Which Warn winch to go with?

jkmohican

Hey everyone, first REAL thread here. I recently got a new front bumper and I'm now looking for a winch. I definitely want to go with Warn, and I noticed that they have many different types ( VR, ZEON, POWER PLANT). I'm pretty much just looking for a winch that won't fail me on the trail, yet isn't going to break the bank. I'm trying to keep the price on the lower end, but I don't want to "cheap" out either, and Synthetic vs Wire doesn't bother me. Is it safe to say that any Warn is reliable on the trail? The winch isn't for looks, so Its going to see real trail use!

Side note, I have an Unlimited, so I guess I'm looking at a 10,000? Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
Hey everyone, first REAL thread here. I recently got a new front bumper and I'm now looking for a winch. I definitely want to go with Warn, and I noticed that they have many different types ( VR, ZEON, POWER PLANT). I'm pretty much just looking for a winch that won't fail me on the trail, yet isn't going to break the bank. I'm trying to keep the price on the lower end, but I don't want to "cheap" out either, and Synthetic vs Wire doesn't bother me. Is it safe to say that any Warn is reliable on the trail? The winch isn't for looks, so Its going to see real trail use!

Side note, I have an Unlimited, so I guess I'm looking at a 10,000? Thanks for all the input!

Warn is the Granddaddy of winches. They aren't going to fail you. You question depends a lot on what kind of wheeling you are doing and how much you see yourself using it. If you're planning to be in the rocks all of the time then you want something that is pretty stout like a 9500 cti. However, if it is just as a backup and you don't plan on using it much, only in rare emergencies, then look at the lower models. With Warn, the more you pay the better and more usage the winch is designed for.

jkmohican

The wheeling I do is pretty much just a little of everything. I do rocks, mud, anything that's on the trail. But I try to avoid deep mud, so I don't need the strongest winch, and I don't do the biggest rocks, but I still need it to pull me out of the situations that will get me stuck, no "extreme" situations. And I've only been stuck once so far, so it may not be used a whole lot.

CerOf

XD9000i has worked great for me.

If you can swing a 10k winch, go for it!

Warn carries a higher price, but I've yet to hear anyone disappointed.

Quality and reasonable makes me recommend the xd9000i. It and a snatch block and your set. Wire rope is just fine. When it wears out you can then consider syn. I use the wire. When it wears out I'll probably consider syn.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Prime8

Got an essentially new PowerPlant HD on Craigslist for $1k. Keep your eyes peeled and ask sellers lots of questions. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck that way.

jkmohican

The power plant looks great, but it seems more than what I need. I was more along the lines of just a basic recovery winch that will get me home. Thanks for all the input. Do you think the VR10000 is pretty good, as you guys said, all Warns are reliable, in trying to get the easiest one I can? I'm not trying to cheap out, but It doesn't look like I need the awesomeness of some of the more expensive ones.

The power plant looks great, but it seems more than what I need. I was more along the lines of just a basic recovery winch that will get me home. Thanks for all the input. Do you think the VR10000 is pretty good, as you guys said, all Warns are reliable, in trying to get the easiest one I can? I'm not trying to cheap out, but It doesn't look like I need the awesomeness of some of the more expensive ones.

just a question... how is it more than what you need? do you lower your air when you wheel? are you looking for a recovery winch, just i case? if you answered yes to those questions, then it is exactly what you need. unless you already have onboard air and then it is too much. but unless you do..... warn makes the hp and the hd, basically 9500 and 12000 lbs respectively (i have been drinking so that might be backwards)... worth every penny!

andrew -

jkmohican

just a question... how is it more than what you need? do you lower your air when you wheel? are you looking for a recovery winch, just i case? if you answered yes to those questions, then it is exactly what you need. unless you already have onboard air and then it is too much. but unless you do..... warn makes the hp and the hd, basically 9500 and 12000 lbs respectively (i have been drinking so that might be backwards)... worth every penny!

andrew -

I do air down when I wheel and I already have an air compressor, so i think it may be wasteful to get the Powerplant. But I get your point, I just don't want or need a big expensive winch. Just a reliable recovery unit, which is why I'm looking at the cheaper Warns.

well u have a way to air up so that part is covered. so it makes sense to no spend the extra $500. the zeons are really nice as it the 9500cti. recovery and safety are something one doesnt want to go cheap. you need it to work when u "need it to work"...

andrew -

Last edited:

jkmohican

Thanks Andrew, I agree. I started looking into the M8000, I heard it has the same components as the RC (I may have that wrong) and is very trusted by all winch users. It seems it will never "take a break" when being used and using a wound motor (I think that's right) which is what I was told is good. Now I guess the question is will a M8000 be strong enough for a JKU since its only a 8000lb winch?

jkmohican

Yeah I'm getting a liking for the Zeons. My only issue is I know a guy who tried to mount one to the bumper I have and it didn't fit (the ZEON was too long) without some modifications.

Top Bottom