All dash lights on, intermittently refusing to start, acting erratic suddenly

m4ck

Hello everyone,

I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon (manual) that has 130,000 miles on it. On Friday I was on my way to work and suddenly the check engine and ESP light came on. A few seconds later everything started "twitching" and going crazy. I lost my RPM, temperature, and speed gauges. Gas gauge works. Sometimes when I go to start it, it'll have a 5-second delay. Sometimes it'll start right away. Sometimes it'll take 30 seconds to start (holding the key). Sometimes the security system will let it run for 5 seconds and shut it off. A few times the key in the ignition chime came on without a key in it. The engine fan runs 100% which I assume means it isn't getting temperatures. ODB scan says there is no connection. Keyless lock/unlock no longer works.

No odd engine issues, everything was fine up until everything went crazy. As of right now, it won't even try to start (it's like starting it without pressing the clutch, everything comes on, nothing). My battery is less than 2 months old and I verified it is healthy. The ground/positive is not loose.

When I finally got the scanner to work, I got the following codes out of it:
U0168
U0151
U0121
U0100
U0001

For starters, there were more - all the same kind "Lost communication with (some subsystem)"

https://youtu.be/e_Dd7Kelxjo
https://youtu.be/2-hluP6JGm4
https://youtu.be/uAAPY_fvL7c

What else can I check? My mechanic is taking a look tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, it's something stupid. Could my TIPM be failing?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

jeeeep

Hooked
I would start with checking the battery for loose connections, corroded ground straps, other broken or mouse chewed wiring.

could be many things and if it's not found with checking the wiring, I'd take it to a mechanic you trust to test the more expensive items:

Steering clock spring or steering multifunction switch (turn signal or wiper controls) - though not expensive, I wouldn't through money at them as a guess

TIPM or PCM

Last edited:

m4ck

The first thing I did was check the ground connections, it's not that or the battery.

I ordered a new TIPM because all symptoms point to the TIPM failing.

jkwaterdog

The first thing I did was check the ground connections, it's not that or the battery.

I ordered a new TIPM because all symptoms point to the TIPM failing.

Could also be the gauge cluster or some other module connected to the internal CAN Bus sending a bad signal. Ive been dealing with electrical gremlins. Just replaced my TIPM ( maks). Didn’t solve the problem. Good luck. Let us know if and when you solve it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

m4ck

Could also be the gauge cluster or some other module connected to the internal CAN Bus sending a bad signal. Ive been dealing with electrical gremlins. Just replaced my TIPM ( maks). Didn’t solve the problem. Good luck. Let us know if and when you solve it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I hope it's the TIPM, I literally have a new jeep on order that is scheduled to be delivered in early March.

Top Bottom