Tuffy Security JK Overhead CB Console Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

Having a good CB Radio in your Jeep JK Wrangler is not only a lot of fun, it's an important piece of equipment that a lot of clubs and organized trail events require you have. Unfortunately, one of the biggest reasons why so many are reluctant to install a good CB Radio is because most are pretty big and bluky and really, there are so few places if any, to install one and cleanly. This is especially true in 2011 and up JK's and, why we chose to get a Tuffy Security Overhead CB Console.

What you will need:
• 5/32", 1/8" Allen Wrench
• 5/16", 3/8" 7/16" Wrench
• 10mm Socket
• Torx T-25 Bit
• Ratchet
• Small Phillips Screwdriver
• Galvanized Hanger Strap
• Coax Cable

Here's a shot of showing everything you will get with the Tuffy Security Overhead CB Console.
main.php

Here's a shot of the Cobra 29 PLX CB Radio that I will be installing in the console.
main.php

1. Because there are so many different types of CB Radios out there, there really is no one solution to mounting it in the Tuff Security Console. Due to the shaped feature on the front of the Cobra 29 PLX, I decided to use the provided bracket and secure it directly onto the grill of the console as shown in this pic.
main.php

2. To help prevent the CB Radio from jiggling around, I used a piece of galvanized hanger strap to secure the back of the radio to the bottom of the Tuffy Security console as shown below. The Tuffy kit comes with a bolt and nut to secure the strap and a 3/8" wrench and 5/32" wrench will be needed to fasten them in place but, for the CB Radio, I had to find a screw that would work. Surprisingly, I found that a standard screw used to attach a CD/DVD ROM into a desktop computer worked just fine. A small phillips screwdriver is needed to fasten this screw.
main.php

3. The Tuffy Security console comes with openings on the side that will allow some CB Radios to have a mic cord pass through it. With the Cobra 29 PLX, this is not possible and so, I installed the provided plugs as shown here.
main.php

4. Plug in the power lead into the back of your CB Radio and secure one end of your antenna's coax cable onto the terminal as shown.
main.php

5. Install the plastic conduit provided with the Tuffy kit over the power lead and coax cable and route it on top of the CB radio and out the slot off to the side as shown below.
main.php

6. Slide on the top half of the Tuffy Security console and scure the back of it in place using the screws provided. You will need a 5/32" allen wrench for this job.
main.php

7. Secure the open end of the Tuffy Security console in place using the screws provided. Again, you will need a 5/32" allen wrench for this job.
main.php

8. Carefully install the slide assembly onto the top panel only part way so that you can start routing the plastic conduit as shown.
main.php

9. Affix the provided straps onto the conduit and located them over the hole where they will be attached to.
main.php

10. Secure the straps onto the conduit using some electrical tape. This is done to help prevent the conduit from moving around when sliding the console forward and back.
main.php

11. Using the screws and nuts provided, secure the conduit straps onto the slide assembly as shown. You will need a 3/8" wrench and 5/32" allen wrench for this job.
main.php

12. Secure the slide assembly onto the top pane using the knob screw provided with the kit.
main.php

13. If you have a soft top, you will want to unlatch the header from the windshield frame and open up the Sunrider section of it now. If you have a hard top, you will want to remove the Freedom Top panels.
main.php

14. Move your sun visors off to the side and then, grab the header trim and pull down on it firmly until it separates from the windshield. You can just let the trim hang in place - you do not need to remove it.
main.php

15. Using a Torx T-25 bit, remove the bolts securing the 2 footman loops on either end of your JK's windshield frame.
main.php

16. Slide the Tuffy windshield mounting bracket in between the trim as shown.
main.php

17. Reinstall the 2 footman loops over the Tuffy windshiled mounting bracket and secure them in place using the factory hardware. A Torx T-25 bit will be needed for this job.
main.php

18. Push firmly on the interior trim until the trim tabs snap back into the windshield.
main.php

19. Using a 10mm socket, remove the 2 bolts securing both ends of the sound bar to your JK's roll bar.
main.php

20. Using a 10mm socket, remove the 2 bolts securing the center portion of the sound bar to your JK's roll bar.
main.php

21. Carefully lower your sound bar and allow it to hang in place for now.
main.php

22. Install the Tuffy Security console onto the windshield mounting bracket using the bolts, washers and nuts provided. You will need a 7/16" wrench and 1/8" allen wrench for this job. An extra set of hands to help out is really handy here too.
main.php

