My JKU Sport build

rakattack526

So, I'm about to throw some money down on my '12 JKU Sport finally. I figured I'd spend a little bit now and get a small lift and some 35" tires, before I start saving for the much more extensive stuff (EVO lift, front axle, etc.). Was looking at going with the Teraflex 2.5" lift and either Nitto Trail Grapplers or Mud Grapplers.

First question, with the 2.5" lift, will I be running into any problems with the front drive shaft? I mostly wheel in an ORV park in mid-Kansas, nothing too bad. My Jeep stock did pretty well until the tires got caked with mud. Which brings me to the tires... anyone have any experience with the two of them? I plan on climbing some of the hills in the park that I couldn't with the stock, and there is a pretty good mud pit, but not too bad. Any other suggestions are welcome. I got about $2k to spend now, so I'm keeping the stock wheels and picking up some spacers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
so long as you get the kit with shock extensions or, make sure to order the kit made for 2.5" of lift (short enough to prevent your drive shaft from making contact with the exhaust cross over), you should be fine. i'm pretty sure there's even a bilstein 5100 that will do the job too and, that would be what i would run over TF shock but unfortunately, i don't know what the part number is of that. hopefully someone else here will know.

regarding tires, i love the new trail grapplers and they are what we'll be running on our new 2012. however, i have no experience with them in the mud as we live out in socal. mostly rocks out here. however, i would think they'd do pretty well and will be a lot quiter on pavement than the mud grapplers. if noise is of no concern to you, the mud grapplers would most likley do better in the sticky stuff.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
hey ChrisB, if you're out there, would you happen to know if bilstein makes a shock that's about stock length for use on a 2012?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
hey ChrisB, if you're out there, would you happen to know if bilstein makes a shock that's about stock length for use on a 2012?

my ears are burning..

I don't believe they make a stock length in the 5100 series. They do have one in the 4600 series http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mmid=1447268/setting=4600 Series

Check with teraflex on the shock length, but these two might work. The fronts just short enough it should clear.

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber (click for more info)

Part Number: 24-146708
Setting: 5100 Series
Position: Front
Descriptor: Front Lifted Height: 1.5-3"; Must use wheel spacers or purchase aftermarket offset wheels
*Collapsed Length (IN): 14.98
*Extended Length (IN): 24.63
*Collapsed Length (MM): 380.6
*Extended Length (MM): 625.5
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-E670-H0

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber (click for more info)

Part Number: 24-146715
Setting: 5100 Series
Position: Rear
Descriptor: Must use wheel spacers or purchase aftermarket offset wheels; Rear Lifted Height: 2"
*Collapsed Length (IN): 15.39
*Extended Length (IN): 26.38
*Collapsed Length (MM): 390.8
*Extended Length (MM): 670
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-E671-H0

If it were my jeep, i would replace the front shaft ($485-$535) and run a 27.5" long shock. its the longest shock you can run and clear the factory exhaust crossover without modification.

Last edited:

rakattack526

Thanks for the input guys. Taking a look at the Bilstein 5100s that you showed, and they aren't much more than the TF kit with shocks. The drive shaft is certainly an upgrade in the future, just won't be able to do it soon. Thanks guys.

Top Bottom