37s on a Turbo JL NON-Rubicon

WJCO

Meme King
Any of you guys running 37s on a 2.0 Turbo JL on a Sport or Sahara? I'm curious about power with the 4 cyl pushing the big tires.

Right now we're on 35s and it's got plenty of power but new tires will be needed in the future and if we go 37s, it will require a lift, tire carrier, etc. Just wanted some feedback if it's worth all the hassle if the power will suffer enough to not be worth it. I don't plan on re-gearing at this time.

Dale72

Hooked
Any of you guys running 37s on a 2.0 Turbo JL on a Sport or Sahara? I'm curious about power with the 4 cyl pushing the big tires.

Right now we're on 35s and it's got plenty of power but new tires will be needed in the future and if we go 37s, it will require a lift, tire carrier, etc. Just wanted some feedback if it's worth all the hassle if the power will suffer enough to not be worth it. I don't plan on re-gearing at this time.
Mel's gray one with the bumpers and rock sliders that he had painted red was a sport with the 2.0 turbo. But he did put Dana 60's under it

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wish I could say I have experience with 37’s but like you I have only driven one with 35’s. Tons of power as you know so I’m sure it will be fine on the larger tire. Even a small regear later down the road will prob be needed for highway but even then I don’t think you will need it

WJCO

Meme King
Any company dropped a tune for it yet? Bump the psi up a few and you wont notice any tire difference.

I don't want to do that while it's under warranty. Plus with this new engine design, I don't know what it can handle. There's a few manufacturers out there right now having a lot of broken pistons on their turbo 4 cylinders even stock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As mentioned, Mel was running them on his rig. So long as you regear, I think you'll be fine.

jamesish

A little off topic from what you posted but why start a new thread...

What inch lift do you have right now?
Did you recalibrate the speedometer after installing lift/bigger tires?
You're running 3.45 gears right now?

I would say you have no choice but to regear. Also, check that warranty. I think the Mopar warranty max is 37 inches but just make sure. But if you go bigger and don't regear they may have a problem with that. I don't know if you would need 4.10 but at least 3.73.

Edit: Also, what offset do you have on your wheels?

WJCO

Meme King
A little off topic from what you posted but why start a new thread...

What inch lift do you have right now?
Did you recalibrate the speedometer after installing lift/bigger tires?
You're running 3.45 gears right now?

I would say you have no choice but to regear. Also, check that warranty. I think the Mopar warranty max is 37 inches but just make sure. But if you go bigger and don't regear they may have a problem with that. I don't know if you would need 4.10 but at least 3.73.

Edit: Also, what offset do you have on your wheels?

No lift. Speedometer has been recalibrated with a tazer. Wheels are either 4.5 or 4.75 backspacing; can't remember. It's a stock Sport so I'm assuming that it's got 3.45 gears.

JYough

My moms jeep which is a 2.0 turbo rubicon though. we lifted and put 37s on but it will spank my 3.6 jk any day that thing is a beast with power. Not re-geared either.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Bumping this thread again. Time for tires soon. Any one running 37s on their 2.0 sport or Sahara? Ok with stock gears?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bumping this thread again. Time for tires soon. Any one running 37s on their 2.0 sport or Sahara? Ok with stock gears?
With the automatic, I bet it'd work okay but re-gearing would make a big difference in power.

Are you running 35s or 37s? You have a Rubicon though, correct?
I have a 2-door Rubicon with 35s (Ridge Grapplers). It still accelerates ok and does well for highway driving in the mountains. Fuel economy is similar to before and is primarily dictated by which way the wind is blowing. The main thing I notice is that the brakes don't work as well.

Regardless, 4.56 gears would make it more satisfying and put more pep in it's step.

Top Bottom