Tire Carrier spacer vs NEW Tire carrier for 35's???

Hey team! I just got my 35's put on my JKU and I've heard the stock tire carrier will break in a few months. So should I go brand new tire carrier or just get a spacer to fit the factory carrier?? Please advise....

RockyJk

I was running my 35 on the stock carrier with the Daystar bump stops but after a trip to the desert and a trip to the dunes my tailgate started making funky noises like something was loose or about to break so I just took it off and am saving for an aftermarket carrier

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Moochie ran a 35 on his stock carrier for 40,000 miles or so and didn't have any issues. And you have seen him in the videos for a couple years now.:thumb:

Moochie ran a 35 on his stock carrier for 40,000 miles or so and didn't have any issues. And you have seen him in the videos for a couple years now.:thumb:

Hmmmmm...that sounds promising. Especially since I won't be doing any major offloading until I upgrade my gearing.

flotto

personally I think it's luck of the draw. I'm running mine on the stock carrier but still saving for a real tire carrier. get it as tight as possible so it doesn't vibrate as much.

DanMojo82

Ran a 35 on mine for a few years and know a guy who is going on a full year with a 37" Toyo on his.

MrJ3sser

I ran 35's on my stock for a littler over a year and started to get some nasty rattling coming from the gate. I upgraded to a new bumper and carrier and the rattling has stopped completely.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Hey team! I just got my 35's put on my JKU and I've heard the stock tire carrier will break in a few months. So should I go brand new tire carrier or just get a spacer to fit the factory carrier?? Please advise....

Don't know how I missed this. Congrats I want to see some pictures!

FeltsYouUp

I'm nervous about trying to put a 35 on the stock carrier. I agree that it's just a roll of the dice, some people just have better luck than others. I'll buy the full size spare, but maybe just throw it in the back when I do some wheelin. I'll be lookin to do bumpers, tire carrier, and rock rails around the same time frame. It's gonna be expensive...:icon_crazy:

I'm nervous about trying to put a 35 on the stock carrier. I agree that it's just a roll of the dice, some people just have better luck than others. I'll buy the full size spare, but maybe just throw it in the back when I do some wheelin. I'll be lookin to do bumpers, tire carrier, and rock rails around the same time frame. It's gonna be expensive...:icon_crazy:

Not a bad idea. Perhaps I'll try removing it before any rough rides.

j.house013

From what I've seen, some tire/wheel combos just slightly hit the rear bumper. Those are the one that I've seen last without issues. I think if u can keep the tire from wiggling around at all then the issue won't compound into a break of the welds or warp in the sheet metal. I'm about to step up to 285 75 17 so I've been askin around town and online.

Toneman

I ran a 315/75/R17 on my stock tire carrier for about 6 months. Never had any problem with it other than noise. If you hit a bump on the road and consistently off road it made a lot of noise. I switched to the Smittybilt oversized tire carrier and havent had any problems since.

Devallee

Using the smittybilt oversized tire carrier as well and haven't had any issues yet with my 35s. I have it set on the 33" setting so the tire rests on the bumper to minimize any vibrating. Have to lift the tire manually a little bit when opening/closing the tailgate but its no biggy :thumb: however I do take it off and throw it in the trunk when wheeling just for GP

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What he said. The biggest factor in making it work is making sure that the sidewall of the spare is pushing firmly against the rubber isolators to prevent any jiggling. Some have been able to make the spare just sit on top of the factory rear bumper when the tail gate was closed and that helped a lot too. Ultimately, getting the spare off the tailgate is a good idea though as I have seen plenty of tail gates get smashed in from the spare catching on ledges or even the ground on steep climbs.

Atch

What he said. The biggest factor in making it work is making sure that the sidewall of the spare is pushing firmly against the rubber isolators to prevent any jiggling. Some have been able to make the spare just sit on top of the factory rear bumper when the tail gate was closed and that helped a lot too. Ultimately, getting the spare off the tailgate is a good idea though as I have seen plenty of tail gates get smashed in from the spare catching on ledges or even the ground on steep climbs.

What's funny is there is a new guy in our club that just put 35's on his jk. He installed a new rear bumper without a carrier so the tire doesn't rest on the bumper at all. I suggested adding longer tailgate bumpstops since he still has stock and he laughed at the suggestion. I can't wait to laugh when he destroys his tailgate!

Tabers

Good info on here.... when the 35's are put on I will just delete the factory tire carrier untill I get a new bumper w/ swing out....

Top Bottom