Rock Slider build

CalSgt

Hooked
Since my LOD Destroyers are... destroyed, and would need lots of fab work to fit with the EVO MFG Long Arms they gots to go. I looked at just about every frame mounted option available for the JL and I don't think any of them will work without extensive modification, I'm going to build my own.

I torched the mounting brackets off of the LOD's and will try to reuse what I can, also picked up a 20 foot stick of 1.75", 0.120" wall DOM tubing to make the sliders with.

I'm thinking if EVO can make production frame mounted sliders for the JL in three weeks, I should be able to get them done in three weeks too...

IMG_4641.jpg

MericaMade

Since my LOD Destroyers are... destroyed, and would need lots of fab work to fit with the EVO MFG Long Arms they gots to go. I looked at just about every frame mounted option available for the JL and I don't think any of them will work without extensive modification, I'm going to build my own.

I torched the mounting brackets off of the LOD's and will try to reuse what I can, also picked up a 20 foot stick of 1.75", 0.120" wall DOM tubing to make the sliders with.

I'm thinking if EVO can make production frame mounted sliders for the JL in three weeks, I should be able to get them done in three weeks too...

View attachment 357929
Lol, thats awesome.

WJCO

Meme King
Nice. I'm still surprised that there aren't more manufacturers making a frame mounted version yet.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Nice. I'm still surprised that there aren't more manufacturers making a frame mounted version yet.

Is the frame wall thickness less on a JL than on a JK? Could that be why there are less options?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Is the frame wall thickness less on a JL than on a JK? Could that be why there are less options?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

If there were frame issues then people would have issues with the long arms. I know of a few sets of the evo sliders that were made. My guess is they just don’t want to make them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
If there were frame issues then people would have issues with the long arms. I know of a few sets of the evo sliders that were made. My guess is they just don’t want to make them.

I've seen one set on a certain JL a year or two ago and they look good. There must not be much of a margin in building these or they would likely have been out three weeks ago :idontknow:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I've seen one set on a certain JL a year or two ago and they look good. There must not be much of a margin in building these or they would likely have been out three weeks ago :idontknow:

Good points. You’d think there would still be some demand. It wouldn’t need to be redesign, just adapt the JKs. I don’t know 🤷*♂️

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

CalSgt

Hooked
I was hoping to have the first one mocked up by today but I was derailed by about 3 hours yesterday & again today for about 5... There's a few old men that like to stop by and bullshit with dad, which I don't mind but it's impossible to get anything done in the shop when they're there.

CalSgt

Hooked
Okay... No distractions today, got the first side nearly complete. I decided to copy the GenRight slider steps but with mitered corners because I don't have a tube bender.

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

I reused the frame mounts from the LOD Destroyers. They were almost all broken when I took the LOD's off so I'm going to beef them up with some gussets.

IMG_4665.jpg

JL-Step-Rockers-Black-Web__30007.1530305693.1280.1280.jpg

IMG_2374.JPG

Looks awesome. I like the square tube for the main runner. Leave the openings bare though. Don’t put that dimpled cover plate on like the LODs. Or you could recess some plate between each opening, that might look cool. Either way I like the exposed look of the ribs of the sliders.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

CalSgt

Hooked
Looks awesome. I like the square tube for the main runner. Leave the openings bare though. Don’t put that dimpled cover plate on like the LODs. Or you could recess some plate between each opening, that might look cool. Either way I like the exposed look of the ribs of the sliders.

Ive got todo something to cover them up, these STT Pro's sling shit up the side of the body. I thought about recessing plates between each opening but was concerned they would fill up with snow and ice that would be impossible to scrape off... I'm open to ideas though.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
Got the second side built today, added some square tubing into the mounts to beef them up some more. Still need to figure out what to make the step surface out of, I'm worried one of the kids legs could slip through and hurt them.

Also need to build a third mount for the rear that will work with the EVO LA's

56FA8818-F451-4635-9859-ED4F1ACAD6C5.JPG

IMG_4678.jpg

I ordered some rocker armor that will go on once the sliders are finished

IMG_4673.jpg

Ive got todo something to cover them up, these STT Pro's sling shit up the side of the body. I thought about recessing plates between each opening but was concerned they would fill up with snow and ice that would be impossible to scrape off... I'm open to ideas though.

Yea those are good points. I’m the worst about putting looks before function[emoji23]

You could put some plate almost flush with the top of the round tube. That way you could still see the ribs. I might use smooth 10 gauge, but diamond plate would function well.
IMG_2384.jpg IMG_2383.jpg

Whatever you decide will look nice though. I’m just living vicariously right now. I want to do a similar project.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Got the second side built today, added some square tubing into the mounts to beef them up some more. Still need to figure out what to make the step surface out of, I'm worried one of the kids legs could slip through and hurt them.

Also need to build a third mount for the rear that will work with the EVO LA's

View attachment 358179

View attachment 358180

I ordered some rocker armor that will go on once the sliders are finished

View attachment 358181

Those look stout. I wouldn’t definitely put some sort of top on them to keep little feet from getting stuck.

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

CalSgt

Hooked
Yea those are good points. I’m the worst about putting looks before function[emoji23]

You could put some plate almost flush with the top of the round tube. That way you could still see the ribs. I might use smooth 10 gauge, but diamond plate would function well.

Whatever you decide will look nice though. I’m just living vicariously right now. I want to do a similar project.

I was looking at this perforated hot roll steel, its a bit pricey but I think it would look good on there. I would rather find some material to repurpose but all I have come up with is really old 14 Ga galvanized sheet...

steel-perforated-sheet.jpg

Top Bottom