Should I get a JL or JT

Dale72

Hooked
OK guys since I have a JLUR with the 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo and having to run high octane gas, and since gas prices are going up I'm really considering trading it in. Now should I get another JLUR or a Gladiator. Since I have gotten a lot of things for my JL that I haven't installed yet I'm thinking of another JLUR. What are everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, if it were me and I could only choose one, I would get a Gladiator. I really like them so much more. :yup:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That’s a tough call and not necessarily an apple to apples comparison. For me, I was ready to have the additional room and functionality that the JT provides. Plus, I’ve had and built 3 JKUR’s so I kinda wanted a different canvas.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

IMHO, a JL is a much better option. I may be biased because I'm a hardcore Wrangler guy, but here's my :twocents:

A JT's wheelbase is just too damn long, and one on 37s is equivalent to a JLU on 35s. If I got a JT I'd have to get coilovers, 60s front and rear, and 40s at least to make it as capable as my Wranglers or others'. It's totally your call obviously, but even though I think it looks badass, a Wangler is just a better wheeler and gets better MPG. (If you care about that lol) It all depends on how much you wheel for me, as I look at the JT as too long for the kind of wheeling I do. A JT is still very capable, stock, 35s, 37s, or even 40s, but not AS capable as a Wrangler with any of those setups.

Plus, all of my friends are trading their Wranglers for JTs - and I'm becoming a lone wheeler with my ultra rare :)cheesy:) 2 door JK.

WJCO

Meme King
OK guys since I have a JLUR with the 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo and having to run high octane gas, and since gas prices are going up I'm really considering trading it in. Now should I get another JLUR or a Gladiator. Since I have gotten a lot of things for my JL that I haven't installed yet I'm thinking of another JLUR. What are everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks in advance

Depends on what you're using it for IMO. I love my Gladiator, but I don't use it for offroading at all. I use it more as a 'utility' vehicle for all kinds of stuff and it's still cool and fun though. If I were building a strictly offroad vehicle, I would go with a Wrangler. Obviously a Gladiator can be used offroad but I would still go with a Wrangler. Being that you already own a JL and you're questioning your next decision, might as well get the Gladiator for something new and exciting.

Also, some food for thought, our 2.0L JL on 35s gets around 17mpg whereas the JT on 35s gets 13. Of course the 13 is partly to blame because of how I drive it. But what's the fun in owning one if you aren't going to have fun driving it?

Last edited:
There has to be something else that is bothering you than just gas prices.

Sounds like a JT is in your future. [emoji106]

JKbrick

How much do you drive? If you take a bath trading it you would have to weigh how much gas that could have gotten you. May be cheaper to keeper

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dale72

Hooked
Depends on what you're using it for IMO. I love my Gladiator, but I don't use it for offroading at all. I use it more as a 'utility' vehicle for all kinds of stuff and it's still cool and fun though. If I were building a strictly offroad vehicle, I would go with a Wrangler. Obviously a Gladiator can be used offroad but I would still go with a Wrangler. Being that you already own a JL and you're questioning your next decision, might as well get the Gladiator for something new and exciting.

Also, some food for thought, our 2.0L JL on 35s gets around 17mpg whereas the JT on 35s gets 13. Of course the 13 is partly to blame because of how I drive it. But what's the fun in owning one if you aren't going to have fun driving it?
Yeah I know that I won't be getting great mpg's with any of the JL's or JT's I just don't want to have to get premium gas all the time

Dale72

Hooked
That’s a tough call and not necessarily an apple to apples comparison. For me, I was ready to have the additional room and functionality that the JT provides. Plus, I’ve had and built 3 JKUR’s so I kinda wanted a different canvas.

Yeah that's one of my problems deciding. Right now it's just me and I really don't see anyone else in the picture anytime soon. So I don't know if I really need the room of the Wrangler.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Yeah that's one of my problems deciding. Right now it's just me and I really don't see anyone else in the picture anytime soon. So I don't know if I really need the room of the Wrangler.

I don't have any skin in the game but... Do you currently have a truck for utility purposes? If not and I was in your shoes I'd probably go with the JT.

If I did already have a truck (and no significant others/kids right now), I'd probably be looking at 2 door JLs.

Good luck with your decision!

Dale72

Hooked
No the jeep is the only vehicle I have
I don't have any skin in the game but... Do you currently have a truck for utility purposes? If not and I was in your shoes I'd probably go with the JT.

If I did already have a truck (and no significant others/kids right now), I'd probably be looking at 2 door JLs.

Good luck with your decision!

fiend

Caught the Bug
So if you take your 10,000 miles at 15 mpg, that’s 666 gallons. If premium is 50 cents more that’s only $333 extra for all those miles...

Right? I hear people justify buying certain cars because of “better mileage.” If you drive a couple of hundred thousand miles or more a year, 1 or 2 addition mpg adds up to real money. But for most people the math just doesn’t hold up.

J&k_Overland

With your back I’d get the JT. With its extra wheelbase it’ll ride a bit nicer. How much of your JL stuff would work on the JT? With the overland aspect the JT will hold more

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
IMHO, a JL is a much better option. I may be biased because I'm a hardcore Wrangler guy, but here's my :twocents:

A JT's wheelbase is just too damn long, and one on 37s is equivalent to a JLU on 35s. If I got a JT I'd have to get coilovers, 60s front and rear, and 40s at least to make it as capable as my Wranglers or others'. It's totally your call obviously, but even though I think it looks badass, a Wangler is just a better wheeler and gets better MPG. (If you care about that lol) It all depends on how much you wheel for me, as I look at the JT as too long for the kind of wheeling I do. A JT is still very capable, stock, 35s, 37s, or even 40s, but not AS capable as a Wrangler with any of those setups.

Plus, all of my friends are trading their Wranglers for JTs - and I'm becoming a lone wheeler with my ultra rare :)cheesy:) 2 door JK.

To make it as capable as your stock JK?

Top Bottom