Is Paying the Extra Money For a Rubicon Up Front Worth it?...

RubiConnor

I have been planning for many months on how and when to get my new JK and the question I keep asking myself is: Sport, Sahara or Rubicon? I was wondering what the benefit of purchasing a Rubicon is if I am going to tear it down with new suspension, axels, wheels, tires, etc...? I was curious is there is something special about the rubicon that doesn't need aftermarket changes that im not already familiar with, in comparison with the other types. I have always had the idea of just purchasing a low price Sport and beefing it up with what I need and want. If someone could give some advice on this topic or help me out that'd be great!

(I understand the Rubicon comes with better drive train and 4 wheel drive capabilities (and lockers?), but I just have always felt that the rubicon was for the driver that wants to just buy and run. Not Just Empty Every Pocket ;) )

Cheers,

RubiConnor

As stated by yourself, the 4:1 transfer case is "better" and the Dana 44 up front helps out with the bigger tires. I wish I had gotten a rubicon but then again, I don't want to replace my axles anytime soon... All depends how much you want to spend

Do you want power windows and locks? If I had to do over I think going with the sport is how I would go. Sure I can't go directly from the dealership to the Rubicon bit I can put what I want on my JKUS. JMHO

R/
Will

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Do you want power windows and locks? If I had to do over I think going with the sport is how I would go. Sure I can't go directly from the dealership to the Rubicon bit I can put what I want on my JKUS. JMHO

R/
Will

you can get a rubi without power windows and locks. i priced one out yesterday at my dealer without them.

OP- a rubi will be better to start off with (in my opinion) because of the 4:1 ratio transfer case, the higher gear ratio, and the D44 up front. also the lockers and electronic sway bar disco are good to have as well. The sport is every bit as capable tho. i have a sport and its great. if you plan on replacing the axle right away or shortly after for a ProRock 44 and a higher gear ratio i recommend the sport that way you save some money as it a 10,000$ difference

MTG

Caught the Bug
If you really are going to replace everything right away then you shouldn't even be asking the question. After replacing the axles and suspension, then really the only thing left would be the transfer case (assuming you don't put the e-lockers in your new axles) and the e-disco exluding the fit and finish interior stuff that you could probably add to a sport or Sahara.

However, if you are going to slowly replace things over time or as they break/wear out than the rubi might be worth it. You get lockers that should last a while (even with bigger tires) and axles that should hold up with 37s (new shafts are a lot cheaper than new axles).

There are plenty of people on here that have a sport, because they were going to do the same, who now wish they had bought a rubi to begin with. I think some have posted recently in the 3 things you wish you knew when you started thread.

You'll probably get many different opinions on the topic. The above is just mine. It will all depend on your budget and plans.

Good luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been planning for many months on how and when to get my new JK and the question I keep asking myself is: Sport, Sahara or Rubicon? I was wondering what the benefit of purchasing a Rubicon is if I am going to tear it down with new suspension, axels, wheels, tires, etc...? I was curious is there is something special about the rubicon that doesn't need aftermarket changes that im not already familiar with, in comparison with the other types. I have always had the idea of just purchasing a low price Sport and beefing it up with what I need and want. If someone could give some advice on this topic or help me out that'd be great!

(I understand the Rubicon comes with better drive train and 4 wheel drive capabilities (and lockers?), but I just have always felt that the rubicon was for the driver that wants to just buy and run. Not Just Empty Every Pocket ;) )

Cheers,

RubiConnor

I've done it both ways and then when it came time to do it again, I went with a Rubicon again. Why? Because I got more of what I wanted right off the bat - a 4:1 transfer case, a electronic disconnect, MyGig radio, more comfortable seats, axles with locker that work well enough and one that can be sold with ease. Unless you're going to be replacing everything right away, this is the way I would recommend going.

GCM 2

If you really are going to replace everything right away then you shouldn't even be asking the question. After replacing the axles and suspension, then really the only thing left would be the transfer case (assuming you don't put the e-lockers in your new axles) and the e-disco exluding the fit and finish interior stuff that you could probably add to a sport or Sahara.

However, if you are going to slowly replace things over time or as they break/wear out than the rubi might be worth it. You get lockers that should last a while (even with bigger tires) and axles that should hold up with 37s (new shafts are a lot cheaper than new axles).

There are plenty of people on here that have a sport, because they were going to do the same, who now wish they had bought a rubi to begin with. I think some have posted recently in the 3 things you wish you knew when you started thread.

You'll probably get many different opinions on the topic. The above is just mine. It will all depend on your budget and plans.

Good luck!

The above post basically addresses everything sensibly.

Edit: also Wayoflife's post too!

Rivertoys

It's a personal choice. I went with the base model X, and saved the $6,000 at the time over my Jeep with the options it had (both of them). I did not want power anything. I wanted a simple, somewhat old-school Jeep, with few systems to go wrong or worry about. I don't mind getting my feet dirty to disconnect the swaybar, or even lock hubs if it had manual hubs (my next axle will). I gave up the power stuff I did not want anyway, but I also gave up D44 up front, lockers, and the 4:1. I am not a dedicated rock crawler. I'm more of a desert, dunes, and fire road explorer. 4:1 doesn't matter to me at all, so that's a non-issue - for me. That leaves the axle and lockers.... With that $6K I saved, I can do a nice axle upgrade, when the time comes, and when done I'll have exactly the Jeep I personally want... That's what building Jeeps is all about, your personality. It's my toy, and I love to play with it. I love working on it, as much as I love using it. For me, it was worth it not to have any of the bells and whistles...but in the end, the money will be spent either way, and with a lot of my time.
wink.gif

There is no doubt, the Rubi is a better, more capable vehicle out of the box. If the criteria is that, then there is no other choice.

That's my $.02
crazyeyes.gif

Rule18

If you're planning to build it up past Rubi standards, why not start there and work up? For me, it cost less to buy the Rubi and go from there.

My :twocents:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
After wheeling a 4:1 transfer case last weekend, let me tell you it's night and day difference compared to the other one. It is that much better with a 6 speed too. I would say go rubi unless you plan to go with an atlas.

Rivertoys

After wheeling a 4:1 transfer case last weekend, let me tell you it's night and day difference compared to the other one. It is that much better with a 6 speed too. I would say go rubi unless you plan to go with an atlas.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll drive a Rubi some day, and call myself an idiot there-after. LOL....

IAM

Ok, I'm now convinced to buy the Rubicon model, no matter if its a 2 door or 4 door!

I am convinced too about getting a rubi. Right out of the box you don't have to do anything to it and worry about voiding the warranty. One of the positives about the rubi.

Top Bottom