Thread: ESP/BAS, Traction, & Airbag Lights are on?!

Fresh Catch

ESP/BAS, Traction, & Airbag Lights are on?!

My 2008 Wrangler Unlimited X has the ESP/BA, Traction Control, and Airbag lights on. I just got it aligned yesterday and still on. On my superchips the only codes it throws are U118A & U118B- lost communication with AFS modular right and left. After a lot of researching and not finding any understanding of this code I called a dealership. Took it to the dealership to have them scan it when the service manager was floored by not being able to find that code in their system. His computer said B1B02-driver airbag squib 1 circuit open, C1219-steering angle sensor erratic performance, C1240-steering angle sendor angle overtravel performance, C2205-steering angle sensor internal, and the U118A & B codes.
    I need help with what to do to address these lights. Before I replace the steering angle sensor, kinda invasive, I didn't know if others had this issue and found other repairs that might be needed that could cause these lights to come on. The

Alignment shop said I needed 2 front drive axel U joints and to replace the ball joints. Could this fix the lights issue?

I did recently changed out my steering gear. Not sure if I messed something up in the process. Already had the clockspring recall fixed in 2016.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Could be a bad clock spring.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Fresh Catch
    [QUOTE=BaddestCross;1251710]Could be a bad clock spring.

Would the superchips give a code for the clockspring? Wouldn't the dealership's computer given a code for the clockspring? I am truly at a loss here and hubby is ready to set the jeep on fire LOL.

ESP/BAS, Traction, & Airbag Lights are on?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Hookd View Post
    My 2008 Wrangler Unlimited X has the ESP/BA, Traction Control, and Airbag lights on. I just got it aligned yesterday and still on. On my superchips the only codes it throws are U118A & U118B- lost communication with AFS modular right and left. After a lot of researching and not finding any understanding of this code I called a dealership. Took it to the dealership to have them scan it when the service manager was floored by not being able to find that code in their system. His computer said B1B02-driver airbag squib 1 circuit open, C1219-steering angle sensor erratic performance, C1240-steering angle sendor angle overtravel performance, C2205-steering angle sensor internal, and the U118A & B codes.
    I need help with what to do to address these lights. Before I replace the steering angle sensor, kinda invasive, I didn't know if others had this issue and found other repairs that might be needed that could cause these lights to come on. The

Alignment shop said I needed 2 front drive axel U joints and to replace the ball joints. Could this fix the lights issue?

I did recently changed out my steering gear. Not sure if I messed something up in the process. Already had the clockspring recall fixed in 2016.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Did you secure the steering wheel when you changed the gear box? If not, you may have broken your clock spring.

If your u joints and ball joints need to be replaced from wear, it could be that your unit bearings are also worn and need to be replaced. Worn unit bearings can cause the ESP/BAS lights to come on, throw related codes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Fresh Catch

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Did you secure the steering wheel when you changed the gear box? If not, you may have broken your clock spring.

If your u joints and ball joints need to be replaced from wear, it could be that your unit bearings are also worn and need to be replaced. Worn unit bearings can cause the ESP/BAS lights to come on, throw related codes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    I think you are right about the clockspring. I did not know to strap the steering wheel to the brake. Thanks alldatadiy ....I remember the same lights popping on prior to going in for the recall on the clockspring. Guess I will order that part and try that. Thank you very much. Ball joints are orderd as are the front axel U joints.