JOURNAL-BOMBS-AWAY-EVO-Bomber-Rocker-Guards-w-Skins-INSTALLATION

^^^this is what I followed for mine on the JT. As mentioned, I don’t think it would be too different for the JK

That’s still pretty bad ass you built those yourself.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks, kind of an experiment, haha.

Also, OP it didn’t occur to me you probably didn’t mean corner skins, my bad...looks like youve got some good thread references. good luck with the install.

Last edited:

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I just used the tape temporarily as I was getting the skin to fit exactly where I want it so I didn’t scrape up the Jeep too much. After install, I don’t plan to use any silicone. Others who have run them will probably weigh in.

Didn't think I could make a silicone bead look good so I went with nothing. Was a trap for sand and dirt. Then I installed my Nemesis fenders and they use one sided foam tape on the top edge where it meets the fender. Thought great idea. So I pulled my skins and added foam tape to the tops and sides leaving the bottom open. Worked out great nice clean finish.

Edit: I think it's a high density foam so it doesn't hold water. Pulling it tight so it's thinner.

Last edited:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I made my own from a file drawn from a crude template that I made so I bet Evos will fit much better, haha. I had to make quite a few trips back and forth to the press to get my bends right. They’re still not perfect and I anticipate some ratchet strapping... View attachment 357598 View attachment 357599

That’s badass. I’d be much more proud to run my own stuff, whether perfect or not. [emoji482]

jab1719

I found one on YouTube that I thought was helpful. Thought mine turned out pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Heres an install video of the skins and bomber rockers on a JL... Probably not too different

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/56966-VIDEO-JL-JOURNAL-BOMBS-AWAY-EVO-Bomber-Rocker-Guards-w-Skins-INSTALLATION

Thanks! I saw this one but wasn’t sure if there was something more specific to the standalone skins since I went with the frame mount sliders. All is well and this did a pretty good job though

Pages 4 & 5 on my build thread show me doing mine. Not great but might pick up an idea or 2. I drilled and tapped the frame - one front and one in the back on both sides and then bolted the sliders in place so the mobile guy could weld them on.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/31355-The-build-re-build-of-Gruff/page4

Thanks! I’ll check it out before I start on the sliders. My Fiancées ‘08 decided it wanted to give me a cyl 3 injector malfunction and misfire, so sliders are stuck in the garage till I can get hers fixed...

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Circling back around to this.

I have the skins all drilled and 95% of the nutserts in. I have two on the pass front that have another piece of sheet metal behind them close enough that the nutsert won’t fully insert. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had a couple others that were close and I was able to get a pry bar in between from the front wheel well area to open them up. But no luck on these 2.

jab1719

Only issue I ran into was up front by the wheel well like you mentioned. I was able to pry them up and insert them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I wanna say I clamped mine a little at a time so it pinched in there between the two sheets.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I wanna say I clamped mine a little at a time so it pinched in there between the two sheets.

Hmm I’m pretty sure I tried that but I’ll have to give it another shot

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Hmm I’m pretty sure I tried that but I’ll have to give it another shot

I backed the nutsert off the bit until it was flush to give it a little more bite, then tightened it up as it got in there a little more. Then just kept clamping until it was seated. I also ran a tap through them afterwards since most of them got ovaled out. I have no idea if that’s the right way to do it as it was my first time, but it worked out.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I backed the nutsert off the bit until it was flush to give it a little more bite, then tightened it up as it got in there a little more. Then just kept clamping until it was seated. I also ran a tap through them afterwards since most of them got ovaled out. I have no idea if that’s the right way to do it as it was my first time, but it worked out.

I just went out and used that method, worked great! Thanks! I skipped the tap, mainly because I don’t have one, but also because they all thread in with little effort.

Top Bottom