Constantly throwing codes...

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
So I’ve been dealing with this for over six months. Engine has constantly been throwing codes.

Codes as listed:
Po394 camshaft sensor.
Po6dd no description
P2638 torque management feedback
C121c torque request signal denied
Others have been low oil pressure, throttle positioning, one regarding throttle response.

I have replaced camshaft and crank sensors, new plugs. From what I’ve read it’s been a common issue but haven’t seen anyone’s actual results. And if they did, none of them have been consistent. Have changed oil multiple times, thicker oil. Was in the process of switching to the newer 14’ oil housing hoping it would fix the issue/ possibly see if I’m loosing oil. But the valley only had a little but underneath. One oil change I was 3q low on 3200 mile oil change with royal purple.

So, my thoughts are the oil pump in the pan is gone, or last thing is the ring and pistons are done. Recently broke a broke off the new oil cooler housing and is stuck in the block.

Maybe it’s time for an ls with a stand alone run by wire . [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What problems does it have RIGHT NOW.
Your post is confusing.
If your oil pump was gone you’d know by now by your engine exploding.
Leak down and compression test is easy to do if you’re worried about internals.
Does it run like crap or does it just think it’s faulting? Check harness for damage and connections are clean.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

fiend

Caught the Bug
3 quarts low after 3200 miles doesn’t sound like an electrical issue. Where’d all the oil go?

jdofmemi

3 quarts low after 3200 miles doesn’t sound like an electrical issue. Where’d all the oil go?

PCV valve? Or scored cylinders/worn rings?

Also may have electrical issues to go along with it.

fiend

Caught the Bug
PCV valve? Or scored cylinders/worn rings?

Also may have electrical issues to go along with it.

Cylinder leak down test will answer the second question. I’d also do a compression test.

But yeah, it could have electrical/sensor problems too.

Wethy

Soo......... im going to start with my own experience with 2 of those codes.....

P06dd is the dual stage pump stuck low. Aka your oil pump wont speed up under high load. Before i swapped my motor i would get that as i was burning through almost a quart of oil on 1000KM(it was bad) if your running synthetic oil you probably wont smell the usual oil burnoff in the exhaust. Atleast i didnt.

The oil pump in a JK is a 2stage with a high and low mode basically below 3000rpm it stays in low, and above that is high if theres not enough oil in the sump it wont engage into high and will rev limit the motor to protect it.

Mine would occasionally throw the p0394 code when that happened p06DD was active.

C121C seems to have something to do wifh the ABS module. Atleast according to the service manual.

Start with a leak down test/compression test on the cylinders. I ended up with low conpression on cylinder three resulting in a misfire under load. but while driving flat or down hill youd never know it was missing unless you listened to the exhaust.
Ultimately i ended up swapping the motor. I cant really complain thouch because i got 430,000km in 6 years relatively trouble free.

Ive also attached a couple pictures from the service manaul to go over to see the "theory" of why each code will come up atleast for p06dd and p2638

Attachments

• p06dd.jpg
    p06dd.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 95
  • p2638.jpg
    p2638.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

theNomad

I'm getting lots of codes and they are saying its wiring harness. The thing is terrible, after 8 years the sheathing is crumbling, the wires are hard and cracking... I only see this type of thing in 30 year old cars in the junkyard

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
I'm getting lots of codes and they are saying its wiring harness. The thing is terrible, after 8 years the sheathing is crumbling, the wires are hard and cracking... I only see this type of thing in 30 year old cars in the junkyard

That's what was wrong with my 2012 when I first got it! The wiring that connected to the cam position sensor plug was bad. The wiring "looked" fine, maybe just a little faded, but when I cut the old wiring/plug off I found that one of the wires had frayed entirely within the plastic. I had the plug replaced at the dealer - shortly after diagnosing the problem I cut a finger off and could not contort my less dominate right hand well enough to wire the new plug in. Since the repair I have not had a single problem! Even when/after wheeling the heck out of the Jeep when before I couldn't even hit a little bump without all the lights coming on and the engine going into "limp home mode".

Keep your hope alive! You WILL catch and banish the electrical gremlins that are plaguing you!

Top Bottom