Anybody ran Hole in the Rock trail by Lake Powell?

Colorado4x4

Has anyone ran this trail? My buddy wants to go run it and I am starting to gather info. The history certainly looks cool but there’s not much info out there. It’s not in Charles Wells book. There’s some videos online that look cool but I wanted to see if anyone here has ran it and what you thought? Did you camp 1 or 2 nights? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

NickWatkins

I ran this trail last September. We ended up camping the first night on top of grey mesa and another night towards the return of the trailhead. This is a must do trail and absolutely a trip of a lifetime.

Colorado4x4

I ran this trail last September. We ended up camping the first night on top of grey mesa and another night towards the return of the trailhead. This is a must do trail and absolutely a trip of a lifetime.

Thanks Nick! We ended up skipping it because of the bad snowstorm we got in Denver that weekend. My two buddies from New Mexico did run it and they said it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

mituk

I am planning to run Hole-In-The-Rock at the beginning of June.

Starting from Escalante. Do some hikes to slot canyons.
Run to the end and return via Croton Road, with camping on Alstrom Point.

What's your timing?

DaJudge

You can camp one night and do it, but two makes it a lot nicer. Drive in, setup camp, next day go to the end and then return to your camp site. Gives you time to hike and enjoy it.
And make sure you are talking about the correct trail/road.
Hole in the Rock Road is on the west side of the river (Escalante side)
Hole in the Rock Trail is on the east side.
Most of HITR Road is just that, a road.
HITR Trail involves actually wheeling.

Colorado4x4

You can camp one night and do it, but two makes it a lot nicer. Drive in, setup camp, next day go to the end and then return to your camp site. Gives you time to hike and enjoy it.
And make sure you are talking about the correct trail/road.
Hole in the Rock Road is on the west side of the river (Escalante side)
Hole in the Rock Trail is on the east side.
Most of HITR Road is just that, a road.
HITR Trail involves actually wheeling.
Thanks for that!! So my buddies already ran it a month ago. We skipped out because we got a big snowstorm and didn’t want to battle the roads there. They ended up spending 2 nights on the trail. They planned on 1 night but they said 2 or 3 nights would be perfect. There’s not much info out there and I kept finding the HITR road, not the trail. I’ve got it mapped out now!

Top Bottom