Best half door and soft upper option?

Gecko13

I’m looking to buy a set of half doors with full upper soft enclosures for summer wheeling. I will probably keep the factory one doors for the winter. I’ve looked at genright rugged ridge savvy and just saw the new bestop core doors. What is the best option for wheeling visibility, noise control and look? I will be painting them to match factory paint. Oem and bestop might me out due to cost unless I’m not seeing why they are worth nearly double? Please let me know, thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing beats OEM other than price. A lot of the metal doors look great from the outside and even in terms of their latches being level to each other but the inside of most look very unfinished. The other problem is the lack of uppers on a lot of them. I'm running Rugged Ridge doors and while they may not look at clean from the outside due to the latches being uneven, I do love that they look factory inside and out, are light weight, can be bought with soft uppers and are very light weight.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. Have you seen the best top core doors? Look pretty nice but similar in price to oem.

Yeah, they're cool if you're into all the extra detail but as you've noted, they're similar in price to OEM and that being the case, I would MUCH rather run OEM.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I bought a set of Core Doors and Bestop's uppers around this time last year. I used them a few days and never put them back on. Sold them a month later when I realized they just aren't what I wanted.

The doors are well made and I think they did a great job overall. I enjoyed having half doors. However, not as much as not having doors at all and the locks are more of a bother than they are useful to detour someone from taking them. having to go around to each door and lock/unlock got old really quick. And I feel like they should have used a better lock that the key nicely slides in and out without issue and smoothly locks and unlocks. These don't, and while it's nice my order of Front&Rear doors came with all locks keyed alike... There's only a handful of different keys for them.

The Bestop uppers were really nice. When I get around to buying some MOPAR half doors, I will definitely be getting a set of them again.

IMG_5617.jpg
IMG_5618.jpg

Last edited:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
As Eddie mentioned, the metal doors look awesome from the outside but they don’t seal around the edges and the upper options and fitment are a joke. I would love to have a set of OEM, but I’d cringe taking them on a rock trail.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RyanHanley

I’ve had bestop soft trail half doors. I’ve had rugged ridge half doors. They work well but I was never happy with them. The fitment of the rugged ridge is alright. Never purchased the uppers but having to add velcro to keep the uppers closed I didn’t like. So I went OEM and I haven’t had any issues at all. Biggest downfall of OEM is finding them since everybody wants a arm and a leg for them.
IMG_3609.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked
If you want OEM prepare yourself for a long wait. National backorder right now. Still waiting for mine since October.. I would choose 1st OEM then Rugged Ridge second. Core Doors you may as well go OEM.

wjtstudios

Hooked
OEM is the only way to go. The seal up as well as full doors and other than being loud on the highway when sealed up, they work great.

IMG_3683.jpg

I’ve done numerous water crossings with water onto the doors and they have yet to leak. The non OEM doors would have.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Gecko13

Thanks for all the replies. I saw a local guy selling a set of oem half doors in good shape besides a ding on the drivers side. I would have to paint them as well. What are they worth? Also would the factory auto locks still work from the key fobs?

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Thanks for all the replies. I saw a local guy selling a set of oem half doors in good shape besides a ding on the drivers side. I would have to paint them as well. What are they worth? Also would the factory auto locks still work from the key fobs?

Most likely you are going to have them paint even new. At this point whatever he is asking. Yes if they are equipped with the power latch assuming you have power now.

OEM is the only way to go. The seal up as well as full doors and other than being loud on the highway when sealed up, they work great.

View attachment 359684

I’ve done numerous water crossings with water onto the doors and they have yet to leak. The non OEM doors would have.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I’m not even in the market for these but I was hoping this thread would contain some quality half door shots. Man those look nice[emoji106]

fiend

Caught the Bug
I agonized over this for a couple of years. Had some bestop elements doors for a while. Looked at rugged ridge and came close to picking up a set. Finally decided I wanted OE doors and wouldn’t be happy with something else. I found a used set locally. They came with power locks, uppers, and storage bags. Had to get them painted and I recently rekeyed them myself. Definitely expensive; $4k all in. But I have no regrets at all. Here in SoCal I can pretty much run them year round. IMG_0363.jpg IMG_4707.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jeffj

Caught the Bug
IMG_3972.jpg

I love my half doors. Living in the east with all the rain fall, I needed something that would seal most of the rain out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom