Using a winch.

Serg5000

First let me say, this is the first winch I have ever owned. It is a XRC8.

When I was using it to help some one out of a pinch yesterday. I pulled directly behind the vehicle in need. I was about 30 feet away. I just took
The hook and hooked on directly to the recover point. So all were in a strait line. The winch did a fantastic job. As you could imagine. At first it struggled getting the vehicle up out of the holes it had dug in the sand. But once it was on top of the sand it was a
Piece of cake.

Did I utilize the winch correctly?
Could I have been positioned better?
Should I have used a snatch block when winching in a strait line?
The last thing I want to do is ruin my winch for lack of know how. Any advice
Would be appreciated. Thanks fellas.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
for a straight pull without any hangups, what you did was fine. snatch blocks are great if you're in a position where you need to work in a significant angle and can't get into a good position to do a straight pull. or, if who your're trying to recover is really really stuck and you need more power, you can use it to double up your pulling effort. if you're still using wire rope, make sure to put a blanket or jacket over the line and, make sure everyone is clear of the area before winching.

Serg5000

wayoflife said:
for a straight pull without any hangups, what you did was fine. snatch blocks are great if you're in a position where you need to work in a significant angle and can't get into a good position to do a straight pull. or, if who your're trying to recover is really really stuck and you need more power, you can use it to double up your pulling effort. if you're still using wire rope, make sure to put a blanket or jacket over the line and, make sure everyone is clear of the area before winching.

Thanks Eddie. I am using cable. I did tell everyone to stay clear of the recovery area. I figured on using cable until it needed replacing.

Thanks for the tips on recovery. I just want to have a good understanding of what to do when I'm recovering or assisting in recovery.

Indefatigable

Be aware though, on those pulls where you do not have much cable out, that the winch has to work harder to do less. Max pulling power on the winch is 1st wrap on the drum. Less pulling power with each wrap, the power drops off pretty quick.

I tend to use a snatch block on those short pulls, even with a straight pull, just to get more cable out and reduce the load on the winch.

YMMV

Top Bottom