V8 Swap

Birdman1979

I'm looking to do a V8 swap this summer and looking for recommendations. Current details

2017 2 door
2.7 ratio transfer case
ProRock 60's with eaton lockers 5.38 gears
Evo long arm and coilovers
Warn winch
Evo bumpers, sliders, tire carier
40 inch Nittos on KMC beadlocks
various lights, switches etc.

Must have >6 speed transmission. Several hemi conversion places indicate the 8hp70 is soon to be available from mopar with conversion kit for JK. I'm also looking hard at GM solutions from MOTECH.

This will be a daily driver/weekend warrior with several long road trips per year. Currently considering:

392 (only if 8hp70 is available)
5.3 LT 8 or 10 speed
6.2 LS with 6l80
6.2 LT with 8 or 10 speed
6.2 LT4 with 8 or 10 speed

Price is definitely a factor, but I want to do this right the first time, maximize bang for buck and be satisfied with results. The LT4 would be awesome, but stretches my budget to the very edge of my comfort zone.

Appreciate any feedback the group has.

Fury22

I'm looking to do a V8 swap this summer and looking for recommendations. Current details

2017 2 door
2.7 ratio transfer case
ProRock 60's with eaton lockers 5.38 gears
Evo long arm and coilovers
Warn winch
Evo bumpers, sliders, tire carier
40 inch Nittos on KMC beadlocks
various lights, switches etc.

Must have >6 speed transmission. Several hemi conversion places indicate the 8hp70 is soon to be available from mopar with conversion kit for JK. I'm also looking hard at GM solutions from MOTECH.

This will be a daily driver/weekend warrior with several long road trips per year. Currently considering:

392 (only if 8hp70 is available)
5.3 LT 8 or 10 speed
6.2 LS with 6l80
6.2 LT with 8 or 10 speed
6.2 LT4 with 8 or 10 speed

Price is definitely a factor, but I want to do this right the first time, maximize bang for buck and be satisfied with results. The LT4 would be awesome, but stretches my budget to the very edge of my comfort zone.

Appreciate any feedback the group has.

I'm having a l83/8l90 swap done near the end of February. Similar setup, prorock 60s, 5.13s for now, may regear down to 4.56 after I see how it drives with 5.13s but well see. Ill be able to give some feedback in march if i can remember this thread lol.

JT@623

Hooked
I’ve got the LT1 and 10 speed from MOTECH P/R 60’s altlas etc and couldn’t be happier . The customer service is top notch as well.

Birdman1979

I'm having a l83/8l90 swap done near the end of February. Similar setup, prorock 60s, 5.13s for now, may regear down to 4.56 after I see how it drives with 5.13s but well see. Ill be able to give some feedback in march if i can remember this thread lol.

I really like this engine/trans bang for the buck. I WANT the extra 6.2 power, but I feel like this combo has a tremendous value and has all the power I would NEED and then some.

March is when I need to make my decision, so I'll be curious to see what you think

Fury22

I really like this engine/trans bang for the buck. I WANT the extra 6.2 power, but I feel like this combo has a tremendous value and has all the power I would NEED and then some.

March is when I need to make my decision, so I'll be curious to see what you think

Haha yes i had the same agrument with myself many times. And like motech said in one of their videos on it, the l83 is the engine you need, not the one you probably want lol. Especially you being a 2 door which i just realized, you should be lighter and can get away with less power....i got lucky tho rpm extreme just got a l83/8l90 with 3...yes 3 miles on it because it fell off a transport truck lol. So basically a crate motor so that helped me pull the trigger too. I think ill be more than happy with it. But like you said it becomes a want vs. need thing at your stage.

JT@623

Hooked
So that would be similar to 4.56 on 40’s for me. How do you like the gearing? I’m thinking 5.38 will be a bit to low

I like it a lot the first three gears in the 10 speed are plenty low when in low range. I find I don’t need 4 low as much with this combo . But I can still run 75 out on the highway around 1800 rpm

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Your profile says VA? Shop install or self perform? What is your preferred cruising or wheeling style? What is your budget? Are you actually planning to daily drive this and if so is it your only vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
How well do these GM swaps integrate with the JK? Do all the gauges still work? Any annoying lights in the dash? Does the console shifter work with a 8 or 10 speed? Cooling issues? I'm looking at any cons before thinking about doing all the work and spending $15k in parts.

