Install on board airCHEAP

Elusive

For those that have never used a york compressor for on board air, it's very, very fast. you can run air tools straight off a york at idle.
Here is a brief install write up with prices.
1. I went to the junyyard on half price day and grabbed a york out of an old F-150. LOTS of vehicles from the late 70's and 80's have yorks. pop the hood and look. There are different CFM ratings of different yorks so do your homework and grab the one you want. If nothing else, they all work great. tech tip (a) cut the A/C lines as long as possible to get the heat of the compressor away from your maifold later.
tech tip (b) the york will have a connector a foot up on the wire. cut the wire and get both ends of the connector.
$20 with the lines
2. I pressure washed the york, chiseled off the junk yard crud and painted it.
3. Order a 6 groove pulley off ebay
$80 delivered
it now looks like this:
painted.JPG
The brackets I used were from
http://www.offroadonly.com/catalog.130318/product_info.php?products_id=265
these guys will also sell the belt and clutch but the clutch is cheaper on ebay.
$239
4. bolt it in. the directions with the kit are easy and there are only a few bolts. leave them all loose to make adjustments
brackets installed.JPG
5. order the manifold. I ordered one with a pop off valve, pressure guage, and pressure switch on ebay. i did ask the guy to swap the pressure switch from the 110-160 switch he usually uses to a 80-120 switch. Though I think the york could handle the 160 psi, I see no need for these kinds of pressures in my jeep
$93
6. I used the stock A/C line and put the manifold up near the master cylinder. originally I had it through the grill, but later the supercharger intercooler made me move it. Yes, I have to pop the hood to air up. Thats OK with me.
manifold.JPG
7. Last step! I simply ran a wire from power through a cheap toggle and put the switch in the plastic next to the manifold. Theres only 1 wire going to the york. You cant screw it up.
$4
grand total
$437
You don't need a tank with a york. I have reseated many tires by simply reving the engine a bit, but nothing stops you from installing a tank if you prefer.
the oil tank filler on the york is hard to get to when installed. I filled it when I installed it (I use gear oil so it doesnt get in the lines much). i have also filled the inlet tube with oil without it running and let the oil seep through the valves in the york to get oil into the tank. Folks freak out about yorks and oil, but here are a few thoughts. the York was $20. if it burns up I'll grab another one. Also, they start making a LOT of noise when they run out of oil... you'll know.
This took me a while to gather the parts, but only about 2 hours to install it all.

13JKUR

It's always good to see creative things like this. However, and I don't mean to sound rude what so ever, but can't you buy a good viair kit with all the adapters for less then that?

BlackKnight

It's always good to see creative things like this. However, and I don't mean to sound rude what so ever, but can't you buy a good viair kit with all the adapters for less then that?

I was going to mention the same. I could have sworn I saw a viair unit wit all the parts for $350 ish...

Granted, this looks pretty Heavy Duty in comparision to the Viair.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can get a compressor that will fill tires for around $200 with a mount (what I am using). But with that said it will take a while to fill a tank with that compressor. Spend a little more and yes, for around that price you can get a tank and compressor.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I have seen a York setup before. Its actually pretty impressive how fast he can air up 35's and 37's. I like that you can run air tools off the York as well. Im sure that shopping around a bit more, you could save some cash. $437 isnt bad for what you get in the end.

Paratroopers Stay Up Longer!

Last edited:

Elusive

The York 210 makes 7 cfm at 1000 rpm. This is more than 3 times the cfm of the biggest viair compressor. It inflates a queen air mattress in under a minute.

Rebel JK

Thats pretty impressive. Would love to see a video of it reseating a tire. To be able to do that on the trail would be pretty sweet.

silverbackjk

Was wondering what is the maintenance with this? So do you just fill oil every so often. Sounds like a really nice setup.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Xodius

Banned
I would like to see more pics on the belt pathway and does it always run? I know virtually nothing about these setups.

Elusive

Was wondering what is the maintenance with this? So do you just fill oil every so often. Sounds like a really nice setup.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Maintenance is minimal. I have been running yorks for years and I have never burned one up. honestly. it starts to make a lot of noise when it gets low on oil. thats a sure sign you should dump some in. This happens very rarely (less than once a year). Some folks complain about oil in the lines but i have found that if you oil the compressor when you dont plan to use it and do not overfill it I hardley get any oil in the lines at all.
the routing on my setup is pretty odd because I have a supercharger and the york but I'll try to get some decent pics of the belt routing.

pvanweelden

Great writeup.
i have a York, with a filter after 8 feet of hydraulic hose, and have not noticed any oil in the line. Hands down performance over Electric. You can use with or without a tank.
I fill up all 4 of my 36's at once in about 3 minutes from 8psi to 32.

kRay.JK

York setups are very popular with the 4.0L crowd. The hardest part is finding a way to keep it oiled.

I almost installed one in my old XJ but decided against it.

In my research I found this company: http://www.extremeoutback.com/
They are making some pretty beefy OBA units.

RodCyn

Oasis compressors are beefy, but quite pricy and large. I've only have seen one installed in the rear of a JK.

1yvx.jpg

http://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/...00-continuous-duty-air-compressors/item-1052?

Army_Vet

Banned
York setups are very popular with the 4.0L crowd. The hardest part is finding a way to keep it oiled.

I almost installed one in my old XJ but decided against it.

Is it not possible to tap into the engine oil system? for the OP, do York compressors need a particular oil, would engine oil work?

pvanweelden

Yorks are EASY to keep oiled. Just as easy as keeping oil in your motor. Fill it with 8oz of oil, run a return line from your filter, turn on the valve, any oil in the filter will return to the York.
You can even make a dipstick if you want, but if the York sounds loud while running, put some oil in it.

Top Bottom