Jake the 2 Door JK

Well, it's about time I start one of these build threads.

I have a Built up 1997 TJ, but didn't think it was necessary to start a thread on it since it's pretty much done - let me know if you guys wanna see it, and I'll make a separate thread for it.

Anyways, I got my hands on this 2018 JK Sport in December 2020, and it'll be my second Jeep. I thought it'd be somewhat interesting, given that it's a 2 door.

I went with a JK over a JL for the 10 grand price difference, the 44 in the rear, and more aftermarket availability. I want a diesel 4 door JL anyway, but couldn't afford it now. So for the time being, I've got this little guy, who I'm calling Jake - hence the "JK."

He is totally stock, but not for long (hopefully)

The inital plan is a JKS 3.5" Lift, 35" Trail Grapplers, 17" Slabs, 4.88s, Evo quarter Pounder front bumper, Warn winch, Evo rear fascia and tire carrier, rockers, a KC Gravity bar and few other extra goodies on and under the Jeep.

I wheel it harder than I should with it stock, so I am excited to get this build going. Here are some pics of how it sits now, and I'll also post up pics of trail runs here.

Here goes nothing!

(The white TJ is my good buddy's)

20210126_133056.jpeg 20210129_114439.jpeg 20210126_132843.jpeg 20210129_111925.jpeg 20201225_173625.jpg 20201221_145002.jpg 20201218_162927.jpg 20201218_153646.jpg 20201214_162842.jpg

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Nice platform to build on.

There’s plenty of good wheeling in SoCal. Just have to know where to look.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Until I move out of Cali however, somewhere with more wheeling,

After reading al that this is what I came away with. :doh:

Johnson Valley, Lucern Valley, Anza Borrego, Cougar Buttes, Big Bear, Panamint Valley, Mojave Preserve, Dusy Ershim, etc. Do some research.

Well thank you and I was a bit harsh on SoCal haha. It is a nice place to live, and these trails themselves are great, haven't heard of a few you mentioned, but Cali isn't so wheeler-friendly in my opinion. Or friendly at all for that matter lol. I'm just keen on moving back to Utah where I had a much more enjoyable experience, where my family lives, and where my favorite kind of wheeling resides.

Right... the trails aren't the problem here.... it's all the crap in between them.
I should have probably rephrased that differently. It is the crap in between. Every wheeling trip I have been on down here has been nothing but crazy good fun with my good friends.

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Well thank you and I was a bit harsh on SoCal haha. It is a nice place to live, and these trails themselves are great, haven't heard of a few you mentioned, but Cali isn't so wheeler-friendly in my opinion. Or friendly at all for that matter lol. I'm just keen on moving back to Utah where I had a much more enjoyable experience, where my family lives, and where my favorite kind of wheeling resides.

Sounds like you’re not happy and need to move away.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone from SoCal. I should probably just shut my mouth and wheel these places you said that I haven't heard of. I'll commence the first mod tomorrow.

JKbrick

I wouldn't say unhappy, but definitely getting homesick. Or maybe Covid's finally made me crack...

Speaking of Covid and crack in the same sentence, I heard China or somewhere not here thank God is doing anal Covid swab tests now, no thanks. Oh and if your looking to move for the wheeling take Indiana off your list!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

First "mod" I did today was removing the front air dam on the bumper. It definitely increases the approach by a bit and I think it gives it a cleaner look.

It was nothing really, just some stubborn plastic and rubber pins. It'll be nice to chop off the front crossmember as well once I get Evo's Quarter Pounder that requires that step. 20210130_202748.jpg

JKbrick

First "mod" I did today was removing the front air dam on the bumper. It definitely increases the approach by a bit and I think it gives it a cleaner look.

It was nothing really, just some stubborn plastic and rubber pins. It'll be nice to chop off the front crossmember as well once I get Evo's Quarter Pounder that requires that step. View attachment 358536

Don’t be shocked if you have hood flutter with that gone but it’s worth it the look is so much better

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

FFPulley77

Hooked
Oh I'm prepared lol. Surprised to see none however, even when accelerating from 40 to 80 on on ramps or when passing. Planning on some reinforced hood latches regardless.

Wait till an 18-wheeler comes flying by you in the opposite direction. It feels like the hood’s gonna fly off every time.

Made a couple trail runs today at the Corral Canyon OHV park in SoCal. We ran Gunslinger and Bronco Flats - and after a serious downpour my stock SRAs proved to be useless in the mud. A set of BFG KO2s to come in the next couple of weeks.
20210212_190714.jpeg 20210212_190507.jpeg 20210212_190316.jpeg 20210212_190918.jpeg 20210212_130348.jpg 20210212_125502.jpg 20210212_114635.jpg 20210212_114705.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom