Pickup for towing

jorgelrod

Hooked
I have had the jeep since new and is still my daily driver. Living in Florida means that all decent trails are at least five hours away. Last time I was able to wheel with the wayalife crew I ended up driving from Tennessee on my front driveshaft. I'm starting to look at a pickup truck for my daily and towing duties for the jeep so I don't feel like I have to be constantly worrying about breaking on the trail.

With that said, I'm not sure on a RAM 1500 or a 2500. Certainly there's a difference in the car payment between both. Would a 1500 like maybe a rebel would be good enough to to the jeep or should I definitely be looking at the 2500?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

benatc1

Hooked
2500 might be a bit overkill in terms of capacity, but it will tow so much better and go so much longer on your trips, assuming the 2500 is a diesel of course. So I'd think you'll see the benefit of paying more,1500 will likely be within tow limits of your Jeep/trailer/gear, but it may be high side of what the truck can handle comfortably.whipe I'd think a 1500 will do the job, If you can swing a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel you'll have no regrets, even if it's overkill.

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I know guys do it, but I wouldn't even think about a half ton. 3/4 ton all the way. That then opens it up to gas or diesel......

Kuboske

I have a low mileage, 2001. CHEVY 2500HD. 6.0, gasser. I've pulled my small body, Jeeps, all over, and mostly from Indiana to the Rockies. I pull a 20' Featherlite, alum. car hauler trailer. Average 11-11.5 mpg, all the way including mountain pass roads. That might seem like a lot of gasoline, but consider the massive upcharge for a diesel. Plus, the easy, anywhere, availability of gasoline stations. Diesels would absolutely be the choice if your going to load up a truck camper, or trailer as part of your everyday life. I will never go back to a half ton.

JKbrick

I agree with 3/4 ton, I’ve always had one from the time I was 17, they are just built with bigger components such as steering and brakes that will last longer and tow better

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bmkrinne

2500 it is then...

Good choice!

Just to reinforce your decision... a 6000 lb Jeep on a ~ 2000-3000 lb trailer is going to be a handful behind a 1500 truck. Like the tail wagging the dog!

jdofmemi

2500 all the way.

I have been a diesel truck liver forever, but the emissions rules have killed the new ones, in my opinion.

If towing all the time I still would go diesel, but if it is only a once a month thing, or something like that, I would go gas for reliability, price, and ease of service.

Everything on a diesel costs more, so think about whether you really need it.

bmkrinne

2500 all the way.

I have been a diesel truck liver forever, but the emissions rules have killed the new ones, in my opinion.

If towing all the time I still would go diesel, but if it is only a once a month thing, or something like that, I would go gas for reliability, price, and ease of service.

Exactly Jerry! You’ve also got to drive a diesel often or else it will go downhill! Mine hates sitting in the driveway!

jorgelrod

Hooked
2500 all the way.

Dude, the cost of the diesel Gladiator oil change alone put me off diesel for a rig that won't be hauling constantly. Don't want to think how much the one on a 2500 would be.

WJCO

Meme King
2500 all the way.

Agreed on all.

Dale72

Hooked
Dude, the cost of the diesel Gladiator oil change alone put me off diesel for a rig that won't be hauling constantly. Don't want to think how much the one on a 2500 would be.

But on a diesel 2500 or 3500 you will only need to change one of the 2 fuel filters every other oil change. Unless you get hold of some really bad fuel

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dale72

Hooked
This one has 2 fuel filters and I only had to change both every other time. Until I put a auxiliary fuel tank in which had a fuel filter then I could go 3 changes before I had to change both 20170123_133653.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
3/4 or 1 ton for sure. And if you go diesel you won’t even know it’s back there.

benatc1

Hooked
Maintenance is a killer on the new diesels, gotta account for def too. But while I agree emissions have killed em, my 19 HO has way more ass than my 06 5.9 pre emission, even when it was hopped up, mileage certainly suffers too. I daily driver mine too about 25k a year and have no regrets, but totally get wanting to keep those extra costs down.

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

I have a 18 F150 with the 3.5 V6 evoboost and it towed my Jeep on a 20 foot steel deck trailer to Dumont CA with zero issues. I cruised up the Cajon Pass with ease at 65.

Top Bottom