The Washoe Jeep Squadron

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Pretty cool piece of Jeep history. My dad was part of this squadron when he was in high school and college. Washoe Jeepers_Page_1.jpg Washoe Jeepers_Page_2.jpg Washoe Jeepers_Page_3.jpg Washoe Jeepers_Page_4.jpg Washoe Jeepers_Page_5.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
That's a pretty cool find! I like that in 1958 the same arguements were going back and forth between jeeper and pencil dicked environmentalist (referred to as conservation groups in the article) as they do today.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Total self-serving bump. I'm sitting in my backyard drinking wine and talking Jeeps with my 78 year old dad (who was part of the squadron). The squadron was formed by "Tommy" Thomas because his son, my dad's best friend (Tom junior), got lost and there was no organized search and rescue in Washoe County.

Sometimes life doesn't suck.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Thanks man. I think it's cool too. Funny how Jeep runs through your blood and you may not even know why.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Bump because I brought it up in another thread, and also because some of us Wayalifers were exploring Smoky Valley over Memorial Weekend (look at the pictures in the above article).

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Thanks for sharing Sharkey. Having a slight background in search and rescue, this was an awesome read. Glad to see there were a cool bunch of good dudes even back then.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Can't say enough good things about the folks involved in search and rescue either as a career or volunteers. Great people to spend time with! [emoji482]

TRLJNKY

Now you have me curious
Flagging this for a later read. Wifey aka "General Foreman" giving me the stink eye for not working and playing lol

JKbrick

Bump because I brought it up in another thread, and also because some of us Wayalifers were exploring Smoky Valley over Memorial Weekend (look at the pictures in the above article).

Thank you for the bump, thank your father for giving of his time for others

benatc1

Hooked
this is really cool Sharkey, bet your Dad had a very cool experience in his younger years. thanks for the bump

Sharkey

Word Ninja
He makes fun of me when I talk about wanting 35's or 37's for the rubicon. I fire back and tell him their Jeeps had the wheelbase of a side by side.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Thanks man. I think it's cool too. Funny how Jeep runs through your blood and you may not even know why.

I know... Three years later, but...

My dad had a mid-1950s Jeep that he kept in our garage. That, and a 1928 Model A were my playground 40 years ago. It never completely left me, I guess.

Top Bottom