Upcoming Table Mesa, AZ Trail, suggestions.

tgutierrez

What’s up everyone!

A group of Jeepers and I are planning a trip up to AZ the weekend of March 5th-7th, 2021. This happens to be the same weekend of the 6th Table Mesa Jeep Jamboree. I was unable to register in the Jamboree but I did notice that there are 2 Badge of Honor trails nearby, worth checking out. Anyone familiar with this area have any suggestions of nice trails?

Not looking for anything too challenging...scenic for sure. Most of our wranglers aren’t equipped for any serious rock crawling. I saw a video on YouTube of a trail named Turkey Creek, does anyone know how to get to this trail? I appreciate any help and tips on where to go and stay! Jeep on!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
The badge of honor trails are Schnebly Hill and Table Mesa Rd . Schnebly is a super scenic fire road down into Sedona from highway 17 . Amazing views but no obstacles . Super bumpy so air down . Well worth it .

Table Mesa road is another 19 mile drive that allows you to access other trails . I think Jeep marked the wrong trail because it’s nothing special .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgutierrez

The badge of honor trails are Schnebly Hill and Table Mesa Rd . Schnebly is a super scenic fire road down into Sedona from highway 17 . Amazing views but no obstacles . Super bumpy so air down . Well worth it .

Table Mesa road is another 19 mile drive that allows you to access other trails . I think Jeep marked the wrong trail because it’s nothing special .

Thanks for the info danford! I read online that most of the land is BLM and that permits are required. Do you know if this is true? I’m ashamed to say I’ve used trails inside the BLM in New Mexico and never had a permit.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

Don’t waste your time with Table Mesa. Unless you are gonna run the harder stuff it is really boring and the rocks are tire eaters. Go over to the Florence AZ area for better scenery.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the info danford! I read online that most of the land is BLM and that permits are required. Do you know if this is true? I’m ashamed to say I’ve used trails inside the BLM in New Mexico and never had a permit.

I got a permit in Arizona for specific trails in Arizona but didn’t have one for table Mesa . Agree it’s not worth it unless you hit the harder trails that off shoot from it . The AZ Backroads and 4 Wheel drive book has all the trails detailed and is a good buy if you’re gonna spend time there . I think when Jeep added it to the BoH they meant to add a trail on the other side of the highway called New River

tgutierrez

Don’t waste your time with Table Mesa. Unless you are gonna run the harder stuff it is really boring and the rocks are tire eaters. Go over to the Florence AZ area for better scenery.

Thank you for your input JKzinger, The only reason we chose Table Mesa was for the Jamboree. Even though we didn’t register we figured there would be a large group of Jeeps making the trip up there. We’re only there for the weekend so we’re trying to make it memorable. Any trails you recommend in the Florence area?

tgutierrez

I got a permit in Arizona for specific trails in Arizona but didn’t have one for table Mesa . Agree it’s not worth it unless you hit the harder trails that off shoot from it . The AZ Backroads and 4 Wheel drive book has all the trails detailed and is a good buy if you’re gonna spend time there . I think when Jeep added it to the BoH they meant to add a trail on the other side of the highway called New River

Yep, I read into New River and it looks like a good trail. I also read into another trail that runs from Lake Pleasant up to the mining town of Crown King (I believe is its name). BoH is cool but if it’s not worth the time, I’d rather skip it.

JK_0311

Table Mesa road strattles I-17, on the west there are a bunch of day trails that go from mild to the extreme. It is also a recreational area where people camp and park RVs because all of the trails. On the east side is New River trail, which isnt too bad. It being March there will probably be water to cross on the new river trail.

Schebly hill is not difficult and will drop you into Sedona. I have not done turkey creek.

I am fan of Crown King, you begin behind lake pleasant and spend the day traveling up to the town. Start in desert and end in woods. It’s my favorite trail and desoto mine trail is around CK and is another cool trail, that trail take all day and usually I’ll stay in CK and do it.

I have never done any trails in Florence so I can’t speak to those. It’s about an hour or more east of Phoenix. I am not sure where you are staying. I think you would enjoy CK and there are ton of trails to explore off the table Mesa road recreational area. I’ve never bought a permit.

tgutierrez

JK_0311,

Thanks for the detailed info! With that said, I am really leaning towards the New River trail, water crossings are fun. We still haven’t talked about where we would stay, more than likely Anthem, AZ on the first day. If we push north towards Sedona/Schnebly we might find a place up there to crash up there. Crown King back trail is a whole day trip...might have to plan that on another occasion.

JK_0311

I’d get the trail book that was mentioned before, it’ll help you find what you want. Tip Top mine trail on the west side of the I-17 has some water crossings too. Sedona is always cool, especially if you’ve never been. Best of luck and enjoy.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Thank you for your input JKzinger, The only reason we chose Table Mesa was for the Jamboree. Even though we didn’t register we figured there would be a large group of Jeeps making the trip up there. We’re only there for the weekend so we’re trying to make it memorable. Any trails you recommend in the Florence area?

The thing to watch out for at Table Mesa is that If there is a lot of rain the creek can’t be crossed and the jamboree will not run a lot of the more fun trails.

In Florence box canyon is cool, Elvis and there are a bunch of easier scenic trails in the Charles Wells book.

tgutierrez

Thanks for the information guys, I’ll look for that 4x4 book and I’ll research some more trails in the coming weeks to be better prepared. I appreciate the help! If anyone has anymore suggestions, send em my way!

tgutierrez

I’d get the trail book that was mentioned before, it’ll help you find what you want. Tip Top mine trail on the west side of the I-17 has some water crossings too. Sedona is always cool, especially if you’ve never been. Best of luck and enjoy.

I looked into the Tip Top Mine Trail and found online forums that say the property is now fenced. Is this true?

JK_0311

I looked into the Tip Top Mine Trail and found online forums that say the property is now fenced. Is this true?

There’s a fence a few hundred yards before the actual mine. I’m not a big mine explorer. The trail to it running along side the creek with the multiple crossings is what I like about it. If the water is flowing in the agua fria there is another small crossing.

tgutierrez

There’s a fence a few hundred yards before the actual mine. I’m not a big mine explorer. The trail to it running along side the creek with the multiple crossings is what I like about it. If the water is flowing in the agua fria there is another small crossing.

Sounds like Tip Top Trail will be on the to-do list! Thanks man

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Yeah, Table Mesa is great, but I'd steer clear of the area with the Jeep Jamboree group out there.

Hackberry Creek would be a great option for you. Great Scenery.

tgutierrez

Yeah, Table Mesa is great, but I'd steer clear of the area with the Jeep Jamboree group out there.

Hackberry Creek would be a great option for you. Great Scenery.

Thanks man, I was wondering about the Jamboree Groups being out there. Steer clear, because they horde up the trails? or because the event organizers will make a big deal, for non participants?

Yep, unfortunately our Jeeps aren’t equipped to handle any kind of challenging rock crawling. We’ll likely stick to beginner-moderate trails

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Thanks man, I was wondering about the Jamboree Groups being out there. Steer clear, because they horde up the trails? or because the event organizers will make a big deal, for non participants?

Yep, unfortunately our Jeeps aren’t equipped to handle any kind of challenging rock crawling. We’ll likely stick to beginner-moderate trails

Not sure you can even wheel there without being in the jamboree.

JK_0311

Not sure you can even wheel there without being in the jamboree.

I hope this wouldn’t be the case, that area has recreational camping, shooting, trails and even a boat ramp when the agua fria is full. I took a look at the Jeep Jamboree website for the event, about half of them aren’t even in Table Mesa area. I know little about jamborees, so I couldn’t say for certain if they do lock the area down or not. Be a shame if they were allowed.

Top Bottom