The closure of another 4X4 wheeling spot

Hammerman

I had the opportunity to wheel at Crawford Ranch Off Road Park. We found out today that they were forced to close. One of the few areas to wheel,race and just have some plain fun in the West Texas area. Here is the their post on their face book site.

Morris and Gerald wish to express a heartfelt Thank You to all the following people and organizations. The hundreds of four wheelers, atv’s, Utv’s that have come to the Crawford Ranch Off Road Park over the last year and helped us build a beautiful off road play area. To Chris Lietner and his partners in Baja Race Texas who instilled a dream of desert racing in the Panhandle. To their sponsors who collectively spent thousands of dollars promoting these desert races for Amarillo. The Cities of Amarillo and Dumas. To Emily of the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce, Tourism division, To the Route 66 sixth street board of directors, The Hotel and Motel industry, Amarillo Offroad, To Pioneer Natural Gas and Mr.Hatfield, Mr Paris, and Mr Ausbrooks for all their work and efforts at securing the gas feeds on the ranch. And all the rest of the various sponsors who backed having professional racing in the Amarillo area. All these people and more have helped with everything from moral support to physical labor to spending thousands in fuel in their own vehicles in building trails ,repairing fences, rounding up stray cattle after the flood, rebuilding water gaps, manufacturing and installing swing gates, installing signs all at no charge to the park or it’s owners or the lease holder. The Race Car drivers for bringing their cars, trophy trucks and buggies at their own expense to promote the races. Channel 10 TV for covering the events. Again we say Thank You.
Now for the other part of this letter. Effective immediately CRAWFORD RANCH OFF ROAD PARK is closed. This is due to one individual who even though it cost him nothing and he was not involved in any way in the development or operation of the park wants it closed and no wheeling, races or anything else there. What this has effectively done is destroy the dreams and hard work of hundreds of people and cost them thousands of dollars as well as the cities of Amarillo, Dumas and other towns in the Texas Panhandle hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue from the tens of thousands of race fans and race teams. No full hotels several times a year, no sixth street daylong parties, no shopping in our stores, or the restaurant’s, no thousands of dollars in fuel. No future of the Panhandle becoming the desert racing capital of the nation with the finest race facility around. All this was done by one person who put enormous pressure upon the owners of the Crawford Ranch. If he was driven by greed I could understand but he neither gains from or costs him anything whether the wheeling or races take place or not. For all of you he has hurt, we ask that you not hate him for what he has done., We ask that you pray for him, someone so full of hate for his fellow man that he deliberately wants to destroy the hopes and plans of so many others truly needs your payers. God Bless you and again Thank You all for your support. Gerald Owens and Morris Mullican

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I am always saddened to hear or read about closures be they private or public.:grayno: All the best to the principals, racers and enthusiasts who enjoyed the park. I hope you can do it again some place where you won't be harrassed.:yup:

jelliott076

....We ask that you pray for him, someone so full of hate for his fellow man that he deliberately wants to destroy the hopes and plans of so many others truly needs your payers. God Bless you and again Thank You all for your support. Gerald Owens and Morris Mullican

People that destroy others hopes and dreams may rate someones prayers, and I sincerely hope someone gives him one...

Sounds like someone needs a good ole blanket party or be taken out behind the woodshed.

..but this is more my style.. :synister: :2thumbsup:

BlackKnight

They do alot of deer hunting in Texas? Maybe someone should give this jackA$$ an Antlet Hat to go with his Asshat...

BlackKnight

The only thing I can think of that a single individual would have that kind of power is access rights. I bet that he owns the property closet to the road and people would have to "traverse" his property to gain access to the area. He could claim that the racing access is not consistant with the right of way access. Short of that he's sleeping with the govenor or something..

PS> Just gave it a web search and nothing in the news, nothing out there beyond the note above..

Any Texans know anything? Hammerman??

Last edited:

Rivertoys

From what I have seen of Western Texas, there is A LOT of open land and freedom loving people. Would be possible to move somewhere else? Perhaps if this story gets to the right land owner in Texas, they will open their land for it.... just a thought...

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
From what I have seen of Western Texas, there is A LOT of open land and freedom loving people. Would be possible to move somewhere else? Perhaps if this story gets to the right land owner in Texas, they will open their land for it.... just a thought...

Right on! It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings!!:yup:

Top Bottom