lca install

aaronstephen

This weekend I will be installing my metal cloak lca's and was wondering if I can do the install workout jacking up the Jeep?

Also, would you recommend just using a ratchet strap to move the axle forward to fit the lca's since they will be slightly longer than stock?

StrizzyChris

This weekend I will be installing my metal cloak lca's and was wondering if I can do the install workout jacking up the Jeep?

Also, would you recommend just using a ratchet strap to move the axle forward to fit the lca's since they will be slightly longer than stock?

ahh...we actually have a discussion going on, in another thread, about their products right now! Please post up info about the parts and their function. Mostly keep us posted about their joints and how well they perform, their durability, and what trails you are running them on/the stress you put them under! :thumb:

aaronstephen

ahh...we actually have a discussion going on, in another thread, about their products right now! Please post up info about the parts and their function. Mostly keep us posted about their joints and how well they perform, their durability, and what trails you are running them on/the stress you put them under! :thumb:

Will do. I'm going wheeling next weekend so I'll definitely put them to the test. I'm sure the real test will be longevity and we won't know that for a while.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1. place a floor jack under the pinion of your front axle - raise it up so that it's just holding it up.
2. starting on the driver side, remove control arm nut at the axle using a 21mm socket and wrench.
3. if the bolt does not slide out by hand with ease, slowly raise your jack just a bit until the bind is released. if you go too far, you will need to lower it back down. when you have it just right, the bolt will come out easily.
4. remove the control arm nut and bolt at the frame end using a 21mm socket and wrench.
5. leaving your jack exactly where it is, repeat steps 1-4 on the passenger side. again, raise and or lower your jack as needed to pull the bolt out from your axle mount.
6. set both your new adjustable control arms to 23" eye to eye.
7. loosely install your new driver side control arm onto the frame mount using the factory hardware
8. lower your jack as needed until you can align the mounting hole with that of your new lower control arm. secure it in place with the factory hardware.
9. repeat steps 7-8
10. tighten all your nuts and bolts to 125-130 ft. lbs. of torque.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! Being that you're so interested in them, how about you buy and install a set, get on the trails with me and find out for yourself. :yup:

StrizzyChris

LOL!! Being that you're so interested in them, how about you buy and install a set, get on the trails with me and find out for yourself. :yup:

I'm interested in any good information, good conversation, and constructive debates with good people about ANY and EVERY product on the market. :yup:

Besides, I like for others to test em out before I spend the money. I saved myself from a Teraflex carrier this way!

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm interested in any good information, good conversation, and constructive debates with good people about ANY and EVERY product on the market. :yup:

Besides, I like for others to test em out before I spend the money. I saved myself from a Teraflex carrier this way!

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

:cheesy: Fair enough :cool:

aaronstephen

1. place a floor jack under the pinion of your front axle - raise it up so that it's just holding it up.
2. starting on the driver side, remove control arm nut at the axle using a 21mm socket and wrench.
3. if the bolt does not slide out by hand with ease, slowly raise your jack just a bit until the bind is released. if you go too far, you will need to lower it back down. when you have it just right, the bolt will come out easily.
4. remove the control arm nut and bolt at the frame end using a 21mm socket and wrench.
5. leaving your jack exactly where it is, repeat steps 1-4 on the passenger side. again, raise and or lower your jack as needed to pull the bolt out from your axle mount.
7. loosely install your new driver side control arm onto the frame mount using the factory hardware
8. lower your jack as needed until you can align the mounting hole with that of your new lower control arm. secure it in place with the factory hardware.
9. repeat steps 7-8

Very helpful. Thank you. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I may have missed something but 23" eye to eye is for what amount of lift?

Approximately 3"-4" of lift. It's just a starting point and may need to be changed depending on where your caster sits at after the fact.

JKbrick

I've decided to go with JSpec for my suspension. Their mid range offering has replacement fixed length control arms with factory type bushings. All their kits are 2.5". Would replacement control arms be a waste of $?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've decided to go with JSpec for my suspension. Their mid range offering has replacement fixed length control arms with factory type bushings. All their kits are 2.5". Would replacement control arms be a waste of $?

At 2.5", you really don't need to replace your control arms and I wouldn't unless you are feeling the need to add more positive caster. Aside from that, your factory arms will be plenty good enough.

aaronstephen

9. repeat steps 7-8

So even to remove the stock lca's I don't need to jack the jeep up?

aaronstephen

9. repeat steps 7-8

Ok, so I really screwed up. I must've not done something right and now I can't get my control arms to reach the axle. I'm about an inch too short and the new arms are set right at 23 inches. Some how my axle shifted forward, what do I do now?!?

Top Bottom