Eaton M90

conner

I have been looking to supercharge my JK for a while now, and I came across a dirt cheap used Eaton M90 off of a thunderbird supercoupe. I plan on purchasing it, as well as eventually installing it on my 3.8.

So, before anyone shoots me down immediately, I am able and willing to machine any adapter plates needed, but I am unsure of what extra steps I should take.

My question is, I know I will need to change my fuel injectors, but what else will need to be done for this swap to work.

I plan on getting quotes from local tuning shops unless anyone has a tune for this setup already.

I have not seen many m90s on JKs, but I figured because of this, I could be the test dummy for anyone else looking to affordably supercharge their JK as well.

Please leave me your thoughts and suggestions. If you plan on shitting on my idea however, I would prefer if you at least provide some real reasoning as to why this will not work, rather than telling me to go buy a ripp kit. If I wanted a ripp kit, I would buy a ripp kit. I just wanted to try something different.

Thanks guys, and I hope everyone’s having a good week🤙🏻

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I have been looking to supercharge my JK for a while now, and I came across a dirt cheap used Eaton M90 off of a thunderbird supercoupe. I plan on purchasing it, as well as eventually installing it on my 3.8.

So, before anyone shoots me down immediately, I am able and willing to machine any adapter plates needed, but I am unsure of what extra steps I should take.

My question is, I know I will need to change my fuel injectors, but what else will need to be done for this swap to work.

I plan on getting quotes from local tuning shops unless anyone has a tune for this setup already.

I have not seen many m90s on JKs, but I figured because of this, I could be the test dummy for anyone else looking to affordably supercharge their JK as well.

Please leave me your thoughts and suggestions. If you plan on shitting on my idea however, I would prefer if you at least provide some real reasoning as to why this will not work, rather than telling me to go buy a ripp kit. If I wanted a ripp kit, I would buy a ripp kit. I just wanted to try something different.

Well I know one thing, nobody will tell you to Ripp it.:) No knowledge of SCing the JK, but all the stories I've read it's not a great idea. Good luck.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No need to be a test dummy since you are probably the only sole on this earth that wants to do this. But last guy I told not to put a supercharger on was still butthurt five years later.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked

Holy smokes, this sounds like a monumentally terrible idea. I've read of people trying to do this type of swap and the supercharger doesn't. The motors actually lose power because of the total mismatch and the parasitic losses involved.
As for the RIPP - see Ovie's post above. :twocents:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Superchargers generate a lot of heat. Think about an intercooler.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

A.J.

So entertaining the idea.... are you planning to build your own manifold or are you hoping the intake ports are close enough for an adapter?
Personally I love forced induction. Especially turbochargers. That said I think you should look into this much further. It may be a much bigger undertaking than you think.

conner

So entertaining the idea.... are you planning to build your own manifold or are you hoping the intake ports are close enough for an adapter?
Personally I love forced induction. Especially turbochargers. That said I think you should look into this much further. It may be a much bigger undertaking than you think.

i plan saw a video of a guy using this supercharger on a newer gen honda pilot. he had a company make the adapter plate for him, and considering my dad is a machinist it should be fairly easy to do. worse comes to worse i’m out ~300 bucks which in my opinion will be worth whatever experience i gain during the project anyways.

WJCO

Meme King

I haven't done it on a jk but I've done it on other vehicles that weren't designed for forced air induction. Now with hindsight, the experience was slightly less enjoyable than driving through the state of kansas.

conner

I haven't done it on a jk but I've done it on other vehicles that weren't designed for forced air induction. Now with hindsight, the experience was slightly less enjoyable than driving through the state of kansas.

interesting. do you think it was worth the effort/cost?

A.J.

i plan saw a video of a guy using this supercharger on a newer gen honda pilot. he had a company make the adapter plate for him, and considering my dad is a machinist it should be fairly easy to do. worse comes to worse i’m out ~300 bucks which in my opinion will be worth whatever experience i gain during the project anyways.

Ok cool. Now fuel delivery, ignition and timing. So you will need a way to take away timing under boost. So it doesn’t detonate. I think the JK fuel pump is ok (feeds my Hemi just fine). You will need injectors big enough for the HP you want but quick enough to bring the duty cycle down so it will idle and not flood the crank case. There are ways to calculate all of this when you start shopping for them. You can add fuel pressure to help smaller injectors or run a second set of injectors under boost which is probably overkill. Plug heat range, gap, wires timing all very important with boosted applications. You going to tune it yourself or have it done? If you’re having it done I would definitely have a conversation with the tuner and see what they are familiar with and likes to use. HP tuners or CTS assuming you’re going to use the Jeep computer so everything else works. You will definitely learn a lot on the process. Good luck! [emoji106]

WJCO

Meme King
interesting. do you think it was worth the effort/cost?

If this is a daily driver or if you want it to be a daily driver, totally not worth it in the end unless it ends up working flawlessly.

If this is a second vehicle and you're ok with it sitting while you tinker and attempt to perfect it, and you have the money for whatever comes up, totally worth it for the experience and project fun.

If you never get it to work and ultimately return it to stock, waste of time and money.

Ddays

Hooked
that’s an example of someone putting a supercharger designed for a 3.8L v6 on a much larger v8. i don’t see your logic

Point is, even putting this on a V8 resulted in a power loss. The parasitic losses will be even more in a V6. Granted, there may have been some air flow restrictions, but I would think at worst there would have been a zero net gain instead of a pretty significant loss. Seems like a lot of work, but you seem determined. Good luck. Let us know how it works out. Just don't wait 5 years.

conner

Ok cool. Now fuel delivery, ignition and timing. So you will need a way to take away timing under boost. So it doesn’t detonate. I think the JK fuel pump is ok (feeds my Hemi just fine). You will need injectors big enough for the HP you want but quick enough to bring the duty cycle down so it will idle and not flood the crank case. There are ways to calculate all of this when you start shopping for them. You can add fuel pressure to help smaller injectors or run a second set of injectors under boost which is probably overkill. Plug heat range, gap, wires timing all very important with boosted applications. You going to tune it yourself or have it done? If you’re having it done I would definitely have a conversation with the tuner and see what they are familiar with and likes to use. HP tuners or CTS assuming you’re going to use the Jeep computer so everything else works. You will definitely learn a lot on the process. Good luck! [emoji106]

the plan is to pay a tuner. i would love to learn how to tune but not on my daily

conner

Point is, even putting this on a V8 resulted in a power loss. The parasitic losses will be even more in a V6. Granted, there may have been some air flow restrictions, but I would think at worst there would have been a zero net gain instead of a pretty significant loss. Seems like a lot of work, but you seem determined. Good luck. Let us know how it works out. Just don't wait 5 years.

if the plans stay the same i’ll be picking it up within a week and planning to install within a couple months. i’ll keep y’all updated. thanks everyone

Standalone management will be your friend, annnnnnd expensive. A turbo would be a more efficient and easier build. But since you've already made up your mind , as mentioned you'll want a intercooler, likely a FMU, Wideband and gauge, and a daily driver for when your quick project turns into a giant project.

Top Bottom