Expert Transmission Opinion

Electric8Willy

I've had my Jeep in the Xmission shop two times. Different shops.
Question is, how hard is it to mess up a clutch package install on a 09 Jeep Wrangler. Two years later I take my Jeep to another shop and they fix it. Here's they said.

2nd Clutch Repair Job: I was told the Exact Cause of Failure: Clutch Package Input bearing failed, making a growling noise. The bearing was pushed up against pressure plate causing a groove to wear into the pressure plate.
Question: any thoughts on installing a clutch package and the input bearing.

My Jeep is now fixed.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I think you are referring to the throwout bearing and it’s job is to push again the pressure plate to release the clutch disk. It would be very hard to mess this up during install. Sounds like you might have had a defective bearing or someone installed a cheap clutch kit and the bearing had a short lived life.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

zimm

Caught the Bug
Do you sit for long periods of time with the clutch pushed in, like at a red light? If so, the throwout bearing is running that whole time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Do you sit for long periods of time with the clutch pushed in, like at a red light? If so, the throwout bearing is running that whole time.

This^^ the more you stand on the clutch the quicker you will wear out the throw out bearing.

This^^ the more you stand on the clutch the quicker you will wear out the throw out bearing.

Still though two years is excessively quick.
The input bearing is part of the transmission itself, the throw out bearing is what moves the clutch, and the pilot bearing is the little guy the front of the input rides in. Which one did they say failed? We’ll assume the throw out bearing because that’s what rides against the plate. Did they say if it was a plastic or full metal one? Kits often come with a plastic faced tob. And sometimes you’re just unlucky and a bearing fails. It just clips in, it’s not like the installer screwed up putting it in.

Last edited:

Electric8Willy

Still though two years is excessively quick.
The input bearing is part of the transmission itself, the throw out bearing is what moves the clutch, and the pilot bearing is the little guy the front of the input rides in. Which one did they say failed? We’ll assume the throw out bearing because that’s what rides against the plate. Did they say if it was a plastic or full metal one? Kits often come with a plastic faced tob. And sometimes you’re just unlucky and a bearing fails. It just clips in, it’s not like the installer screwed up putting it in.

That's what I was thinking. I had my Jeep repaired and they installed new clutch package. Things just didn't sound right and I tried to get them to fix the noise. They said let it warm up and the chatter will go away. I also had clutch pedal vibration at 2400 rpm. Xmission seem loud in all gears. Sitting in idle you could hear chatter.
2 years later I decided to take the Jeep to another shop. New Clutch package, new starter, replaced the Master and Slave Hydraulic Reservoir.
And now theres no noise. Do I not have a reason to request some money back for doing a bad job at the first shop.

Lol. Good luck getting anything after 2 years, but for future reference, should never be any chatter on a new clutch. Sounds like you found out the hard way to not go back there, fixed now and enjoy it.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
That's what I was thinking. I had my Jeep repaired and they installed new clutch package. Things just didn't sound right and I tried to get them to fix the noise. They said let it warm up and the chatter will go away. I also had clutch pedal vibration at 2400 rpm. Xmission seem loud in all gears. Sitting in idle you could hear chatter.
2 years later I decided to take the Jeep to another shop. New Clutch package, new starter, replaced the Master and Slave Hydraulic Reservoir.
And now theres no noise. Do I not have a reason to request some money back for doing a bad job at the first shop.

Just saw where you are from. What shop did you use?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
There is a big difference in throw out bearing qualities on the market. And many of them are made largely of plastic. To me it sounds like the TOB was probably of lesser quality, it’s possible that it could have been installed incorrectly but I would say unlikely.

2 years can mean a lot of different things. How many miles are we talking? City, highway, off road, rock crawling? How bout your gearing, tire size, and driving habits? Basically one guy might be able to put 10 years worth of wear on in 1 year given the number of variables.

darrylK

I think you are referring to the throwout bearing and it’s job is to push again the pressure plate to release the clutch disk. It would be very hard to mess this up during install. Sounds like you might have had a defective bearing or someone installed a cheap clutch kit and the bearing had a short lived life.

This must explain the growling noise on uncle's new JK project. The previous owner mentioned the trans was repaired about 3 years ago. We'll take a closer look after we finished installing the bumpers and winch from 4Wheelonline on the truck this week and clear the garage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom