Cb trouble

Holeshot

Banned
Yesterday I've been cleaning the gate of the jeep, and I removed my antenna to clean and repaint my bracket. When I removed the coax cable there was some corrosion in the threads so I cleaned it and put dielectric grease when I put it back on. Now, this morning my cb seem to catch almost nothing. Could dielectric grease could be the problem?

Holeshot

Banned
I will take a look at it during lunch.. Maybe I didn't pushed the lead completely, because theoricaly, the threads have no other purpose than screwing it up. Otherwise it could be my ground. I had to splice it with a crimp instead of welded like it was before. My wires were too short to weld it back together. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I've been cleaning the gate of the jeep, and I removed my antenna to clean and repaint my bracket. When I removed the coax cable there was some corrosion in the threads so I cleaned it and put dielectric grease when I put it back on. Now, this morning my cb seem to catch almost nothing. Could dielectric grease could be the problem?

Could be something got off when you re-assembled the mounting stud on the mount, could be grounding out there now. Did you make sure to install the nylon washer with the inner step dropping into the mounting hole?

Holeshot

Banned
Could be something got off when you re-assembled the mounting stud on the mount, could be grounding out there now. Did you make sure to install the nylon washer with the inner step dropping into the mounting hole?

Yep I did.

I took a quick drive to tim horton (kinda like dunkndonut) during the brake and encountered a truck. Called him over and seems to work fine. I was just freakin out cus no one answered this morning xD

Prime8

FYI, I talked to a local cb guy about tips and tricks for installing my cb this weekend. He said to make sure that the bottom surface of the antenna mount is free of paint, so there is a good metal to metal contact.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
FYI, I talked to a local cb guy about tips and tricks for installing my cb this weekend. He said to make sure that the bottom surface of the antenna mount is free of paint, so there is a good metal to metal contact.

This is true. A lot of stud mounts will have a spoked washer that goes on the bottom and it will help dig into paint and make contact with the metal.

Holeshot

Banned
Your ground wire would still have to connect to the bracket. That is where it might not get a good connection.

Yep I agree, depends on what type of antenna you have. Mine has a wire that needs to be plugued on the body.

Top Bottom