AEV 5.7L radiator

desertrunner

Well I think it's finally time to call it dead. I was hoping it was just some loose hoses but this thing seems to be bleading from the fins on both sides.

Anyone have any recommendations on a 5.7 hemi radiator and tips / tricks to get it done?

On AEVs site it says theirs is $1200 and out of stock. Haven't called them yet to see what info they have for me. 20210210_105451.jpg 20210210_105752.jpg 20210210_105734.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well I think it's finally time to call it dead. I was hoping it was just some loose hoses but this thing seems to be bleading from the fins on both sides.

Anyone have any recommendations on a 5.7 hemi radiator and tips / tricks to get it done?

On AEVs site it says theirs is $1200 and out of stock. Haven't called them yet to see what info they have for me. View attachment 359336 View attachment 359337 View attachment 359338

You could also give the guys at Dixie 4 wheel drive in St.George Utah a call. They do a ton of Hemi swaps

desertrunner

Well talked to AEV, they do have some in stock but they are $1200 and even the guy i was talking to gave me 3 different companies that make basically they same one. So i ended up buying a Mishimoto, it was on sale for $750 and watching some videos it doesnt look all that hard to replace (other than making a mess). so time to start pulling everything out while i wait for the new one to show up....

Any tips on making less of a blood back in my garage?

Well talked to AEV, they do have some in stock but they are $1200 and even the guy i was talking to gave me 3 different companies that make basically they same one. So i ended up buying a Mishimoto, it was on sale for $750 and watching some videos it doesnt look all that hard to replace (other than making a mess). so time to start pulling everything out while i wait for the new one to show up....

Any tips on making less of a blood back in my garage?

Cardboard. It’s a big flat sponge you can lay on for the stuff that misses your catch bucket. Drive around back of some medium sized stores they’ll have a cardboard dumpster. Grab some big ass boxes. Large retailers bale their cardboard so skip them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

A.J.

Late to see this thread. I run a Northern radiator in mine. C&R makes a very nice one also. It’s a pretty easy install. The biggest PITA is the lower radiator hose. If you have fender liners take the passenger one out so you can get at it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

My son had a Mishimoto in his TJ and used their silicone hoses and it F’ing leaked till the day he sold it. He had a leak on his first radiator and all they needed was a picture and sent him a brand new one, did not have to send the bad one back

Ddays

Hooked
My son had a Mishimoto in his TJ and used their silicone hoses and it F’ing leaked till the day he sold it. He had a leak on his first radiator and all they needed was a picture and sent him a brand new one, did not have to send the bad one back

I’ve not heard or read many good things about the Mishimoto Rads.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Hummmm bummer about mishimoto maybe I should cnx. The C&R was my second choice but was $350 more
I got the old one out today. It was as messy and annoying as I imagined but it's out now. 20210210_175841.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
My personal theory on why these damn rads leak so much in JK's is because of what we do to them. I can't prove it but I think the frames flex and twist so much that it causes the end pieces that are crimped to the core to separate. And it happens even worse in the aluminum rads because they're so stiff. :twocents:

desertrunner

My personal theory on why these damn rads leak so much in JK's is because of what we do to them. I can't prove it but I think the frames flex and twist so much that it causes the end pieces that are crimped to the core to separate. And it happens even worse in the aluminum rads because they're so stiff. :twocents:
Well I bought a jeep that lived 5 years in Hawaii then moved it to North Dakota in the winter... My money would be that's what happened haha

desertrunner

So northern and C&R, any other recommendations? I gotta call and see if I can cxn my mishimoto order tomorrow. Other reviews were pretty convincing not to put that in my jeep. Guess I should have looked longer than just at the price haha.
C&R came up a few times on the AEV forem so that's what I'm leaning towards.

Brute

Hooked
Man,I’m sorry you’re having coolant problems...If it’s any consolation, I’ve had to replace both radiators in the Brute & JK6...and to DDays point, I’m also convinced it’s due to flexing...

desertrunner

Man,I’m sorry you’re having coolant problems...If it’s any consolation, I’ve had to replace both radiators in the Brute & JK6...and to DDays point, I’m also convinced it’s due to flexing...

Going through some of the AEV forum stuff it sounded like quite a few people had issues with their radiators in 2015. Overall just made a mess. Not the end of the world.

What brand did you end up going with for yours? I haven't ordered a new one yet

desertrunner

Ok well Mishimoto order canceled, and i just placed my order for a C&R. from what i can tell the dimensions, hose size, mount locations, etc.. seem to be the exact same as what i just pulled out. so in theory it should just bolt right in and i dont need to re do the hoses or modify anything for the fan. thats the hope anyways. :beer:

Bierpower

Hooked
No hemi experience but Motech and overland performance both started putting a spring mount on the top of the radiator to allow for flex. What they were finding was that the JK frame was flexing too much and cracking the aluminum but in order to get a plastic end radiator Robbie was saying they had to order a minimum of like 2500 radiators and that wasn't reasonable for them.

The spring mount consisted of the factory upper grommet with a washer then the spring about and inch long and another washer with an extended bolt. The idea is the spring would allow the one corner to pull away from the frame preventing the radiator from flexing far enough to pull the tubes out of the tank end.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom