Lift Height & 2 Door JKs

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
This is a newb question but at what lift height does a 2 door need an aftermarket rear driveshaft? I’m feeling like it might be time to bump up from the 1” lift but trying not to go too far down the rabbit hole.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I also have a 2 door JK. Anything over 2.5" it's best to get a set of new shafts. Not worth running with the stock ones on anything bigger than a 2.5" or 33s as they'll undoubtedly snap right when you reeeeaaaalllly can't have them snap, in a crucial offroad and high articulating situation [emoji854][emoji23]

This has happened to a buddy of mine while just on the FREEWAY, so not smart to take offroad without beefier shafts, for the correct lift of course. I'd replace them even if I did have just a leveling kit or a 2.5" kit.

BaddestCross

This [emoji3516]... The rear shaft on a 2 door is super short. 2-2.5" is as high as I'd go, but even then I'd probably bite the bullet and upgrade front and rear anyway as they will shit the bed on you soon if you're doing any wheeling that flexes the Jeep out.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
My old 2 door JK had a RK 2.5” lift which was actually 3” of lift and 35’s. I never had an issue with the stock drive shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Both my 2 doors have had 35s and 2" lifts and the stock rear has been fine. At least until I drug the new on on a rock so now it vibrates a little when driving above 70.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Lift Height & 2 Door JKs

2.5” and up is when you need a rear shaft. Also rear upper arms. I’m still running a 1310 and Currie arms on my 2 door in the rear

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
I am in the same boat... The axles I purchased locally came with a Terraflex 3" lift. The person I bought them from had run this setup on his 2013 2 Door JK with the stock shafts. Having read that 3" is really the limit on stock shafts - and even here you need to worry about the front shaft hitting the exhaust and the rear shaft hitting the EVAP skid - I am looking at new shafts from Driveshaft Direct front and rear, and new adjustable control arms for pinion angle. It seems that, like so many things, you can get by with stock, but it is a calculated gamble.

BaddestCross

Yep, and that’s the rabbit hole I’m trying to avoid. By the time i do a 1350 and arms, it’ll be a grand plus on top of the lift components cost.

The only way to avoid that rabbit hole is to leave it stock. [emoji41]

If you're looking to save some cash, look at Core 4x4 arms or do what I did and piece it together with takeoffs from here, CL, and FB. It took me some time but that's what I did... Total frankenlift here, but she performs great.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Yep, and that’s the rabbit hole I’m trying to avoid. By the time i do a 1350 and arms, it’ll be a grand plus on top of the lift components cost.

Welcome to the Jeep way of life! :cheesy:

On a serious note, I feel you. I'd just rather play it safe and not have to worry about anything underneath while on the rocks - that's my opinion.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
The RK 2.5” springs are what I’ll probably use. I had them on my last JKU and I really like them.

The RK coils will definitely give you more lift than advertised. Like others have said on here, adjustable uppers in the rear and lowers in the front. The stock driveshafts will be fine. No need to dump $$ where you don’t need it. If you regear that would most likely be the time to do them. Otherwise, drive it until the shit breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Lank

If you do decide to run factory shafts (I did on 2.5" for quite a while) be sure to crawl under there every once in a while to see if the rzeppa boot hasn't split and is chucking grease everywhere

Once that dries up and the bearings fry, you are asking for trouble.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
If you do decide to run factory shafts (I did on 2.5" for quite a while) be sure to crawl under there every once in a while to see if the rzeppa boot hasn't split and is chucking grease everywhere

Once that dries up and the bearings fry, you are asking for trouble.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a 1310 front shaft sitting on the floor in my garage. I toasted the front on my first JKU when I was running 3” lift so I’ve been down that road. I was hoping that’d be all I’d need. Go figure.

Top Bottom