Willys-Overland JT Build

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Well, the time has come for another build. It seems that I’ve been turning over jeeps faster than I’d like to recently.

The predecessors were:

2000-2009| 1993 YJ Sport
2007-2014 | 2007 JKU Sahara
2014-2019 | 2015 JKU Willys Edition
2019-2021 | 2017 JK Hard Rock Edition

I always had said that if I won the powerball, I’d buy an AEV Brute Double Cab. Unfortunately, that never panned out but Jeep came through by making a slightly more affordable option. I still didn’t want to spend $40k so that limited what was in my price range.

With that being said, here is my latest Jeep.

2021 Gladiator Willys Edition

IMG_3271.JPG

Only options on the sticker are auto and cold weather group.

Now comes the painstaking decisions of how to utilize a modest build budget on such a clearance challenged platform.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Congrats! Great looking JT! Small lift and 37s to start? I agree, you need to get it as high as possible to gain clearance.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
Looks good. Would look even better on 40s. [emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
Oooooohhwee! Nice truck and shocker, a Willy's to boot! Yeah, you're gonna have to jump to at least 37's.
I also see a nice bed rack for the kayaks in the future. Maybe even a RTT.....

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Congrats! Great looking JT! Small lift and 37s to start? I agree, you need to get it as high as possible to gain clearance.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That’s part of the tough decisions. I have some low mileage 35s on beadlocks in my garage so I’m trying to decide:

1. Am I ambitious enough to break them down to jump up a size.

2. Is it worth the ~$1000 budget hit to move up.

I know the right answer is 37s but..
[emoji848]

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Oooooohhwee! Nice truck and shocker, a Willy's to boot! Yeah, you're gonna have to jump to at least 37's.
I also see a nice bed rack for the kayaks in the future. Maybe even a RTT.....

Thanks. Yeah I was looking at options for racks that would come off quick for transporting my kayak. Damn thing is too big.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks. I think I saw you’re running 35s. Did you add a lift or leveling kit?

I am running 35s. I ran 35s for 7 months on stock suspension. I do have the Max Tow version, so I'm not sure if anything differs in regards to the springs vs the overland model. I took it off road a few times on very very light stuff and did not disconnect and still had no rubbing at all. In September of 2020, I installed the Rancho leveling kit and gained exactly 2.25 inches in the front (stock front bumper, no winch). I think it's a perfect look.

CalSgt

Hooked
That's definitely a great looking rig...

I swore I would never buy another black vehicle, they look fantastic but keeping them looking good is too much work for me

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s part of the tough decisions. I have some low mileage 35s on beadlocks in my garage so I’m trying to decide:

1. Am I ambitious enough to break them down to jump up a size.

2. Is it worth the ~$1000 budget hit to move up.

I know the right answer is 37s but..
[emoji848]

I’d be worried you’d regret the 35s the first time you hit the trail and have wasted time and money. If you intend on wheeling it here on the eastern half of the US, you’re going to need 37s to clear.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom