Takes some getting used to?

JK'AJUN

So I traded in my '11 GMC Sierra crew cab in on a '11 JKU Sport 4 door...

For those of you who's been through that kind of transition, did it take a little while to get used to it? I absolutely love the Jeep, but at the same time i'm missing my truck. In a way it seems like a down grade as far as features/comfort, and paying a whole lot more for it... But I knew that, and I also know how much fun it will be to have a Jeep.

I think my main problem with it is the soft top. Had a time getting all of the zippers to get back on track in some spots, and it doesn't sit well when folded back. Just gave us a lot of trouble. As far as that, is there a cheaper/quicker alternative?

Sorry for the rant :boohoo:... Just hoping someone says that eventually, ill never be able to live without one.

Holeshot

Banned
the first time you put on the soft top, it is normal to be much stiffer.

and for the rest, let time go. You will have the answer before fall show up :thumb:

SGTGunner

I went from a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins to my 09 Wrangler. It was a BIG change. My truck had all kinds of gizmos and gadgets, my feet didnt get hot, inside was quiet with no wind noise or flapping, a lot of space, ect ect ect. But I always wanted a Jeep so I made the trade anyways.

I'd say it took me a couple weeks to get 'use' to it. The first time I went off roading I was completely hooked on it.

I was never happy with how the stock soft top folded down either. There is a method to it that will make it lay down better but it's hard for me to describe. Basicaly the top should make a 'W' shape looking at it from the side when folded down. You can also get one of those top boots for a cleaner nicer look while it's down.

As for the zippers, get you some cleaner/lube for them. I got a bottle from the dealer for a few bucks. And be carefull not to force them too much, I destroyed one of mine by doing that.

But yea, you get use to it and start to almost embrase it's quircks. There are times I miss my truck, but have noticed nobody asks me to help them move anymore!!!

RockyJk

For those of you who's been through that kind of transition, did it take a little while to get used to it? I absolutely love the Jeep, but at the same time i'm missing my truck. In a way it seems like a down grade as far as features/comfort, and paying a whole lot more for it... But I knew that, and I also know how much fun it will be to have a Jeep.

I think my main problem with it is the soft top. Had a time getting all of the zippers to get back on track in some spots, and it doesn't sit well when folded back. Just gave us a lot of trouble. As far as that, is there a cheaper/quicker alternative

Go with no top :thumbup::D

DanMojo82

I traded in my F150 super crew for my JK and it was a big change at first. And I still miss my truck, but you won't see me trading in my Jeep anytime soon. And soft tops take a little getting used to, they're finicky creatures. A lot of people that have gotten the trektop NX seem to like it so you might think about going that route.

billybob990

I went from a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins to my 09 Wrangler. It was a BIG change. My truck had all kinds of gizmos and gadgets, my feet didnt get hot, inside was quiet with no wind noise or flapping, a lot of space, ect ect ect. But I always wanted a Jeep so I made the trade anyways.

I'd say it took me a couple weeks to get 'use' to it. The first time I went off roading I was completely hooked on it.

I was never happy with how the stock soft top folded down either. There is a method to it that will make it lay down better but it's hard for me to describe. Basicaly the top should make a 'W' shape looking at it from the side when folded down. You can also get one of those top boots for a cleaner nicer look while it's down.

As for the zippers, get you some cleaner/lube for them. I got a bottle from the dealer for a few bucks. And be carefull not to force them too much, I destroyed one of mine by doing that.

But yea, you get use to it and start to almost embrase it's quircks. There are times I miss my truck, but have noticed nobody asks me to help them move anymore!!!

Haha that's what happen to me I used to move people all the time, now their like, hey will you help me.....never mind.:thumbup::cool:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
For the top issue of it mine always kinda lays a little sloppy as well. My only help is to read over the instructions a bunch of times to make sure you get it down and sitting as Nicely as you can. Other than that practice practice practice

Sent from my iPhone somewhere over the rainbow

Dman

I think my main problem with it is the soft top. Had a time getting all of the zippers to get back on track in some spots, and it doesn't sit well when folded back. Just gave us a lot of trouble. As far as that, is there a cheaper/quicker alternative?

