Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Duty Axle Differential Cover Installation Write-Up

Fresh Catch
    Thanks for the write up... first time removing Diff covers.. wasn't excepting anything difficult but it was nice to read a write up first.... and the hint about leaving the top bolt on until it's loosened was a good idea... might not have thought of that..

Poison Spider DIFFS installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 CG JKU Rubi
    LOD mid width W/Recon winch
    Skids - RR Sway skid, Poison Spider EVAP skid,
    Modified Rock Hard Oilpan/Transmission/catalyic convertor
    EVO sleeves, C's, Synergy Tie rod and track bar, Metal Cloak drag link.
    Ten Factory axles shafts, Tom Woods 1310's FD, RD
    Teraflex 3" Full Flex CA Coil lift w/Rancho 7000 shocks
    Toyo M/T's LT285/75/17
    V-Tech Raptor 17-9" wheels
    Poison Spyder Diff Covers

sold 2Dr 2011

I also bought a pair of SOLID covers. I'm assuming I need to fill up the front and back with the stock fluids recommended? Solid's website says 3 quarts.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiChick View Post
    I also bought a pair of SOLID covers. I'm assuming I need to fill up the front and back with the stock fluids recommended? Solid's website says 3 quarts.
    If you put in 3 quarts, you will have a stinking mess as the fluid spits out of the breather tube. You need to just add the factory amount or, enough to fill the diff to the base of the axle tubes.

Fresh Catch

I felt like a pro!

I have never used the rubber mallet before, it was real cool. Thanks for the write up!

Fresh Catch

Hey, my spider is Black!

you must have painted your spider, that is what I was thinking about doing....

Fresh Catch

Changes

Hey Folks,

Yesterday I received a SOLID cover for a Dana 44, and today put it on the rear axle of my 2013 JK Rubi. I ran into a couple of things that mentioning will surely save others grief:

1 - I believe the instructions above say an H14 bit is required to install the fill plug. That was not the case with the Dana 44 SOLID cover I received yesterday, it instead required a 3/8" hex bit.

2 - As opposed to the conveniently placed straight rear sway bar in the picture above, on the stated 2012, the 2013 year model has a sway bar that on my 2013 2-dr rubi at least is quite close to the diff cover, and the sway bar follows the contour of the axle instead of going straight across. With the added bulk of the SOLID cover, the new cover was a bit tight to maneuver into place. Also, one of the 10 bolts (that take a 1/4" hex bit) supplied with the SOLID cover was physically impossible to use a hex bit on, there simply is not enough room. Perhaps if you had a ratchet that had a 1/4" hex drive, vs. a square drive, it would work. I used a large vise-grip on it, Before you scream, remember the bolt takes a hex bit so this did not affect my ability to still use a hex bit on it in the future. Additionally, the sway bar is almost directly in line with the fill hole of the SOLID cover, and made adding the new oil challenging. I ended up buying a small hand pump from Wally World and getting the 2qt+12oz of oil in with it (well, most of it, I did manage to get a bit in squeezing it as in the picture above). My recommendation, which I intend to follow if I ever have to remove the cover again, is to remove the sway bar first. Doing so would have saved me a lot of time.

On the positive side, it sure looks awesome, it doesn't leak, and has to be 4 times the weight of the stock cover, so it is assuredly MUCH tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by gigem86 View Post
    Hey Folks,

Yesterday I received a SOLID cover for a Dana 44, and today put it on the rear axle of my 2013 JK Rubi. I ran into a couple of things that mentioning will surely save others grief:

1 - I believe the instructions above say an H14 bit is required to install the fill plug. That was not the case with the Dana 44 SOLID cover I received yesterday, it instead required a 3/8" hex bit.

2 - As opposed to the conveniently placed straight rear sway bar in the picture above, on the stated 2012, the 2013 year model has a sway bar that on my 2013 2-dr rubi at least is quite close to the diff cover, and the sway bar follows the contour of the axle instead of going straight across. With the added bulk of the SOLID cover, the new cover was a bit tight to maneuver into place. Also, one of the 10 bolts (that take a 1/4" hex bit) supplied with the SOLID cover was physically impossible to use a hex bit on, there simply is not enough room. Perhaps if you had a ratchet that had a 1/4" hex drive, vs. a square drive, it would work. I used a large vise-grip on it, Before you scream, remember the bolt takes a hex bit so this did not affect my ability to still use a hex bit on it in the future. Additionally, the sway bar is almost directly in line with the fill hole of the SOLID cover, and made adding the new oil challenging. I ended up buying a small hand pump from Wally World and getting the 2qt+12oz of oil in with it (well, most of it, I did manage to get a bit in squeezing it as in the picture above). My recommendation, which I intend to follow if I ever have to remove the cover again, is to remove the sway bar first. Doing so would have saved me a lot of time.

On the positive side, it sure looks awesome, it doesn't leak, and has to be 4 times the weight of the stock cover, so it is assuredly MUCH tougher.
    The sway bar got in the way? I don't think so. Maybe the trac bar but not the sway bar.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    The sway bar got in the way? I don't think so. Maybe the trac bar but not the sway bar.
    My mistake, yes the trac bar, not the sway bar.

Oh, and I forgot the most important thing ... thanks for the great write-up Eddie!

Nothing but a Thing KingCopperhead's Avatar
    Thank you for the incredible write up. Just used it to install my poison spyder bombshell cover.

Quick pic. (I also fixed the reservoir that got whacked when rock crawling after I saw this pic lol)
    10570486_10202690169358623_3255740863875904701_n.jpg
    Last edited by KingCopperhead; 08-29-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    Grrr. Bark. Bark. Grrr.

Knows a Thing or Two ScoobyCarolanNC's Avatar

Heavy Duty Axle Differential Cover Installation Write-Up

Just bought SOLID covers & replaced the rear today on my stock 2010 with a Dana 44. The fill plug & the mounting bolts were 3/8" hex drive .

I only did the rear so far. Definitely drop the stock track bar from the drivers side. It's way easier than trying to use joints on the socket.
    Last edited by ScoobyCarolanNC; 04-12-2015 at 04:30 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast