The Extractor - A Snake Bite Kit that Works!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Over the years, I have heard conflicting opinions regarding snake bite kits with some saying they work and some saying they are useless and truth be told, I didn't know what to believe. Certainly, I had never seen or heard of an instance where someone actually used one to save their life or at least, until now.

Hunter saves own life after rattlesnake bit him
the-bite.jpg

Chad Cross was hunting for turkey in the woods in Alabama when a venomous pit viper rattlesnake bit him in the lower left leg. Nervous and scared, the Montgomery resident attempted to calm himself and slow his heart rate so as to prevent the quick spreading of the deadly venom throughout his body. He then made a move that saved his life. He pulled out his $10 snake-bite kit. WSFA has the incredible story:

“Best way I can describe it is someone taking a full swing with a baseball bat and hitting me in my calf,” Cross told WSFA.

“I knew I had to calm down and get my heart rate down because the faster my heart was pumping, I knew the faster than venom was going through my system.”

Cross opened his Bite & Sting venom extraction kit and read the directions. He’s carried it with him on hunting trips for years but never knew how to use it.

He stuck the tip of the extractor over the bite, pushed the plunger down and pulled it up, creating a suction that brought the venom with it. Then he went to get treatment. His on-camera demonstration shows how the skin is sucked up, and thus, the venom is sucked out.

snake-bit-kit-in-action.jpg

“That’s what pulled it all out and I think saved my life,” he told WSFA.

The doctor told him as much, saying without using the kit, he would have died before he ever made it to his truck.

snake-bit-kit-in-action.jpg

See the whole article and news reel here:
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/hunter-saves-own-life-after-rattlesnake-bite/#

Anyway, I just thought it would be a good idea to share this with all of you especially being that rattlesnake season is upon us. :cool:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ok, I'm buying one! I was not sure if I should get one or not as I hadn't heard of them working either but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one. :D

That first picture is crazy!!:eek:

JAGS

Hooked
Saw this this morning online. For ten bucks, not a bad thing to have in you toolbox. I may snag one with the hopes of never having to use it.

Pesonally I just avoid all snakes it is easier that way. If I am in the woods where pit vipers are I will wear snake boots.

Napalm90

Having been bitten by snakes twice, I should probably invest in this knowing the next bite will be from a venomous snake....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
Having been bitten by snakes twice, I should probably invest in this knowing the next bite will be from a venomous snake....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Note to self , when wheeling with Napalm do not follow him in the woods. :D

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Good to know. Gonna order up a couple. I'm hoping not to have any in the backyard of our new house. :shock::eek:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
hrm. ... I think I may just get one myself. Snakes scare the shit out of me.:eek:

Moochie

If a poisonous snake bites you in your backyard, call 911, stay calm and wait for help. Do not use an extractor.

Moochie

Is that your medical opinion doctor?

Yes, having been through this before and after reading up on it. Don't use an extractor unless you are in a very remote place and can't get to a hospital. Like the guy in the article. :)

Tackerdown

Banned
Yes, having been through this before and after reading up on it. Don't use an extractor unless you are in a very remote place and can't get to a hospital. Like the guy in the article. :)

That leads us to the question WHY :D

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

I believe it is similar to the tourniquet theory. Yes it does work, but it also does some damage. While you are "sucking" the venom back out of the puncture, I believe that it is this "sucking" that damages blood vessels and muscle. Dont get me wrong, it can/will save your life, so if you need to use one, use it! But if EMS is close, let them do it!!!

SDG

Caught the Bug
I refer to mine as a "snake bite repair kit"

I honestly don't see the harm that the suction with this device could be worse than doing nothing. I work in R&D for a medical device co that does blood based assays. While I am a Dr I am not that kind of a Dr (Md). However based on my understanding of physiology I would use this even in my back yard.

I think most of the dangers associated with snake bite repair kits is in regards to the old ones which used a razor blade and trusted the inflicted person to make an incision at the bite location to bleed out the venom. This led to people not knowing how deep to cut causing more damage and ultimately making things worse.

Top Bottom