Sorry for the rant :boohoo:... Just hoping someone says that eventually, ill never be able to live without one.

I'm also a new Jeep owner......I'm still trying to get over the sticker shock as well because now all I want to do is buy stuff for the new Jeep and change it!!!! I'm sure the "growing pains" is something lots of peeps go through but I DO LOVE MY JEEP!!! Good luck :thumb:

SGTGunner

Yeah, I've had my eye on that top. There's just so much more I want done to the Jeep before buying a top.

I have one. If your top is in good working order I wouldnt recomend it. My stock top became junk so I got the Trektop NX as a replacement. After all is said and done, I'd rather have a stock soft top.

My suggestion, unless your top is real bad off, use your money elsewhere.

When I married my Princess she had a 1982 CJ5 which for a tall fat kid just didn't work. Fast forward 10 years. After driving a Dodge Ram quad cab 4x4 2500, with no payments, we purchased a used 2011 JK. Life has not been the same since. I have been bitten by the Jeep bug. Since February we have downsized by selling the BMW and Ultra Classic motorcycles. T be honest I really do not miss my truck or HD as much as I thought I would. As The motto for this forum states it is not just a Jeep but a WAYALIFE.

Cheers

Asgard

I purchased my first jeep, a 2011 JKU in November 2012. Traded in a Pontiac Grand Am and haven't looked back since. The JEEP bug bit me, hard, and I've been loving every second of it. The real beauty of ownership starts once you really start to make it your own and like someone else said that first time taking it off road and everything changes.

Regarding the soft top, I have both the soft and the hard and like both but really like the soft now that it's getting warmer out. It took me several weeks to realize I wasn't folding it down it right this video showed me what I was doing wrong and had a few good tips in the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRY3P-HNEOs

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
CJ's - JK's do take some getting used to. Compared to my first 49 CJ, my 2012 JK is a Mercedes by comparison. The JK is so much more capable off road, but it will be a disappointment if you bought it with comfort in mind. That's what I like about it, it has a little bit of a hard edge. Give it a chance and some time on the trail and it'll probably grow on you. My first CJ was loud as hell and rode harder than any truck, but I loved it. I sold it and regret it to this day. Check out the soft top on my ex-49 CJ. I installed it, and try as I might I couldn't get the wrinkle out over the driver side windshield. Nobody noticed. Good luck and I hope you become one with your JK.:yup: '48 CJ-3A.jpg

Last edited:

JK'AJUN

Well, I was laying in bed unable to sleep and thought id go for a ride. My top is still down so I threw on a jacket and beanie and headed out... Once I was driving and could see the stars, I fell in love. I think i'll be just fine :thumb:

JK'AJUN

CJ's - JK's do take some getting used to. Compared to my first 49 CJ, my 2012 JK is a Mercedes by comparison. The JK is so much more capable off road, but it will be a disappointment if you bought it with comfort in mind. That's what I like about it, it has a little bit of a hard edge. Give it a chance and some time on the trail and it'll probably grow on you. My first CJ was loud as hell and rode harder than any truck, but I loved it. I sold it and regret it to this day. Check out the soft top on my ex-49 CJ. I installed it, and try as I might I couldn't get the wrinkle out over the driver side windshield. Nobody noticed. Good luck and I hope you become one with your JK.:yup: View attachment 25669

Thats awesome!

silverbackjk

Well, I was laying in bed unable to sleep and thought id go for a ride. My top is still down so I threw on a jacket and beanie and headed out... Once I was driving and could see the stars, I fell in love. I think i'll be just fine :thumb:

I remember my first drive like that and I never looked back!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brankz

Oh brother the differences for me where so good from ma crappy Volvo to my jeep. I still can't believe I have it lol

Branks ...
WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom