Brake noise BS

Colorado4x4

Check this out. I thought this noise was coming from my front end. I removed the front stock driveshaft (rzeppa boot torn) because I thought the driveshaft was making the noise. Nope. I found that it is coming from the rear driver side thanks to the GoPro. When I am in a turn and the weight of the Jeep goes to the driver side the noise is pretty loud. The noise completely stops when I press the brake pedal in. 2016 JKU with 59,000 miles. I put new pads and rotors on maybe 8,000 miles ago. I just installed new chromoly rear shafts and the noise was there before and still there after. Looks like I’m going to pull it all apart again. Maybe something is caught up in there but the oscillating sound makes me think the rotor is uneven? Or the caliper slider pins are stuck or I need new calipers because they’re not retracting? Any tips? Thanks.

https://youtu.be/i2BGGlmo_eQ

I’m driving around the roundabout and people thought I was crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I forgot to mention that I just installed new chromoly rear shafts. Noise was there beforehand and still there after.

Probably not the flange then. Maybe try new pins and clean the pad guides.

Have your rear disks turned. I ran into this years ago and couldn’t figure out why after the shaft replacement, it was still squeaking. The disks were really out of round.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Colorado4x4

Have your rear disks turned. I ran into this years ago and couldn’t figure out why after the shaft replacement, it was still squeaking. The disks were really out of round.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ok sounds like a plan. I will get the rotors turned, grease the slide pins and see if it stops. It’s annoying is what it is. I really thought it was my front driveshaft so at least I get to put a new 1310 on. Do JKs have a lot of issues with calipers not retracting all the way? I still can’t wrap my head around how the noise gets worse when a load is applied to it.

Another thing to note, is I did a long highway drive the other day and got out a spray bottle with water. The rear passenger barely smoked when I sprayed it. Both front rotors steamed about the same. Rear driver rotor was boiling hot and the water just evaporated violently when sprayed.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Ok sounds like a plan. I will get the rotors turned, grease the slide pins and see if it stops. It’s annoying is what it is. I really thought it was my front driveshaft so at least I get to put a new 1310 on. Do JKs have a lot of issues with calipers not retracting all the way? I still can’t wrap my head around how the noise gets worse when a load is applied to it.

Another thing to note, is I did a long highway drive the other day and got out a spray bottle with water. The rear passenger barely smoked when I sprayed it. Both front rotors steamed about the same. Rear driver rotor was boiling hot and the water just evaporated violently when sprayed.

Yeah they can dry out and stick, especially if you have salt applied to your roads, it tends to bind things up. Your rear driver caliper could be beginning to fail as well. When you put everything together, grease it well and watch that rear caliper.

If you want to rule the front DS out, just remove it at try driving it with out it, but it sounds like the rear brake in that video

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
When my flange bent, and I started hearing the squeak I stopped driving the Jeep (for 3 weeks) until the new axle came in. I had just installed Progrips and didn’t want to fuck them up... So like Bill said.. maybe they got damaged... or warped.

Are your brakes stock? Maybe just grab new rear rotors... they can’t be that much $.

Colorado4x4

Yeah they can dry out and stick, especially if you have salt applied to your roads, it tends to bind things up. Your rear driver caliper could be beginning to fail as well. When you put everything together, grease it well and watch that rear caliper.

If you want to rule the front DS out, just remove it at try driving it with out it, but it sounds like the rear brake in that video

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks for the tips! We do have salt on the roads here. Front driveshaft is out. I will pull it all apart and have another look at it. I can’t wait for this stupid noise to be gone.

Colorado4x4

I can’t find anything wrong. Relubed slider pin boots. Noise is still there. I can only hear it when the weight is put on the passenger side on a turn. Makes me think it’s the wheel bearing but I just put new rear shafts on a couple of weeks ago with new bearings pressed on from the manufacturer. I wonder if it’s something in the differential but I don’t see how it can be because the noise completely goes away when I apply the brakes.

Last edited:

desertrunner

I'm going out on a limb here but I had a noise that I swore was brake issues or a bent flange that just turned out to be a speaking Heim joint on my EVO swaybar links.
Not sure what links you have but maybe hit the links with some WD40? Idk maybe worth a shot

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
That does not sound like brake or drivetrain noise to me. It sounds like suspension noise. I would check your control arms and shock bolts. I would also take a look at your control arm and shock bushings. Also look at your brake lines and e brake cable, to see if they are contacting something they shouldn’t be contacting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Colorado4x4

I'm going out on a limb here but I had a noise that I swore was brake issues or a bent flange that just turned out to be a speaking Heim joint on my EVO swaybar links.
Not sure what links you have but maybe hit the links with some WD40? Idk maybe worth a shot

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

That does not sound like brake or drivetrain noise to me. It sounds like suspension noise. I would check your control arms and shock bolts. I would also take a look at your control arm and shock bushings. Also look at your brake lines and e brake cable, to see if they are contacting something they shouldn’t be contacting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ok thanks guys. I appreciate it. I will go on to check that stuff. It’s funny you noted the sway bar link because when I was just under there pulling the brakes apart again I found that the sway bar link boot is bad. Maybe the noise goes away when I hit the brakes because some of the load is taken off of the spring at that point.

zimm

Caught the Bug
The "whooosh whooosh whoosh" sound? Maybe it's the E-brake pads inside the rotor? Mine rears squeaked like crazy when hitting bumps and was quiet when applying brake pressure, but that turned out to be bent flanges.

Colorado4x4

The "whooosh whooosh whoosh" sound? Maybe it's the E-brake pads inside the rotor? Mine rears squeaked like crazy when hitting bumps and was quiet when applying brake pressure, but that turned out to be bent flanges.

I just watched the video again and there are two different noises. A whoosh whoosh as the wheel rotates and I can kind of see how it is in sync with the wheel rotating by looking at the white sticker on the inside of the wheel. I just found a YouTube video from 1A Auto and he was saying that while going around turns there is a very small amount of play in the wheel bearings and it causes the rotor to push in a little bit. There is also that terrible grinding sound. Not sure what the hell any of this is so I’m going to pull it apart tomorrow and see if I can find any scraping marks on the dust shield or anything else that looks out of place.

Colorado4x4

I pulled the caliper off, checked the brakes and the only thing I found was odd was that the inner pad had a pretty good scoring mark where the caliper piston is sitting and it looks like it may be moving up and down based on the marks? I pulled the slider pins, cleaned them and reapplied lube. Noise is the same. I’ve got new rear sway bar links to install next and will see if that changes anything. I’m going to check the suspension bushings and fix the upper coil seat next.
IMG_3764.jpg IMG_3766.jpg

Top Bottom