JL Warranty: what’s allowed and what isn’t?

Suspect

Welp, my build thread for my JK was short lived.
Watched one too many JL Journal videos and the wheels started turning on how I can get a new JL. Called up a buddy from Highschool who works at a Jeep dealership and they gave me a great price for the jk, I couldn’t resist.

I’ve never owned a new vehicle before or one that had any significant amount of factory warranty left on it. I’ve looked around a bit online but couldn’t find an answer.

Will a 2.5-3.5 inch lift and larger tires void my warranty? Or am I over thinking this? Would it be worth it to ask the dealer, or will they tell me what I want to hear and void it if something big where to happen since it won’t be in writing?

Thanks in advance guys!

IMG_0422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dale72

Hooked
Watched one too many JL Journal videos and the wheels started turning on how I can get a new JL. Called up a buddy from Highschool who works at a Jeep dealership and they gave me a great price for the jk, I couldn’t resist.

I’ve never owned a new vehicle before or one that had any significant amount of factory warranty left on it. I’ve looked around a bit online but couldn’t find an answer.

Will a 2.5-3.5 inch lift and larger tires void my warranty? Or am I over thinking this? Would it be worth it to ask the dealer, or will they tell me what I want to hear and void it if something big where to happen since it won’t be in writing?

Thanks in advance guys!

View attachment 357646

Congratulations on the new jeep. It really depends on your dealership

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Thanks in advance guys!

View attachment 357646

Congrats on the new JLR!!

It really depends on your dealer. Both dealers near me will still perform warranty work even when lifted. I’m sure Mopar has a certain lift and tire size they will warranty till but each dealer can say otherwise

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Read the Magnuson Moss Act. If the vehicle didn’t leave the factory floor with the part on it, then warranty claims can be denied if the aftermarket part damaged the factory part.

Find a dealership that is modification friendly, and treat the service advisor well. It only takes one douche to flag your vehicle in the Chrysler system.

And if your dealer tells you buying a lift from them (and having them install it) protects your warranty, they are full of shit...even if it is Mopar Performance Part.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Read the Magnuson Moss Act. If the vehicle didn’t leave the factory floor with the part on it, then warranty claims can be denied if the aftermarket part damaged the factory part.

Find a dealership that is modification friendly, and treat the service advisor well. It only takes one douche to flag your vehicle in the Chrysler system.

And if your dealer tells you buying a lift from them (and having them install it), they are full of shit...even if it is Mopar Performance Part.

That^
And if they tell you that THEIR add on stuff and mopar accessories will not void the warranty get it in writing.

We’ve all seen some complete bs of things like oh he put 37s on it and the heated seats broke, well you modified it so it’s on you.
But I’d say a large percentage of dealers keep it reasonable, you put 37s on and you broke an axle shaft, that’s on you. You put on 37s and you have a balance problem in the engine, not related.

But then there’s this story of a gladiator with a little mud that they told him to fuck himself so it’s really anyone’s guess.

Suspect

Congratulations on the new jeep. It really depends on your dealership

Congrats on the new JLR!!

It really depends on your dealer. Both dealers near me will still perform warranty work even when lifted. I’m sure Mopar has a certain lift and tire size they will warranty till but each dealer can say otherwise
Thanks a ton guys, I’m gonna take a trip this week down to my local dealer and see what they tell me. Hopefully it’s good news.

And if your dealer tells you buying a lift from them (and having them install it), they are full of shit...even if it is Mopar Performance Part.

Oof, really? I had seen some stuff online saying if you get the mopar lift and have them install it the warranty wouldn’t be affected, that sucks.
I appreciate the heads up

What kind of mods have you guys gotten away with at the stealership?

Dale72

Hooked
Thanks a ton guys, I’m gonna take a trip this week down to my local dealer and see what they tell me. Hopefully it’s good news.

Oof, really? I had seen some stuff online saying if you get the mopar lift and have them install it the warranty wouldn’t be affected, that sucks.
I appreciate the heads up

What kind of mods have you guys gotten away with at the stealership?

I had a friend of mine had the dealership install the Mopar lift and had a problem on a trip and the dealership were he was at won't warranty it

Suspect

I had a friend of mine had the dealership install the Mopar lift and had a problem on a trip and the dealership were he was at won't warranty it

I guess maybe it only works with whichever specific dealer you made that deal with?
I really prefer complete lifts kits with all 8 control arms etc but if they’re really this ridiculous with voiding warranties I might look at something like the dynatrac enduro sport that I could uninstall really quick at home if something catastrophic happens where I gotta take the Jeep into the dealership.

Dale72

Hooked
I guess maybe it only works with whichever specific dealer you made that deal with?
I really prefer complete lifts kits with all 8 control arms etc but if they’re really this ridiculous with voiding warranties I might look at something like the dynatrac enduro sport that I could uninstall really quick at home if something catastrophic happens where I gotta take the Jeep into the dealership.

Either that or the Rancho 2" lift

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It must be an American thing to deny warranty and black list vehicles for mods. When I was working in dealerships here across a number of manufacturers we would do anything under warranty we thought we would get paid for while we had the vehicle. Even if the customer didn’t report an issue.

Suspect

It must be an American thing to deny warranty and black list vehicles for mods. When I was working in dealerships here across a number of manufacturers we would do anything under warranty we thought we would get paid for while we had the vehicle. Even if the customer didn’t report an issue.

I wish this was the case, you’d think they would want to keep their mouths shut and get paid for the work but I guess we’re missing something [emoji23]

WJCO

Meme King
Technicians typically get paid less hours under warranty pay. Along with that, advisors get paid on commission and customer pay rate is usually higher than warranty rate (cost per hour). Sadly, some technicians and advisors use that to their advantage and get more money by making the customer pay.

Suspect

Technicians typically get paid less hours under warranty pay. Along with that, advisors get paid on commission and customer pay rate is usually higher than warranty rate (cost per hour). Sadly, some technicians and advisors use that to their advantage and get more money by making the customer pay.

Well that makes sense,hadn’t thought of that.
Guess I’ll have to ask the dealer and see what they say, I’ll let you guys know their response.

The dynatrac lift is looking like a good option for the ease of removal if the warranty is needed.
Thanks for all the help so far guys 🤟🏼

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well that makes sense,hadn’t thought of that.
Guess I’ll have to ask the dealer and see what they say, I’ll let you guys know their response.

The dynatrac lift is looking like a good option for the ease of removal if the warranty is needed.
Thanks for all the help so far guys 🤟🏼

A cheaper option is the Rancho 2” lift. I have it with the 9000 series shocks and for $750. Love the ride of it and it looks great imo
IMG_0738.jpg

Suspect

A cheaper option is the Rancho 2” lift. I have it with the 9000 series shocks and for $750. Love the ride of it and it looks great imo
View attachment 357665

That looks great and the price is even better, did you have to get adjustable track bars or front lower CA’s? Or was it a true 2inch and wasn’t necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jab1719

I can definitely see this ^^^. I don’t know about the car business but In the heavy equipment industry we are limited to specific hours too so if you take longer you still only get paid for the hours they think it should take to get fixed. Not to count the paperwork and specific timeframe to get the claim to the manufacturer and have it paid. You miss the timeframe you don’t get reimbursed.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That looks great and the price is even better, did you have to get adjustable track bars or front lower CA’s? Or was it a true 2inch and wasn’t necessary?

No control arms or track bars. Because of no aftermarket bumpers or sliders it sits at about 2.25-2.5”. With some weight it will sit closer to a true 2”

Top Bottom