Coolant color contemplation

desertrunner

So I'm finally home from my work trips and getting ready to drop the new radiator in my 2015. I'm familiar with the difference between the OAT and HOAT but the color that came out of my 2015 really has me scratching my head. Because I have a 12 and a 15 I have bottles of both on hand.

Left is the 5 year right is the 10 year and in the middle is the sample I pulled out of my 2015 AEV 5.7 swap. Sure as hell looks to me like it has 5 year in it.
I have played with the light from all angles and unless it looses the purple color over time being used I see no purple. Maybe a little pink tint but the 5 year has that same pink tint.

Any guesses on if the sample I pulled out of the 15 is actually the orange 5 year stuff or actually the purple 10 year stuff?

Ed if you are reading this maybe you can weigh in on what was in it? 20210307_192108.jpg 20210307_192114.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

It also doesn’t keep it’s pretty color over years and breakdown and could be dirty. Flush it completely with water and then refill with whatever you like.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

desertrunner

Welp the new radiator is all in and the engine parts all put back together. Rather than chance it at all I'm just gonna go get a flush kit tomorrow and flush the system and fill it with the 10 year stuff. Seems convenient to have both jeeps run the same but at the same time I'd rather just run what's supposed to be in a 2015 so there is less doubt.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get her up and running again and fingers crossed no leaks. It's a hell of a tight fit in there to be pulling it apart again.

desertrunner

So I thought I'd give AEV a call and see what they have to say about what's in it. And of course the part # they gave me of what should be in it is the 5 year.....
Which makes me even more worried about topping it off with 10 year. Even better for the fucking life of me I can't get to the heater core to do a full flush....
I'm on to plan C to just fill and dilute the whole system with distilled water through the radiator and fill it with the 5 year. At least that's what should have been in it and then both jeeps will be running the same stuff.
Don't really know what else to do at this point. Ugh...

Bierpower

Hooked
For the heater core I went down to lowes and got a garden hose end. You can unhook the heater core hose and run a garden hose straight through the heater core. The hardest thing is figuring which way the coolant goes so you can reverse flush it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

For the heater core I went down to lowes and got a garden hose end. You can unhook the heater core hose and run a garden hose straight through the heater core. The hardest thing is figuring which way the coolant goes so you can reverse flush it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
This jeep has a 5.7 hemi swap, Ive watched plenty of videos on how to do it the problem is it's so crammed in there I can't get to it. I can barely thouch the heater core hoses let alone get the clip off and the hose off.

I just ran it up to operating temp full of distilled water gonna let it cool off and see what comes out of the radiator

Brute

Hooked
I was trying to find my original email I had sent to AEV when I bought the Anvil...my question was in reference to the sticker on the radiator that says to service engine to 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7...when I asked AEV what coolant they put into the engine, the service mngr replied 10 year...and that's what I have used. There was a warranty issue with having the coolant recovery tank replaced when I was getting my safety check at the dealer. and they did put in coolant. I did inform them to put in 10 year...but who knows what really went in.

typo...not 2013...2012 Grand Cherokee 5.7

Last edited:

desertrunner

Do that twice and then fill, it’ll be fine.

Last radiator drain came out like the pic below so I'm gonna keep going for now until it's much clearer.
I was trying to find my original email I had sent to AEV when I bought the Anvil...my question was in reference to the sticker on the radiator that says to service engine to 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7...when I asked AEV what coolant they put into the engine, the service mngr replied 10 year...and that's what I have used. There was a warranty issue with having the coolant recovery tank replaced when I was getting my safety check at the dealer. and they did put in coolant. I did inform them to put in 10 year...but who knows what really went in.

typo...not 2013...2012 Grand Cherokee 5.7
When I called them they gave me a part number that matches the 50/50 mix of 5 year 100k. I don't think I added much of the 10 year stuff to really make a difference but who knows. If the damn Tstat or heater core wasn't so hard to get to I'd flush it the right way but for now I'm gonna stick with running distilled through it until clear. Not hard just time consuming. 20210308_223409.jpg

How are you emptying it? You should barely have any color in the first flush and second should be nearly perfect.

desertrunner

How are you emptying it? You should barely have any color in the first flush and second should be nearly perfect.

Yeah that's what I thought too.
From full I'm pulling the radiator drain plug popping the cap on the radiator let it drain. Gets about 1 gallon out. Then fill the radiator with distilled water letting as much bubbles come out as I can. Start it, it sucks some more in. Shut it off fill it a little more untill the bubbles stop. Again takes about 1 gallon. Cap the radiator and run it at idle until operating temp (about 200) I have been watching the temp climb then drop about twice to make sure it sits at op temp. Then shut it off and let it cool. Then it's back to draining the radiator.
That picture was 2 full rounds of that and total I have gone through about 4 gallons of distilled water.
If you have a better method I'm all ears because I too felt like it should be pretty clear by now.
I am also running the heater while letting it idle so it's going through the heater core too.

desertrunner

Next flush still came out with a lot of color.
Idk if the coolant capacity on the 5.7 is just that big but I have now run 5 gallons of distilled through it and this is still what came out. It's a little lighter than the previous but not much 20210309_113449.jpg

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Next flush still came out with a lot of color.
Idk if the coolant capacity on the 5.7 is just that big but I have now run 5 gallons of distilled through it and this is still what came out. It's a little lighter than the previous but not much View attachment 360211

Not sure how accurate this is, but a quick google search says that the initial fill coolant capacity is just under 4 gallons on a 5.7 hemi. I would think it would be a little clearer after flushing 5 gallons of distilled through there.

Not sure how accurate this is, but a quick google search says that the initial fill coolant capacity is just under 4 gallons on a 5.7 hemi. I would think it would be a little clearer after flushing 5 gallons of distilled through there.

Not when you do it a gallon at a time through the Nipple drain. If you’re just using the rad drain it’s gonna just slowly dilute. Pull some hoses and the block has a drain plug.

desertrunner

Not when you do it a gallon at a time through the Nipple drain. If you’re just using the rad drain it’s gonna just slowly dilute. Pull some hoses and the block has a drain plug.

I'm just sick of making a mess of coolant everywhere. The rad drain at least is easy to catch. Either way clear is going in and color is coming out so eventually it will be all water haha. I may try to pull the lower rad hose this time too to get more. I'm still driving it around and the temps are fine just diluting it when I can

desertrunner

Well from the 4 samples I have pulled out of the radiator today (left most recent) it does look like I'm finally getting somewhere.
Now the question is when do I start adding new concentrate in and it's gonna be a bitch to figure out if its 50/50 20210309_163526.jpg

Top Bottom