I once swapped a Ford 5.0HO into a CJ-7 and after it was all said and done, I could have saved a lot of money and effort by just beefing up and EFI'ing the old 4.0L.

Birdman1979

Your profile says VA? Shop install or self perform? What is your preferred cruising or wheeling style? What is your budget? Are you actually planning to daily drive this and if so is it your only vehicle?

I will have a shop do the install. I will drive this around town and to/from trails, so it needs to cruise at 80 mph

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I will have a shop do the install. I will drive this around town and to/from trails, so it needs to cruise at 80 mph

I wouldn’t throw more than a stock 5.3 worth of power at that factory transfer case. If you do go into a bigger higher hp motor, definitely consider a gear driven unit.

8 or 10 speed is a good idea and probably the way forward, but I wouldn’t be absolutely hung up on it if it is a deal breaker. You can run an 8 or 10 speed behind any LS.

As far as hemi vs GM in a JK (excluding JL/JT), I personally think the hemis tend to look and sound more stock, like they just belong. But the GM systems seem to work better with the tech of the JKs (it initially seems like the opposite with JL, hemis integrate better).

My $0.02, make sure the the shop is fully aware of all of the time it will take to work bugs out. Additionally, whatever your budget is, I’d add another $5k at least for redoing some parts, labor and tuning to work through dialing it all in.

Lastly, I would definitely decide how you want to use it, your machine can go a lot of different directions at this point.

A.J.

I love my 5.7 Hemi. I did it myself. I got a great deal on one used. It has been relatively trouble free. Realistically I probably would not have done it otherwise. I drive it and wheel it everywhere. If I had the budget to do it any way I wanted I would do an aluminum block LS with the 8speed. Smaller lighter package with plenty of power. I would kick all the factory wiring to the curb and use a race style harness with a suitable digital data logger integrated into the dash to replace Speedo etc. No frills just simple and reliable. Fun to dream!

Birdman1979

I wouldn’t throw more than a stock 5.3 worth of power at that factory transfer case. If you do go into a bigger higher hp motor, definitely consider a gear driven unit.

8 or 10 speed is a good idea and probably the way forward, but I wouldn’t be absolutely hung up on it if it is a deal breaker. You can run an 8 or 10 speed behind any LS.

As far as hemi vs GM in a JK (excluding JL/JT), I personally think the hemis tend to look and sound more stock, like they just belong. But the GM systems seem to work better with the tech of the JKs (it initially seems like the opposite with JL, hemis integrate better).

My $0.02, make sure the the shop is fully aware of all of the time it will take to work bugs out. Additionally, whatever your budget is, I’d add another $5k at least for redoing some parts, labor and tuning to work through dialing it all in.

Lastly, I would definitely decide how you want to use it, your machine can go a lot of different directions at this point.

I read through your build thread.... sounds like you've had a long and painfully hard road getting to where you are now, so I appreciate you jumping in on my thread to weigh in. I was naively thinking I could drop my jeep off for 2-4 weeks at the same vendor you originally did, pay my 20-30K and have a turn key solution for the next 50-100K miles. Sounds like that may have been wishful thinking. I would regret my investment if that wasn't possible.

If you were do it all over again, what would you recommend?

Birdman1979

If I had the budget to do it any way I wanted I would do an aluminum block LS with the 8speed. Smaller lighter package with plenty of power. I would kick all the factory wiring to the curb and use a race style harness with a suitable digital data logger integrated into the dash to replace Speedo etc. No frills just simple and reliable. Fun to dream!

This approach is attractive. I'd just want to keep a/c. Cruise control (possible?) would be nice too.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I read through your build thread.... sounds like you've had a long and painfully hard road getting to where you are now, so I appreciate you jumping in on my thread to weigh in. I was naively thinking I could drop my jeep off for 2-4 weeks at the same vendor you originally did, pay my 20-30K and have a turn key solution for the next 50-100K miles. Sounds like that may have been wishful thinking. I would regret my investment if that wasn't possible.

If you were do it all over again, what would you recommend?

Not to say that some folks haven’t expressed good results from Motech, but in my opinion, even if their “kit” worked, there’s still a lot of little custom pieces that still need fine tuning for each individual build (ie, intake, exhaust, wiring, torque converter, engine and trans dyno tuning, etc.) I would say, keep in mind, most of these kits are designed to make a Jeep drive down the street and highway, they aren’t built for heavy off road abuse.

20k for a full build, LT, 8 speed, etc is probably a pipe dream. If I were to do it all again, I wouldn’t do it all, or would start with a chassis and go stand alone like A.J. Previously mentioned, which I believe is becoming the future of JK V8 swaps. Not to say I don’t enjoy mine at this point, but it is at the far end of the spectrum.

I do not know how many miles or how “beat” your Jeep is being it is only a ‘17, but that’s sort of why I was asking what is your real intent with it and what is your expectations. Do you just want cool sound cruising to the coffee shop on the weekend or do you think you want an ultra 4 rig? That’s where I would suggest to start on integrated harness vs stand alone.

Overlander and I used to discuss his 2 door a bit, and I did think a lightweight 2 door build sort of like vengeance, with a shop built hopped up 5.3 LS (especially stand alone) and a nice tune would be awesome.

Birdman1979

I love my 5.7 Hemi. I did it myself. I got a great deal on one used. It has been relatively trouble free. Realistically I probably would not have done it otherwise. I drive it and wheel it everywhere. If I had the budget to do it any way I wanted I would do an aluminum block LS with the 8speed. Smaller lighter package with plenty of power. I would kick all the factory wiring to the curb and use a race style harness with a suitable digital data logger integrated into the dash to replace Speedo etc. No frills just simple and reliable. Fun to dream!

Not to say that some folks haven’t expressed good results from Motech, but in my opinion, even if their “kit” worked, there’s still a lot of little custom pieces that still need fine tuning for each individual build (ie, intake, exhaust, wiring, torque converter, engine and trans dyno tuning, etc.) I would say, keep in mind, most of these kits are designed to make a Jeep drive down the street and highway, they aren’t built for heavy off road abuse.

20k for a full build, LT, 8 speed, etc is probably a pipe dream. If I were to do it all again, I wouldn’t do it all, or would start with a chassis and go stand alone like A.J. Previously mentioned, which I believe is becoming the future of JK V8 swaps. Not to say I don’t enjoy mine at this point, but it is at the far end of the spectrum.

I do not know how many miles or how “beat” your Jeep is being it is only a ‘17, but that’s sort of why I was asking what is your real intent with it and what is your expectations. Do you just want cool sound cruising to the coffee shop on the weekend or do you think you want an ultra 4 rig? That’s where I would suggest to start on integrated harness vs stand alone.

Overlander and I used to discuss his 2 door a bit, and I did think a lightweight 2 door build sort of like vengeance, with a shop built hopped up 5.3 LS (especially stand alone) and a nice tune would be awesome.

My JK is in good shape. I sold my raptor about 4 months ago and bought a JK because I missed wheeling. It was bone stock 4 months ago with 60K miles . I've spent the last 18 years forward deployed and moving from duty station to duty station. I'm finally at a point where I can stay in one place (even if it is Virginia) and decided to start a build.

Originally planned to put 35's on it and just have fun. Soon realized I wanted more, so I contacted EVO and DYNATRAC and they set me up with a 1 ton setup to work with 40's. Once my axles are finished, I'll get the EVO suspension and 40's on that I have waiting at home.

I don't have a ton of wheeling experience, but I would prefer to do it right the first time. I grew up turning wrenches with my dad in the garage and we built a 65 Chevelle from the ground up that I drove in high school. I went to college in the upper peninsula of Michigan, where a found 4WD to be a lot more fun and useful.

I think jeeps allow for both offroad and a little bit of hot-rod on the road. That's what I'm looking for. A lot to ask out of one vehicle, but if I could turn it into an offroad muscle car that was still steet-able, that would be nirvana. I want to be able to take it to all the offroad meca's and drive it there and back.

I can sacrifice creature comforts (except a/c) so if a standalone LS and trans with auto meter gauges is the way to go, I'm good with that, I'd probably prefer that as long as I can keep it street legal.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
...I'd probably prefer that as long as I can keep it street legal.

Depending on where you live, the standalone system is no bueno if you want to be street legal.

Honestly, you might consider figuring out what (if anything because I don’t know if the axles can be made to work) from your current 1 ton system could be swapped to one of the new 392 JL’s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom