EVO mfg rear bolton D-Ring mounts install help

mikefishes

I recently bought a set of the rear d-ring mounts that bolt in to the factory frame rails. The instructions indicate that you "may" trim the rails for a flush fit. Before I went that far I decided to test fit them without trimming. The tot of the EVO piece will not fit within the frame rails at all. I am a little hesitant to trim the rails for fear that I am doing something incorrectly.

The question is... Does anyone here know if the frames are a bit wider if you trim up, or is this a job for the BFH?

JK1

i took a BFH to the frame to get my one side to fit.. then cut and welded the frame back up... it will fit :thumb:

IMG-20130214-00079.jpg
IMG-20130214-00082.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
Two different issues I think. The frames are different from jeep to jeep. Sounds like you need to widen the frame a bit to get them to fit. A pry bar would probably do the trick. Some people have hammered them in, though I wouldn't recommend that.

Trimming them to length is more of an aesthetic thing as to whether you want them to fit flush with the end of the frame. :thumb:

mikefishes

Two different issues I think. The frames are different from jeep to jeep. Sounds like you need to widen the frame a bit to get them to fit. A pry bar would probably do the trick. Some people have hammered them in, though I wouldn't recommend that.

Trimming them to length is more of an aesthetic thing as to whether you want them to fit flush with the end of the frame. :thumb:

I was laughing as I typed that last post, I promise! :beer: I am gonna try the pry bar and see where that gets me first. Thanks for the input! When you painted the mounts and the frame did you use regular paint or some kind of bed liner or high-temp paint?

mikefishes

BTW I didn't realize the "knuckles" thread is yours. That's a fun one to read through. I've enjoyed watching the build, though I fear I was watching re-runs as I joined well after it was underway.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Mine were a pain in the arse! I beat the hell out of my frame to widen it so it would fit. Driver side went in with a few hits, passenger side took a beating and a half and still wouldn't go in. So I turned the hammer to the mounts and they finally went in. :D

mikefishes

Mine were a pain in the arse! I beat the hell out of my frame to widen it so it would fit. Driver side went in with a few hits, passenger side took a beating and a half and still wouldn't go in. So I turned the hammer to the mounts and they finally went in. :D

Did you trim the rails back or leave them at the "stock" length?

MTG

Caught the Bug
BTW I didn't realize the "knuckles" thread is yours. That's a fun one to read through. I've enjoyed watching the build, though I fear I was watching re-runs as I joined well after it was underway.

LOL! Feel free to join in at any time. It's kind of a free-for-all now. :crazyeyes:

As for paint. I generally use flat black spray paint that I grabbed at Home Depot or Lowes. I think it says something like high performance or some such nonesense on it. Cost a buck or two more than the other stuff. No reason other then that's what I had.

JK1

if you have the factory exhaust on you may want to grab a can of flat high temp paint and fix that shinny thin too...:yup:.. are you going to paint your pinch seam??

IMG-20130214-00080.jpg

mikefishes

LOL! Feel free to join in at any time. It's kind of a free-for-all now. :crazyeyes:

As for paint. I generally use flat black spray paint that I grabbed at Home Depot or Lowes. I think it says something like high performance or some such nonesense on it. Cost a buck or two more than the other stuff. No reason other then that's what I had.

Thanks! That works.

JK1

My plans is to paint the exhaust and the pinch seam just the same as in your photo. I think that is a nice clean look.
make sure you scuff the seam up good and in the little cracks i didnt and the paint seams to flak off in the body seams so i'm touching it up a few times a month and i am kinda a freak so the exhaust gets freshened up a few times a month to keep it looking nice.....good luck

mikefishes

make sure you scuff the seam up good and in the little cracks i didnt and the paint seams to flak off in the body seams so i'm touching it up a few times a month and i am kinda a freak so the exhaust gets freshened up a few times a month to keep it looking nice.....good luck

Good advice. Thanks!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
for my install I ended up grinding the dring mounts to fit the frame, both slide in perfectly now and look good to me. for the paint I used bedliner on the rear seams.

mikefishes

for my install I ended up grinding the dring mounts to fit the frame, both slide in perfectly now and look good to me. for the paint I used bedliner on the rear seams.

Good lord... Can someone just swap me a similar jeep that has the d-rings and we'll work the difference out in cash.? :grayno: I will say the frame clean up, pinch seam paint, and my newly painted muffler look awesome though! Thank God it's 5:00 somewhere 45 degrees East of me. :beer:

Top Bottom