23. Install the Tuffy clamp bracket on to the bottom of your JK's center roll bar and secure the top panel onto it using the bolts, washers and nuts provided with the kit. You will need a 7/16" wrench and socket for this job and again, an extra set of hands would really help out here.
main.php

main.php

And that's pretty much it, you're done and now have a CB Radio installed in your Jeep JK Wrangler. All you really need to do is find a good place to secure your mic when in use. When I took these pics, I had used a Gearkeeper retractable mic holder in this location but, I have since moved it to a location that was out of the way.
main.php

While the Tuffy Security Console does come with a locking door, I was not able to use it with the Cobra 29 PLX due to the face trim design on it. Other radios can be mounted further back so that the door can be closed and locked.
main.php

Here are a few more pics of what it looks like installed.
main.php

main.php

main.php

CACHE KRAWLER

That is a great write-up Eddie and one sexy CB if I might say. Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the CB set you back?

pastorwug

The Cobra 29 can also be mounted further back so that the door can closed securely by using a 90 degree antennae connector to the back of the radio. I did this and discovered that it works really well. CB radio shops almost always have the connectors and they are cheap, if not - look on line, that's where I found mine.

snopro

Banned
Maybe I missed the pics but how is it to get to your latches to remove the freedom panels or the soft top

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I missed the pics but how is it to get to your latches to remove the freedom panels or the soft top

the console slides on the top panel foward and back so that you can push it all the way forward while in use and then, back a bit when you want to remove the freedom panels. i set mine at a point where the console is far forward but back just enough for me to still access the freedom panel latch.

snopro

Banned
wayoflife said:
the console slides on the top panel foward and back so that you can push it all the way forward while in use and then, back a bit when you want to remove the freedom panels. i set mine at a point where the console is far forward but back just enough for me to still access the freedom panel latch.

Perfect I'm going to order mine this week!!

Have your guy's tuffy overheads rattled a lot? I haven't mounted my CB yet, but have the console installed and its annoying. A little pressure from my hand on the lowest portion gets rid of the rattle so I figured the cb mass would dampen it enough, but was wondering other's experiences...

Serg5000

It rattled a bit off road. I'm going to install some screws into the rails when I remove it to re install the new coax cable.

So mine is entirely installed now (with cb mounted) and still rattles. I cant believe for the money that this thing rattles...any thoughts? Bolts are tight, used foam around cb face so it didn't rattle on enclosure, thinking of filling sliding portion (where rattle comes from) with expanding foam...

OH9JK

I had one if these installed for about 1 year. I found that the wire loom rattled and buzzed. To fix it I went to my local hardware store and picked up a few rubber coated cable clamps.

Any rattling can be annoying but since this console is right at your head you hear every little noise.

Good luck!

DMFNJ24601

Having next to no knowledge of CBs, I was curious to know where & how the power cable for the CB was was tied in to so as to supply it power?

Last edited:

Serg5000

DMFNJ24601 said:
Having next to no knowledge of CBs, I was curious to know where & how the power cable for the CB was was tied in to so as to supply it power?

I ran power strait from the battery. It has an inline fuse so it's good to go. The ground, well just ground off any place you can. It's rather simple to hook power up. It's hiding all the wires and cable that take some time.

UP N OVER

I have that accessory sw pnl that fits between the visors,,,(the one you dont care for),,,,do you think that this tuffy overhead will clear the switches,,,?? otherwise I'll be stuck with getting the rockhard cage,to hang the CB unsecured,,,

UP N OVER

I ran power strait from the battery. It has an inline fuse so it's good to go. The ground, well just ground off any place you can. It's rather simple to hook power up. It's hiding all the wires and cable that take some time.

on the 2011 JK, be careful where you tie power into,,,its either the battery or the lighter,,,don't just tie in anywhere,,the canbus system won't like it,nor will you,,,

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have that accessory sw pnl that fits between the visors,,,(the one you dont care for),,,,do you think that this tuffy overhead will clear the switches,,,?? otherwise I'll be stuck with getting the rockhard cage,to hang the CB unsecured,,,

you mean an spod? no, i don't care for companies who sign up on forums pretending to be a regular joe just to pimp their products and then when they get caught red handed, LIE about it. of course, if you don't care about things like honesty and integrity, who am i to stand in your way :naw:

to answer your question, yes, the tuffy overhead console will clear it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
UP N OVER said:
otherwise I'll be stuck with getting the rockhard cage,to hang the CB unsecured,,,

LOL! Yeah, that would be horrible to have to have one of those cages.

Top Bottom